4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Is the Aisin worth the extra $ over the 68rfe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.....completely stock.....might be alright.......that's a phrase that's much more suitable to the stock setup for 47rh/re/618, whatever you want to call that trans and its incredibly low line pressure and terrible converter combination. BUT, the 68rfe I feel deserves much more credit than this thread is giving it.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Aisin and would definitely buy it again. I previously had a 68RFE and it was also good, ran it almost 100000 miles and the only problem was a sensor that went bad at about 85000. The Aisin does shift much better not to mention the extra HP and torque.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by John_P
------------------------------------------
Well if they are left COMPLETELY STOCK they might be alright but I have slipped them by adding 60 H.P. programmers! So, if you plan to modify your 4th Gen my advice is to upgrade as I said above.
If I were to buy a new Dodge, it would "probably" be a dually, and would "probably" be a cab and chassis model. It would "definitely" be left stock, powertrain wise.

My desire would be to buy a 4500 C&C, which I guess would mean an Aisin anyway. If insurance/registration ends up being too steep, then I'd look at the 3500.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:59 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
The Aisin in the 3500 pick up is different to the Chassis cabs plus the axle gearing on the 4500 and 5500 is quite low compared to the 3.42's that come stock with the Aisin pickup and I believe the only option available. Resale is also lower on the chassis cabs compared to a pick up box.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by honestcharlie56
.....completely stock.....might be alright.......that's a phrase that's much more suitable to the stock setup for 47rh/re/618, whatever you want to call that trans and its incredibly low line pressure and terrible converter combination. BUT, the 68rfe I feel deserves much more credit than this thread is giving it.
--------------------------------------
Man Charlie,.....you just can't get off how great you think the 68RFE is!

Your right,....what I said in my last post DOES apply to the earlier 47RH, 47RE, AND the 48RE too! How do I know that? Because I have owned Dodge CTD Pickups with all of those transmissions in them. They all needed to be upgraded for extra power.

But,...with that being said IN MY OPINION it also applies to the 68RFE. Sorry to have to tell you this, but the 68RFE has a torque converter similar to the older Dodge CTD and Dodge CTD CR Transmissions. It is basically a single-disc
lockup clutch and when you add power to them, they can't take it! As I said in my last post, a 60 H.P. tuner on a friends 2012 4th Gen Dodge CTD CR 6.7 resulted in the transmission slipping! I have helped take apart five of them over the last year and a half after friends have made power upgrades and they did NOT look good inside. The TC's were all fried and the clutch packs were also well worn. Two of them were fairly low mileage 4th Gens too.

Now, take that 68RFE and add a triple-disc converter, upgrade the clutch packs, add a stout flexplate and get the line pressures up and you will have a better transmission. As the OP asked, is the Aisin better than the 68RFE??
I would say yes, but there have been TC failures on those too.

---------
John_P
Old 10-07-2014, 05:48 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The Aisin in the 3500 is available in 3.42 (no clue why) 3.73 and 4.10. Ram has made the entire 13/14 2500/3500 Asin vs 68 very convoluted and confusing. The 2500 is only available in 3.42, but rumors say in 15 you can change rear. The Aisin is still only available in 3500 as far as I know. Revmax did a very in depth R&R of the current Aisin vs the previous model in the 4500/5500 trucks. Unfortunately over on CF too many Aisin owners couldn't deal with the fact a trans company was pointing out weakness in a product they spent over $2k on and the thread was locked. Shame because knowledge is power and they put a bad taste in Revmax's mouth and they left the thread. I applaud Revmax for sharing their opinion.
Anyway I am on both sides of the fence, these transmissions are very good compared to those of old but only for STOCK power. As John pointed out anything above and beyond and you are on borrowed time, worse these things are much more expensive to build. Good luck OP, stock power they are both very capable. That said without more line pressure the 68 likes to smoke 5-6, and you can read what Revmax thinks will be weak points of the new Aisin as they compared it to their experience with the previous Aisin in the 4500/5000.

