4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2011 3500 c&c will not pass emissions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 3500 c&c will not pass emissions

I brought the truck in for a sticker. Failed emissions. drove truck for 1700 miles of mixed driving with some long highway excursions. Went back for retest. Machine spit out a paper saying inspection cannot proceed. So i go to the mass assistance center. they say the problem is known. and they are flagging these vehicles because the epa has an ongoing investigation into dodge. what they claim is that the computer is not correctly utilizing the sensors. for me the catalyst heater monitor, 02 sensor monitor, 02 sensor heater monitor are all not ready. I have an appt for monday at the dealership. my question is has anyone else had this problem, have you been able to correct it. I just cannot be driving around rejected pulling my equipment dot just love this situation. any advice or help will be greatly appreciated as i have to do my homework before going to dealership because they never have a clue.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by bluesurf
So i go to the mass assistance center.

Massachusetts?

If so I'm in Texas, so can't help 'ya...

Can they not tell you EXACTLY what is out of range?
Old 04-04-2013, 01:18 PM

Yes the three sensors I listed are listed as NOT READY on the printout. That is all I have to work with. Catalyst het monitor, o2 sensor monitor, o2 sensor heater monitor. Yes massachusetts. Thanks
Old 04-04-2013, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yikes.. Does that include 2012 models as well (did they say if the 2012s were being investigated by the EPA as well?

Doesn't sound good, I only have 10k on mine so far, have I believe 5 years before inspection is required here in WA State. Maybe I will need trade it in for a 2014 or 15 before then. :O
Old 04-04-2013, 04:08 PM

Dealing with a govt agency here! They only said newer dodges with diesel. Our emissions testing here only consists of plugging into the obd port and reading the info. If no codes are present it passes. Unless you are me. I have no codes and it is not passing because the sensors are not ready. I believe it is just a programming issue. But it is a real inconvenience to me and others that have to deal with it. I am hoping that someone has some experience with this and can give me more insight. Because I am ready to rid myself of this truck as it is quite problematic. Thanks
Old 04-04-2013, 06:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Are they saying that Dodge isn't utilizing the sensors correctly? Or that the inspection station computers do not read their statuses correctly?

Either way, sounds like the end user gets the run around for something completely out of their control.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:29 PM

Yes runaround for sure. It seems like what they are saying is that dodge is not using the sensors correctly. And that they are working in the consumers best interest as they are doing their best to get dodge to fix their problem. That is as far as I got with them for information.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:52 PM

I have a 2012 and been getting 02 sensor issues. They replaced the 02 sensors a couple of times, the o2 computer once and just replaced my DPF.
(last round all at my cost).
They blamed my fuel quality on the problem. I sent a sample away and the results are in that the fuel although has sediment and water in it, the filter should have filtered out any contaminants.

My battle with dodge will ensue.

In my quest to find out what could have plugged up my dpf I was informed by a Master Mechanic that the "catalyst heater contoller" probably failed and causing incorrect 02 sensor readings hence why they have replaced them a few times. (plugged off)
This will plug a DPF up and not allow it to go into regen as it cannot build the heat required.

We need a investigation into this here in Canada.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:52 AM

Thanks for the reply. I too have had the 2 of the 02 sensors replaced. I hope I am not going down the road your on. I will say the truck will be gone before I start paying out of pocket on a truck still under warranty. The prob is what do I buy. I think I will stay away from diesel for awhile unless I find something pre 07. Thanks
Old 04-05-2013, 09:00 AM

When I get back to town I am going to sit down with the Service Manager and have a chat with him.

We are running the 2012 Ford Diesels at work. They pretty much idle all day every day with a light run for fuel every day.
So far I am really impressed with the lack of maintenance required and the amount of fuel and def they are using.

On the other hand I know my Dodge can't idle all day every day otherwise the dpf plugs up.

I think Dodge needs to step up and make right their dpf system. It is garbage.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:10 AM

If you get any usefully info please pass it along. I will do the same on Monday. How much did you have to pay to get your truck fixed?
Old 04-05-2013, 12:40 PM

I found it... I thought I had saved a copy...

Here's the procedures to get emissions sensors ready..

Emissions Monitor ready state - 2010-2012 Cummins 6.7
Old 04-05-2013, 01:24 PM

Thanks for that information. Is this something that I am supposed to do before emissions testing or is it for the dealer to do. Seems kinda crazy. Prob why the EPA is getting involved.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by bluesurf
Thanks for that information. Is this something that I am supposed to do before emissions testing or is it for the dealer to do. Seems kinda crazy. Prob why the EPA is getting involved.

It's the procedure given to the dealers to use if/when someone comes in saying their emissions sensors aren't showing ready... In a case like this, if you take your truck in, they would use these procedures....

If I were you, I'd do the procedures and take it back to get the testing done. If it fails, then I would probably take it back to the dealer...
Old 04-05-2013, 02:01 PM

So I would attempt to do that but I am locked out of the ability to test the vehicle. Per this whole EPA nonsense. The best part is my dealer is in another state and can't do a sticker for the truck. So I will see what happens Monday. Thanks

Quick Reply: 2011 3500 c&c will not pass emissions