3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Where to buy Diesel Fuel??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to buy Diesel Fuel??

G'day guys,

Having only just purchased my CTD, i have experienced an unsualy problem - where do you buy Diesel?

I have been shocked how difficult it is to find a station that sells diesel. Is this widespread throughout the USA or have i just been unlucky in my local area.

In Australia every station has at least 1 diesel bowser, and there are a lot less diesels over there.

Do you have problems when travelling?

Cheers,

Batts
Old 08-12-2004, 08:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my area (eastern Iowa) I have the best luck at farm/implement areas, Co-op sites, and truck stops. Some smaller stations have a lone pump off to the side or in back, but many do not. Several small stations around here are Card-Only, open 24 hours, but require a credit or Co-Op membership card for fuel. If you are ever pressed while traveling, I would invest in one of the Trucker's Atlases. They list pretty much every truckstop accross the country, and several I have seen also list the various diesel and truck supply shops and dealers. Handy, but usually relies heavily on our Interstate Highway System. Several major US and State Highway routes are usually listed, but sometimes less information is shown for them. The Big Rigs carry far more fuel than I have seen any Dodge carry, even with dual tanks and a bed tank! So, running short away from the major routes isn't usually a concern.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:25 PM

You'll soon figure out where to find fuel for your truck. There are more than you think - you just haven't seen fit to see them before.

As a new guy, one thing to remember is that diesel fuel stinks. It stinks on your shoes/boots, on your hands/gloves, and on your clothes if you accidently rub the hose with your jacket...... rubbing up against that hose can also permenantly stain that nice jacket you like to wear. I've read where some guys use throw away rubber gloves to wear while fueling.

Sometimes I don't mind the aroma of #2; but sometimes, in some places the stink isn't welcome.

But I do love the aroma of the CTD first thing in the morning after starting her up.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:25 PM

Things are differant here in Texas! Many service stations have Diesel, not only those on interstates. Within 5 miles of my house there must be at least 10 that have diesel and at better prices than those on Interstates.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:17 PM

Re: Where to buy Diesel Fuel??

Originally posted by Batts
Having only just purchased my CTD, i have experienced an unsualy problem - where do you buy Diesel?
How about this link

and this link

Also these people provide diesel to stations in WA so they should have a list of diesel accounts.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:16 AM

As stated there are plenty of stations that sell diesel, especially up there in Seattle. Try your local Shell station. Here in Portland almost all of the Shell statons sel the stuff, The Chverons & 76 stations don't.
Worst case is head toward the interstate, I garrantee you will find some there
Old 08-13-2004, 05:20 AM

Batts - in the US your looking for a pump, not a bowser, whatever that is.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:09 AM

You have to look around alittle and get out of the city. I had the same proable up at Marysville the other day. Try north in Lynnwood.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the responses guys: perhaps my problem was I was looking for a bowser not a pump.

Its just one of those "culture shock" things... you get use to every station having one, then you have to look for them. No doubt they will start popping up. I asked the question incase on certain designated stations were allowed to sell it or similar. As I mentioned in my previous post, the strange thing is there are more "trucks" on the road here per capita...

Thanks again guys...

Batts
Old 08-13-2004, 12:29 PM

Batts,

In the states, diesel pumps have green nosles and some also have green hoses. But double check. Some stations have the diesel pumps mixed with the gas (petro), others have then separate from the gas pumps. Of course the truck (lori) stops are mostly diesel.
Good luck.

Pete
Old 08-13-2004, 01:35 PM

I keep a pair of $1.50 gloves from tractor supply in the map pocket of my truck for filling up...
Old 08-14-2004, 11:15 AM

Go to your local auto supply store or GI Joes and pick up a diesel fuel 5 gallon can. Fill it with fuel and keep it in the bed of your truck, if you have a cover or topper that is. I keep 5 gals in mine just incase I become stupid and let her go dry. I usaully dirve mine until it's been on empty for at least a day or two.
The way DC set up the reserve I can get another 50 to 100 miles after the fuel warrning lamp has come on
Old 08-14-2004, 11:43 AM
Banned

Yep, green nozzles. But not always! So don't go by just that. There was a thread recently here about someone who grabbed the green handle, filled 'er up and it quit 3 miles down the road. 35 gallons of gasoline in the tank!

I buy a box of rubber gloves (something like $3.99 for 300) and use one per fill up. Also handy for rooting around in the engine or working on stuff.

I didn't have any problems finding gas when I lived up that way. You'll develop an eye for noticing the pumps pretty quickly.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:36 PM

I also tossed a disposable rubber glove in my console when I bought the CTD but at 21K I haven't had to use it yet....just lucky I guess but each time everyplace I have been has paper towels, I use one to set the nozzle and another to hang it up.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:56 PM

In the Seattle area try:

76 on Holman Road near Dick's Drive-in
76 on Aurora and 15554 north
76 in Lynnwood on 44th just off I-5
Shell on 600 South Michigan Street...expensive
Ernie's Fuel Stop 22018 84th S Kent....Fresh Fuel
Burien BP 14807 1st Ave South...expensive
Texaco South Lander and 4th Ave South......sometimes better price down the street at the truck stop on 4th and South Horton
Pacific Card Lock at 200th and 84th south Kent....credit cards only good price
Flying-J Fife...Port of Tacoma Road west of I-5... My Favorite but very busy most of the day and night and don't even go near the place on a Friday this place pumps more fuel than any other place around they are the first to raise and lower prices in reflecting the oil market

Hope this helps the best mostly you want to go to a station that pumps lots of fuel freshness is important.

Quick Reply: Where to buy Diesel Fuel??