I believe it's on there Facespace page, or it is on Cummins Forum in the 13+ area.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by RyeThomas
The Aisin in the 3500 is available in 3.42 (no clue why) 3.73 and 4.10. Ram has made the entire 13/14 2500/3500 Asin vs 68 very convoluted and confusing. The 2500 is only available in 3.42, but rumors say in 15 you can change rear. The Aisin is still only available in 3500 as far as I know. Revmax did a very in depth R&R of the current Aisin vs the previous model in the 4500/5500 trucks. Unfortunately over on CF too many Aisin owners couldn't deal with the fact a trans company was pointing out weakness in a product they spent over $2k on and the thread was locked. Shame because knowledge is power and they put a bad taste in Revmax's mouth and they left the thread. I applaud Revmax for sharing their opinion.
Anyway I am on both sides of the fence, these transmissions are very good compared to those of old but only for STOCK power. As John pointed out anything above and beyond and you are on borrowed time, worse these things are much more expensive to build. Good luck OP, stock power they are both very capable. That said without more line pressure the 68 likes to smoke 5-6, and you can read what Revmax thinks will be weak points of the new Aisin as they compared it to their experience with the previous Aisin in the 4500/5000.

I believe it's on there Facespace page, or it is on Cummins Forum in the 13+ area.
---------------
Great post Rye!

As always, you tell it like it is, good or bad and like me you have "first hand"
experience in dealing with added power on our Dodge CTD CR Trucks and the effects on all components (including the transmissions). You have been through the buildup on your truck with one of the BEST guys in the aftermarket Dodge CTD Transmission, namely, Tim Barber and I know he
has taught you alot.

I would also add that the newer 4th Gen Trucks with the 68RFE also have had
shifting "glitches" when the line pressure is raised on them. I do not have enough expertise on this to explain why, but have seen it happen more than once. IMHO,....they are very "touchy" when you add line pressure to the stock settings where our 48RE, 47RE and the much later 47RH Dodge Diesel transmission are NOT.

FWIW,....my 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve has a fully built "ATS Stage VI" Transmssion with all the "bells and whistles" and I am running close to 200lbs of line pressure @ WOT!! I have NEVER had a "shifting issue on that truck.

--------
John_P
Old 10-08-2014, 06:39 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by RyeThomas
Revmax did a very in depth R&R of the current Aisin vs the previous model in the 4500/5500 trucks. Unfortunately over on CF too many Aisin owners couldn't deal with the fact a trans company was pointing out weakness in a product they spent over $2k on and the thread was locked. Shame because knowledge is power and they put a bad taste in Revmax's mouth and they left the thread. I applaud Revmax for sharing their opinion.
Revmax's initial posts (the ones that were deleted in the other thread) were nothing more than what could be compared as a 3:00 am "info-mercial" and a "cheerleading session"......they condemned the AS69RC before they even had it tore down. Both Aisin and 68RFE owners alike could see the BS REVMAX was blowing up everyone's rear axle. I was interested in learning from the thread (I tow a lot and plan on keeping my truck 100% stock so I'd been fine), but when a Vendor starts off with a statement like "Many of you already know that we feel the AS68RC was and continues to be one of the worst transmissions we have come across. We are hoping that AS69RC doesn't fall into the AS68RC's shortcomings."

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/20...l#post14335641

The worst part is.....there's lots of intelligent RAM / CTD owners on CF with engineering degrees participating in the thread. The guy at REVMAX can't even crunch the numbers.....and many forum members have to do that for REVMAX within the thread (this, too, was also within the thread that was deleted).

I'd imagine most vendors would have exhibited a little more tact, couth, and respect towards potential customers in regards to their opening lines...

Then......there's the totalitarian / gorilla mentality of the moderating staff that has this mentality :

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/20...l#post14314337

Class........reallllllll class. (highest degree of sarcasm interjected here)

Needless to say....I haven't posted on that sight since 8/23/14 and highly doubt I will again anytime soon.

