3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

when life gives you lemons

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry when life gives you lemons

hey guys,new to this so be gentle. Been following this web sight for a while,liked all the things I was hearing about ctd so bought one. This is where it gets interesting. First I love the truck,does every thing I need it to do until recently. Truck is over a year old and has 26000 miles already, I drive alot. Took truck to dealer for trans/transfer case service,also told dealer had slight miss above idle they said no problem. This was Nov 1st. Two days later dealer says problem with #1 injector will replace. One week later no call from dealer so I called him. they tell me star wont release the injector until more tests are done I agree. Four days later, dealer calls and says its not the injector but the valve train for #1 cylinder says he ordered the parts will be a couple of days,right. two weeks later, my buddy the dealer calls and tells me now its the short block.At this point I asked about getting a loaner or a rental until my truck was done this is were he wasnt my buddy anymore.Sorry no can do.After getting no where with the dealer I decieded to call dodge,big mistake.Dealer calls me and demands i give him maint. records or there not going to fix it,which i have but hes not getting them. To make a long story short,after many calls to dodge and the dealer they agreed to replace the block with a rebuilt one. They would not even give me the name and number of the zone rep. Got the truck back Dec 6th,going back to dealer on the 7th worse then i brough it in.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No Flames here, I hate anyone having truck trouble with these expensive rigs.

This (and other issues) is why I bought a DMX this time around. DC and Ford and GM forget that we pay their wages...... I voted with my $$$ this time .

What, out of morbid curiosity was wrong enough to warrant a shortblock replacement?
Old 12-10-2004, 05:23 PM

Tech said that number 1 cylinder was 60 thousands over bore,wrist pin was nocking
Old 12-10-2004, 05:36 PM

I feel your pain. I do hope that DC does the right thing for you on your truck.

Makes me when people get the short end of the stick.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Get a lemon law lawer right now. You are getting screwed. You are entitled to get 100% of your money back minus the miles you put on it, AND compensation for your trouble, AND your lawers fees, and a FREE rental car.

They will aways settle out of court to keep the truck from become a "legal lemon".

I would NEVER let them replace the engine. Now the serial numbers don't match the truck your bought. When you go to sell or trade the truck you must disclose to the buyer (because you are an honest man) the fact that the motor has been replaced. This will DRASTICALLY effect the value of the vehicle.

You bought the vehicle new right? You did not want a replacement motor?

The fact that the #1 cylinder was .060 over was a quality issue and the block should have been scraped, but DC passed it on to you hoping it would work. They jeopordized you, your family, the public, all for the sake of 1 engine block and to save money.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:55 PM

started the lemon law process, have a lawyer says uphill battle over the limit but will try DC is a waste of time
Old 12-10-2004, 06:13 PM
Chapter President

Originally posted by archer61
started the lemon law process, have a lawyer says uphill battle over the limit but will try DC is a waste of time
HUH?
Old 12-10-2004, 06:14 PM

I thought NJ was a liberal state?

Here in NE I got everything I talked about and MORE. I got a new Dodge gasser at $1,000 off invoice in 96.

Are you sure your lawer is a lemon law lawer? Ask very specifically if he has done this before. If not get another lawer who has, it is THAT important. My lawer wrote 1 letter, I took the Jeep to an independant arbitrator and they bought the Jeep bak. Took about a month if I remember right.

I cannot stress enough man, if you bought the truck new you are getting SCREWED! Do not let them replace a defective motor (from the factory) and not pay for your time and trouble. Thats what the consumer protection laws are for.

IMHO.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:44 AM

Man,I am sure glad I have a great dealer.Hope it works out for you.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:33 AM

I'm sure its possable but in 5 years or more reading the diesel(and handled D.C.products for 4 years) sites have never heard/read a out of tolerance overbore in a Cummins.The #1 injector is always the one that THUMPS through the fuel rail.Taking a week or more for this and that is because someone wasn't calling STAR or working on your truck.They were working on other stuff.They "D.C." don't have to provide rental unless a service contract provides for this.Thats just how it is.They "D.C."and other manufactures will almost NEVER give the comsumer a phone # directly to the Rep.They "D.C."should and usually will set up a meeting at that dealer or another for you and the REP to meet.My gut feeling is a misdiagnosis, STARS also.Thats why they wanted more looking into..Just sounds and smells wrong for some reason tho it could be a overbore but I'd have to see it/feel it etc.to believe it.If it was 60 thou over and a loose wrist pin ,one its not a D.C. quality problem but Cummin.Its shipped to D.C.a total built engine.It also should have had some NOISE.Piston slap cold and or more noise then that.The RENTAL issue brings up more ill will and arguments the then actual repair time after time.The non matching numbers personaly would not bother me at all.But I would have wanted all NEW parts(i.e complete engine etc.) Just my thoughts on this.Maybe for gigs call CUMMIN and ask if they have had any warranty engines because of overbore conditions.Just dosen't sound right.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:33 AM

I ain't no engine expert but...

