3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Why are my wipers stopping mid-stroke?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are my wipers stopping mid-stroke?

So I bought my 3rd Dodge Ram yesterday, a 2003 one-ton with a CTD and 6 speed. I love the truck, traded in my '98 to get it. We bought it at a local used dealer and just as we left the parking lot after signing the papers, I hit the wash/wiper button. The wipers did their thing, then stopped after a few swipes... in the middle of the windshield. I have tried again & again turning them on & off, hoping they'd drop down against the cowl with no luck. Here's how they are sitting now.-

It's a real PITA to look around them while driving. I went to the dealer today & bought a new multi-function switch ($60), after reading on here that someone had the same problem & that fixed it. Well, no luck with my truck. I'm guessing there has to be a sensor somewhere that tells the wipers where to stop, but beyond that I'm clueless.

Anyone ever dealt with this problem or heard a fix for it? I searched on here & read about 2 hrs worth of material with no real answer. I'm stumped. The really crappy thing is that I have a 1200 mile drive on Saturday and I really don't want my wipers blocking my vision the whole time. Guess I could always remove the arms...
Old 06-28-2007, 07:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Most likely it's the wiper module. The module contains the motor and internal parking switch for the blades.

MikeyB
Old 06-28-2007, 07:37 PM

Happen to me with my 1998 motor failure was supprising cheap at the dealer came with the rod and everything.

Buzzman
Old 06-28-2007, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have to, you can remove the wiper arms until you figure out how to get the wiper motor to get working again. At least that way they will be out of your way.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyB
Most likely it's the wiper module. The module contains the motor and internal parking switch for the blades.

MikeyB
Originally Posted by Buzzman
Happen to me with my 1998 motor failure was supprising cheap at the dealer came with the rod and everything.

Buzzman
I'll try the wiper module tomorrow, I'm not one to throw parts at a problem but I figured this would be a simple fix. Thanks for the info guys.

Originally Posted by tacohat
If you have to, you can remove the wiper arms until you figure out how to get the wiper motor to get working again. At least that way they will be out of your way.
Yep, that's what I figured. I'd hate to do that, would really like to have wipers for my drive.