4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Is the Aisin worth the extra $ over the 68rfe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the Aisin worth the extra $ over the 68rfe?

I had the understanding that the 68rfe was a pretty darn good transmission in its own right. Is the Aisin worth the extra money? What is it about the Aisin that separates it from the 68?
Old 09-24-2014, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I vote NO, over priced slush shifter. I mean chatter shifter
Old 09-25-2014, 11:28 AM

I vote yes. It's rated for more power and it's a medium duty transmission.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The money isn't just for the tranny. You get higher hp and torque along with bigger rear and stronger frame and suspension.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:11 PM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by marathon
The money isn't just for the tranny. You get higher hp and torque along with bigger rear and stronger frame and suspension.
Not totally true, it's the same frame and suspension on 3500. You do get a small bump in HP and Torque. The money is solely for the transmission and it's over $2kUS. It does however have a higher tow rating than the 68 but if you need to tow 28-30k regularly I think a larger truck is more appropriate.

If you have the money buy one, if you need the capacity buy one, if you need a PTO buy one, but for the average guy the 68 will do.

From all owner reports they drive different so I would say test drive them back to back, good luck.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Wobblin-Goblin
I had the understanding that the 68rfe was a pretty darn good transmission in its own right. Is the Aisin worth the extra money? What is it about the Aisin that separates it from the 68?
--------------------------------------------------------------
I would say that the Aisin is somewhat better than the 68RFE but they are having alot of troubles with the torque converters in them right now.

Here is a link from another member on the issues he had:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...27#post3251627

In my opinion, all of the Dodge CTD Transmissions are weak in stock form and the FIRST thing I have done on all my Dodge CTD Transmissions is to rebuild them with better TC's, more clutch capacity, higher line pressures and always a heavier flex plate. The stock 68RFE torque converter is not much different than the early TC's in the 47RE transmissions which only have one disc with about 34 square inches of lockup clutch surface area versus three times that with a triple disc converter. If you are towing heavy or running any additional power adders that is NOT enough!

----------
John_P
Old 09-26-2014, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by John_P
--------------------------------------------------------------
I would say that the Aisin is somewhat better than the 68RFE but they are having alot of troubles with the torque converters in them right now.

In my opinion, all of the Dodge CTD Transmissions are weak in stock form and the FIRST thing I have done on all my Dodge CTD Transmissions is to rebuild them with better TC's, more clutch capacity, higher line pressures and always a heavier flex plate. The stock 68RFE torque converter is not much different than the early TC's in the 47RE transmissions which only have one disc with about 34 square inches of lockup clutch surface area versus three times that with a triple disc converter. If you are towing heavy or running any additional power adders that is NOT enough!
If I bought a Dodge CTD, it would remain 100% stock *but* I would be towing with it regularly. Trailers would range from 7k to 20k, with most of the towing in the 10-12k range.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:11 PM
Administrator

If I bought a Dodge CTD, it would remain 100% stock *but* I would be towing with it regularly. Trailers would range from 7k to 20k, with most of the towing in the 10-12k range.
---------------------------------------------------------
Then regardless of which transmission you choose I would highly recommend upgrading the internals as soon as you can.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would take a torqueshift over a 68rfe and the aisin. Best transmission is the G56
Old 09-28-2014, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by John_P
---------------------------------------------------------
Then regardless of which transmission you choose I would highly recommend upgrading the internals as soon as you can.
If that's the case, I'd rather just get the Aisin. I'm not very fond of buying a $50-$60k truck and then have to dump more money into it just so it can perform the way it's supposed to in the first place.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:15 AM
Administrator

If that's the case, I'd rather just get the Aisin. I'm not very fond of buying a $50-$60k truck and then have to dump more money into it just so it can perform the way it's supposed to in the first place.
------------
Sorry to be the "bearer of bad news" on those Dodge Transmissions Sir. Between the two, (68RFE or Aisin) the Aisin is the better choice but as I said they are also having issues.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:16 PM

If you are purchasing a DRW cab chassis and plan on putting a dump body on then go with the aisin . These are the same trannies that come from the Isuzu truck and have PTO capabilities. Or if you are towing hauling all day everyday heavy go with it if not, not worth the money
Old 10-03-2014, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kuz2gruz
If you are purchasing a DRW cab chassis and plan on putting a dump body on then go with the aisin . These are the same trannies that come from the Isuzu truck and have PTO capabilities. Or if you are towing hauling all day everyday heavy go with it if not, not worth the money
No dump body, just a fixed flatbed body with a gooseneck ball and a Reese off the back. It will be used for towing mostly with some hauling mixed in.

If the insurance isn't too bad, I wouldn't mind a DRW cab and chassis, especially a 4500 or 5500. If the insurance is too much, I'd have to settle for a 3500.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:34 AM

all this mess about having to buy the truck and rip the 68rfe out immediately..........This is a much stronger transmission in stock form than yall are portraying it to be.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by honestcharlie56
all this mess about having to buy the truck and rip the 68rfe out immediately..........This is a much stronger transmission in stock form than yall are portraying it to be.
------------------------------------------
Well if they are left COMPLETELY STOCK they might be alright but I have slipped them by adding 60 H.P. programmers! So, if you plan to modify your 4th Gen my advice is to upgrade as I said above.

-------
John_P

Quick Reply: Is the Aisin worth the extra $ over the 68rfe?