I have to agree with Hounddog on this one. Sounds fishy to me, and more like an injector or valve issue. I doubt you would have gotten 26,000 miles with just a miss. I would call cummins and run your symptoms by them, or take it to a cummins repair shop.

Just my .02

Mike
Old 12-11-2004, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by Hounddog
The non matching numbers personaly would not bother me at all
But you would not pay full retail for it. You would expect a reduced price right? Ask any dealer about buying a used truck that has a rebuilt motor put in it? Would you buy a $30,000 truck that has had the engine replaced by who knows who? I would not, but the point is the VALUE of the vehicle simply is less now with a replaced motor, due to a DEFECTIVE motor. You have no idea who did the work and how good a mechanic they are. That truck is now an orphen.

I do agree with you though, how can you tell its .060 over without taking the head off?
Old 12-11-2004, 09:04 AM

If it was 60 thou over and a loose wrist pin ,one its not a D.C. quality problem but Cummin.Its shipped to D.C.a total built engine.It also should have had some NOISE.Piston slap cold and or more noise then that.The RENTAL issue brings up more ill will and arguments the then actual repair time after time.The non matching numbers personaly would not bother me at all.But I would have wanted all NEW parts(i.e complete engine etc.) Just my thoughts on this.Maybe for gigs call CUMMIN and ask if they have had any warranty engines because of overbore conditions.Just dosen't sound right.
The warranty is enforced by DC not Cummins. Under the lemon law you are entitled to reimbursement of actual expenses for a rental car if yours is the shop more than X number of days or in the shop for the same problem more than 3 times.

I'm telling you I have been through this. Get a lemon law lawer or you will get screwed.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:29 PM

Well I have handled MANY engine replacements under warranty.No one gave a rats butt about macting numbers and when time to sell or trade in I've NEVER known this to EVER be discussed.Maybe in retro rebuilt old American muscle cars and what not its a issue but in these trucks.How many of US woulde buy a used Dodge Ram or Powerstroke and even think to see if numbers match.If a GOOD tech puts a engine in normally you can not tell its ever had one unless super close inspections of bolt threads etc.Theres been a few post that they had complete engines in 500 mile trucks and could not tell it was even apart.I understand about the three trys on lemon law but the DEALERS can't GIVE a rental to every auto/truck held more then 3 days etc.and stay in business.Its got to be PAID for by somebody and the FACTORY won't pay eaither.The D.C.store I was at we had 80 plus autos/trucks a day come in and LOTS were there more then 3 days.I was with a Pontiac dealer that we had 4 full time trans techs,3 engine techs and a total of 50 odd techs.We have gone home omn a Friday night with over a HUNDRED carry overs.Most of these folks were NOT in a rental at OUR exspence.The ones with service contracts WERE IF it was covered and it had a MAX of 5 days.Some were out of there autos more then 5 and then balance was on them.Just like insurance.Yes it would be nice to jusft hand rentals to everybody, just impossable.I understand fully who the warranty is through my comment on Q.C.was that Cummin built and assembled it.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:02 PM

Well If a GOOD tech puts a engine in normally you can not tell its ever had one unless super close inspections of bolt threads etc.Theres been a few post that they had complete engines in 500 mile trucks and could not tell it was even apart.I understand about the three trys on lemon law but the DEALERS can't GIVE a rental to every auto/truck held more then 3 days etc.and stay in business.Its got to be PAID for by somebody and the FACTORY won't pay either.
I am relating the situation I had and the LEGAL ARGUMENTS my LAWYER used in the letter he wrote to DCwhen I WON THE LAW SUIT. The LEGAL ARGUMENT is that the vehicle is not worth as much when it is disclosed to a potential buyer (and according to the law it must be disclosed) that the motor is not original. If you or the dealer knowling sold this vehicle with a new engine and the new buyer finds out you can be (and should be) sued. I respect your opinion, and you are entitled to it, but it is not relavent to the conversation. I am trying to convcey LEGAL points to the guy with the problem about what his LEGAL RIGHTS are, and what LEGAL ARGUMENTS he can use to be successful are under the lemon law.

The cost of MY RENTAL CAR was paid for by DC because under the NEBRASKA LEMON LAW all accutal out of pocket expenses inccured during this time period without the vehicle can claimed. Of course the dealer will not voluntarily give you a "loaner", I did not say that. What I said, again, was when I SUED DC under the NEBRASKA LEMON LAW my LAWER got them to pay my rental car expenses.

My advice for the 3rd time is to get a LEMON LAW LAWER.

Quick Reply: when life gives you lemons