4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2011 3500 c&c will not pass emissions

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bluesurf... I don't even think that's the complete truth. How does a DPF not get clogged and need an active regen in 29,000 miles of usage? I know SCR reduces the need, for an active regen, but 29K miles and still none? I don't buy it. If anything I think it's not actually logging the regens when they happen.

BTW, don't these guys have some kind of scan tool to see when the truck goes into an active regen? It seems crazy to just drive a specific way and hope a regens happens.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:50 AM

Agreed but this comes down from the top at Chrysler. I have a rep and have talked to them also. It will regen but it never completely rehens. Idk. I have always complained about the mileage, and it seems to regen a lot. Just sucks though. I need this truck for work badly as my business is crazy this time of year.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Delete
Old 04-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Do you know if the PCM has been updated to latest flash? Look under your hood and there will be a sticker with the PCM flash part number Usually located on fuse box cover or hood. Post that number and I can check if it is the most resent flash file. Several problems have been addressed with new flash. Federal law requires a sticker after any PCM flash is done.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:40 PM

As far as the flash question goes. The truck was flashes with several new flashes in sept/October. I know one addressed the terrible shift pattern. And no there is not a sticker from any of the flashes but I may be able to look it up in the paperwork. Talked to another service writer and he had a different story today. The long fast/slow ride they did this am did not work. They want to try and get an exception from the inspection to pass. I will not accept a truck back that will not pass readily. I am now convinced that I will be working toward a buy back.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by bluesurf
As far as the flash question goes. The truck was flashes with several new flashes in sept/October. I know one addressed the terrible shift pattern. And no there is not a sticker from any of the flashes but I may be able to look it up in the paperwork. Talked to another service writer and he had a different story today. The long fast/slow ride they did this am did not work. They want to try and get an exception from the inspection to pass. I will not accept a truck back that will not pass readily. I am now convinced that I will be working toward a buy back.
Yup, it's buy back time for sure... Because if you keep it, you're just going to go through this BS every time it needs an emissions check, and it'll end up being on your dime. Not that it isn't already costing you $$$.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:35 PM

Big iron these are the flashes listed on the paperwork
18-19-04-9n
18-19-14-9b
18-19-14-9b
18-19-05-95
Thanks for looking to see if I have the current flashes. I did ask them to make sure I was up to date but you never know. These were done all on 10/18/12. Thanks
Old 05-05-2013, 09:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Any updates? Thanks!
Old 05-05-2013, 11:47 AM

The only update is that I have the truck back. It passed the emissions test once the dealer and my dodge rep talked to the right engineers. It needed a very specific drive cycle to reset the monitors. I spoke with the rep about buy back and he said no way. He also said I will have to live with the fact that I may not may not pass the emissions test. So I asked if this would be fixed for the my13. He could not answer that question. He said it depends on my driving habits. So I asked what specific driving habits do I need to do. Could not answer. I said that I pull a 10k trailer with attachments in the truck, I drive to vt and back highway, I do local, I pull a boat etc. still didn't work. He said that my truck runs too clean and told me about the sprinters and the problems that they are having. They are too clean so the monitors never reset thus failing mass emissions. I asked if they plan to write new software and he said they should but have no plans to as they don't feel anything Is wrong. I asked why doesn't th ford and Chevys experience this? He says they are completely diff systems. They have 8 cyl in v and cummins r straight six. No ****!!! After a long conversation I was offered no compensation and no answers about my truck and he instilled no confidence in this brand for me. I left the conversation stating " thank you, he said what for, I replied for talking me out of buying a new dodge as it would have cost me a lot of money and it would not have solved my problem. He had a loss for words. Now the dealer is working on my behalf to get me some compensation. Sorry for the long winded version. Ill update if anything comes of this.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:59 AM

On a side note I hauled a few 13k # loads with the truck just to make sure it was good. When empty I get 13 mpg and under. With a full Load It is getting 14.5. And it has a boatload of power. Why do these trucks come alive with a load on. Is it in the programming, is Itload based?
And lastly the vibration has changed from 72 mph to 65. I assume that the rear driveshaft is the culprit. And the steering has been over corrected now pulls to the left. I think the problem is there is slop in the steering box. So it will go back to the dealer when I get a chance.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the update. I think you are the first person say that they get better mileage under load.
I hope they give you some compensation. I don't understand how they can say your truck doesn't have a problem, because if that was true, wouldn't every truck like yours in MA have the same issues?
Old 05-05-2013, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Marine
Thanks for the update. I think you are the first person say that they get better mileage under load.
I hope they give you some compensation. I don't understand how they can say your truck doesn't have a problem, because if that was true, wouldn't every truck like yours in MA have the same issues?

I agree. He said that is comes down to driving style. What style that is is up in the air. I know for sure that there are a lot of problem with these in mass. The assistance center deals with a few per week. My problem is I bought truck out if state so they do not know how to fix them quickly. And the dodge engineers don't seem to help them too much either. I ha some contacts at Chrysler that knew how to fix the truck right away but neither the dealership or my satisfaction rep would give these people a call. Once I screamed at my ram satisfaction rep to call these engineers directly the truck was then fixed in two days. There is a problem with these trucks in mass. It is hit or miss but there is a problem with the monitors not staying ready. So at this point I will see where the dealer can get me. I am friendly with one owner an do landscape work for them. They are as good as it gets for dodge dealers around me. I would love compensation. Whether in the form of tires, radio upgrade, money or a really good price on a 13 or even just being bought out of the truck. I just don't want to deal with this every two years. They don't give these trucks away and they should be able to pass routine inspections. Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:28 PM

im not sure how other trucks/models work but mine is somewhat doggy when unloaded. I have always complained about the mileage. In warm months i see 12/13mpg and in the winter i see 11/12mpg and in winter the truck is always empty. but when the truck is loaded up or towing heavy it feels much more powerful night/day difference. and like i said i see 1.5 mpg better when loaded to capacity. towing really kills the mileage though. not sure what this means but just an observation. next tank i will hand calc the truck when weighted to see if the lie o meter is just lying to me or not.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like your truck is doing passive regens. That is why they say it is running so clean. It never has to fully go into a regen because of your driving style which is a good thing. They had to drive it at those speeds to make it go into a normal regen. I beat you are one of the few.

I would keep that truck. I wouldn't want one that goes into regen all the time. That's when they eat up fuel.

Edit: They could have explained it to you better in laymans terms so you could understand it.