4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2600 miles on odometer, not getting fuel, getting towed

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2600 miles on odometer, not getting fuel, getting towed

The past few days, I've noticed the engine requiring a few more seconds getting started. Driving this morning, the pedal went dead on acceleration like a clogged fuel filter, but recovered. Getting off the highway sitting at a stoplight, it died and didn't want to restart. Finally got it started, limped it to a friend's house. CEL came on the last mile or so with the engine bucking and actingly like I had an elephant tied to the bumper. It wouldn't restart. I pulled the fuel filter and it wasn't anything alarming. I put a new filter in anyway but it still won't start.

It's getting towed to a local dealer, but they said it will be Thursday before they can look at it. Not too thrilled.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:30 PM

Any deleats or programmer? What was the fuel level? Total miles?
Old 03-14-2011, 08:16 PM

100% stock, 2610 miles, a little over 1/2 tank of fuel. Same fuel station I've always used.

I'm curious if a CEL would come on with a clogged filter. I went through the priming proceedures on the fuel filter instructions multiple times and nothing. Fuel that came out of the filter drain was clean, but the filter element had a very grey color. Not sure that was normal for 2600 miles. If it was a clogged filter, I don't understand why it wouldn't restart.

When it was really running bad, it was like there was something lugging the engine down really hard. No unusual noises.

Also, although it sort of acted like it was starving for fuel, it would die when it was at an idle. Wondering how the fuel is delivered in the 6.7L. Is it a mechanical draw, electronic draw forward of the filter or an electronic pump at the tank and pushed to the filter. Whenever I've had a fuel filter problem on a diesel, it would idle ok but starve on higher demand.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Its an electronic pump in tank.

Not sure what your issue could be. Its under warranty, let them fix it.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:44 PM

Just got a call from the dealer, it's fixed. They said it's $130 and not covered under warranty because.....get this.....fuse "M22" that powers the fuel pump was pulled. I told them I've never pulled any fuses and honestly couldn't tell them where the fuse panel was. They said it doesn't matter, it's $130 anyway.

I asked them about the loss of throttle prior to the restart and the CEL. They said the code was low fuel pressure.

Certainly explains some, but how could the truck have been running with no fuse for the fuel pump? It would have to mean the truck was drawing fuel on its own for the past 2600 miles. It was delivered to me with 853 miles on it and I can say with 100% certainty that if it didn't have a fuse in it, it's been running without one for at least 1750+ miles.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The CP3 will draw fuel on its own with no need of a fuel pump. Duramax's use the same CP3 and no lift pump.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:39 PM
The Guru

Originally Posted by M Penwald
Just got a call from the dealer, it's fixed. They said it's $130 and not covered under warranty because.....get this.....fuse "M22" that powers the fuel pump was pulled. I told them I've never pulled any fuses and honestly couldn't tell them where the fuse panel was. They said it doesn't matter, it's $130 anyway.

I asked them about the loss of throttle prior to the restart and the CEL. They said the code was low fuel pressure.

Certainly explains some, but how could the truck have been running with no fuse for the fuel pump? It would have to mean the truck was drawing fuel on its own for the past 2600 miles. It was delivered to me with 853 miles on it and I can say with 100% certainty that if it didn't have a fuse in it, it's been running without one for at least 1750+ miles.
Seems odd, was the fuse blown? I would ask to see if the suction screen was plugged and what kinda shape it was in. I can hear mine running, really want to install a fuel pressure gauge. Helps out lots in troubleshooting.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:43 PM

No, according to the dealer, Fuse M22 was MISSING. I asked the same thing and they said it wasn't blown, it wasn't there. They blamed it on me and charged me $130 saying removing a fuse wasn't under warranty.

I asked them if they REALLY thought I would remove a fuse then be dumbfounded as to why my truck quit running. I had never been in the fuse box and didn't even ever have a reason to check where the fuse box was. It was a new truck and it didn't suddenly quit running, it ran increasingly poorly for 40 miles or so.

The dealer acknowledged with the mechanic that it was possible for the engine to run without a fuse by the suction on the sealed system alone.

At least this is the story the dealer is giving me. They stated that after pushing it into the bay, they started checking for power at the fuel pump in the tank, found no power and worked their way back to the fuse box to find the fuse missing.

The truck was never out of my possession for the last 5 weeks and no one touched the fuse box since it was delivered to my driveway with 853 miles on it. So, if the fuse was indeed missing, the truck ran well and often without a fuse for at least 1757 miles.

My other comment, in general, is that if a 6 week old truck comes in and there is in fact a fuse missing, I would have installed a fuse and told the customer to come pick it up. Again, why do they think someone would remove a fuse from a new vehicle then call to have something towed in? The more I think about it, the more I don't believe the dealer.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:50 PM

was this the selling dealer?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:29 PM

For this truck, no. They used to be a high volume diesel dealer. When the 6.7's hit, they have since only kept a few on the lot, all autos. I shopped there this time but they didn't have any manuals and wouldn't order one without it being paid in full and wouldn't do a dealer trade for one. I bought my previous 3 dodge's there. Between them not willing to order one and the service experience, I've gone there my last time. Something there has changed and changed dramatically.

As for them screwing me around, I could maybe understand if I bought the truck down the street at local competition. Having bought the truck out of South Dakota, there could have been a number of reasons I bought 850 miles away, so their acting in an juvenile manner wouldn't be readily justified.

I understand the point of the question and I agree that was likely the root cause. What a good way to drive away ANY of my business. I've always bought all of my Mopar stuff there and that's been quite a lot over 3 trucks.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:25 PM

what is the name of the dealer in St Louis? We had talked to a dealer there about a new durango and had a terrible experience. Even sent an email to the manager stating how bad it was . This is something i would rarely do
Old 03-24-2011, 05:15 PM

The dealer was South County DCJ. I also just heard from Chrysler that they are denying my warranty claim for the money. I'm rather shocked at the whole warranty thing. Making me think REALLY **** hard about doing a delete now. I was dead set on keeping it stock thru the 100k.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:04 PM

Any chance that something might have gotten damaged when it "leaned" from lack of fuel?? I'd hate to see them blame you for it.

I'm not very knowledgable about diesels (I'm learning) - sorry if it's a dmb question.

With all the work I have done to my vehicles in order for me to drive, I'm very aware how dealers act about claims they lose money on - I could go on for hours about it......no matter what happens - the other guy caused it (fuurd is the worse).
Old 03-24-2011, 06:10 PM

I would tell them to take there fuse out, and bring your own and leave and tell them you will never do business with them again. That is ridiculous
Old 03-26-2011, 08:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good god, $130 for a fuse? Dispute it on your CC if you paid that way, make them try to justifty that cost. And I thought the local dealer to me was a rip........