To the OP : I owned a 2007.5 RAM 3500 MegaCab SRW w/68RFE. 114k miles of perfect service. I opted for the Aisin in my '13 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 DRW and have it in my signature truck. For me.......it's worth the extra consumer $$$'s.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:53 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I still didn't see it that way and was one of the first posters on the original thread, but we can agree to disagree on that point. On the flip side I would take your word on the operation and thoughts on first hand experience with the trans as you are a hauler and own the Aisin. On those lines from your other posts including the one about the accident with your 13 you have been very honest and up front.
So if you want real world thoughts on the Aisin from a guy who puts some miles on these trucks, fellas ask Mr. Gsbrockman.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:55 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks, Rye. Between the two trucks, I've accumulated about 84k total miles of use with the AS69RC. The '14 with the powertrain I selected (385/850, Aisin, & 3.73's) was 100% identical to the '13.....and for a very good reason...the Aisin in the '13 sold me the second Aisin in the '14.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by gsbrockman
Thanks, Rye. Between the two trucks, I've accumulated about 84k total miles of use with the AS69RC. The '14 with the powertrain I selected (385/850, Aisin, & 3.73's) was 100% identical to the '13.....and for a very good reason...the Aisin in the '13 sold me the second Aisin in the '14.
My '94 is supposed to have 300hp and 600tq and it tows like a beast. I can't imagine having 385/850. Wow.

Tell you what, one of the reasons I'm considering a new Dodge/Cummins C&C is the braking. Even with the exhaust brake on my '94, when I'm towing heavy, the brakes leave a lot to be desired. It's a shame, too, because I just replaced the rotors, pads, and one of the two calipers and expected better braking (even though the rotors and pads are on the small side).
Old 01-05-2015, 07:56 AM
Chapter President

The 9th dodge cummins I bought was first with an automatic.
Bought new off the lot in 08, 2007 chassis cab 3500 qc 4x4 4:10 aisin, 305hp 610tq. Started getting rid of emissions stuff the day I bought it. On the dyno, Stock with EGR unpluged, crossover tube plugged, DPF removed, Pressure sensor plugged in, EGT sensors fooled with resistors, and intake valve plugged in butterfly removed. 286.5hp 547.1tq. I first tried the Hypertech Max got 373hp and 733tq, added TS mp8 451hp 888tq. Took it to the drag strip, ran 10 or so 1/4mi best 15.4 at 91mph in a 9,000lb truck. Pull in truck pull that night. Then I got a Smarty and spent a whole day on a dyno since it was one of the first cc to get the Smarty. 459.2hp 872.3tq.
And during all this time I worked with my truck. Kept it 2yrs put about 64k mi. and never had any trouble from transmission. I talk to the lawn service owner that bought the truck from me regularly and he's never had any trouble with the transmission.
So I know what the aisin can do. Sold my 01 5spd and picking up another 07.5 with the aisin this week. going to delete everything asap and have a efi tuner coming for it already.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:33 PM

I have it in my 14 Ram and it is much better than the 48 that was in my 04.5 Ram it was rebuilt 4 times!
Old 02-07-2015, 05:59 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Wobblin-Goblin
My '94 is supposed to have 300hp and 600tq and it tows like a beast. I can't imagine having 385/850. Wow.

Tell you what, one of the reasons I'm considering a new Dodge/Cummins C&C is the braking. Even with the exhaust brake on my '94, when I'm towing heavy, the brakes leave a lot to be desired. It's a shame, too, because I just replaced the rotors, pads, and one of the two calipers and expected better braking (even though the rotors and pads are on the small side).
My '98.5 had pitiful braking. A DTT auto with Smart Controller and Pacbrake helped but emergency stopping was a pucker experience everytime.
Enter my '07 and wow much better braking.
I imagine the 4th's are improved again.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If they have the same old lame loose TC then it is just going to be OK and suck pulling a heavy load.

Quick Reply: Is the Aisin worth the extra $ over the 68rfe?