3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

what tires did u replace ur stocks with??

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 04:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Toto
04 305 555 2wd

My truck calls for 265 70 17 E

I see many of you useing a 285 70 17...about an inch bigger OD.
Did you have to have your computer recalibrater for speedo and ABS?

I had mine recalibrated at the dealer while I watched. Easy, just took a couple of minutes or so. My speedo is dead on with the 285s.

I forgot what they charged, but it wasn't much. I had also just added a leveling kit, so i had them realign it at the same time. I drove straight from the tire store to the dealer (1 mile) and had both things done.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey TexasCTD,
Did they say anything about a limit on tire size/calibration at the dealer?
I think I read on here that 285's were the max for any dealer???????
If that's the case, then heck, Maybe it's worth just going to the dealer and
have them do it with anything larger but at the max (285) size.
It will still be off but not as bad. Right? Someone school me.
Also, I've been told that the speedo is the only thing that needs to be
calibrated. This person also said that the computer will do the rest on it's own.
Anyone know for a fact if this true or not?

Hey Toto,
Found another photo, in real life. They do look a little aggresive huh?

Maybe I need to rethink things. Those lugs sure are spaced wide apart.
Hmmm. Still, there are a lot of sypes!

The Fruitman
Old 09-08-2006, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitman
Hey TexasCTD,
Did they say anything about a limit on tire size/calibration at the dealer?
I think I read on here that 285's were the max for any dealer???????
If that's the case, then heck, Maybe it's worth just going to the dealer and
have them do it with anything larger but at the max (285) size.
It will still be off but not as bad. Right? Someone school me.
Also, I've been told that the speedo is the only thing that needs to be
calibrated. This person also said that the computer will do the rest on it's own.
Anyone know for a fact if this true or not?

The Fruitman

Fruitman,

I believe I read on here from others, that on the 06 trucks you can only have it recalibrated up to the 285 tire size. Why that is I don't know. On the 03-05 trucks they can be recalibrated I guess to any size tire.

I would agree that it would only make sense to go ahead and have it calibrated up to the 285 size tire, even if you are going bigger.....therefore your speedo would be off less that it was. There may be an aftermarket programmer/box that can fix that and correct to it the right size as well. Smarty?

Hopefully somebody who knows the answer to that can chime in with it.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:28 PM

Oh yea, aftermarket devices a-kimbo. Heck, some tire web sites have pop-ups on their pages for them. 300 bills though for some I've seen. And I believe, some performance chips have programming capabilities for tire sizes too. Those devices would be cool if you switch a lot, but me, once I go, I stay. Heck I drove my old Ram 1/2 ton with 285's for almost 10 years and there were no adverse affects on the truck or me. Amazingly.

Off-Topic a bit:
Now I might be changing my mind about my tire choice again.

I was on another forum (sorry for the infidelity ) and became interested in the Toyo Open Country M/T's. Especially when I found out I could get 35x12.50R17's mounted/balanced, for $232.00 at a local well known shop!!!!!!! Local vs. Internet (for something like this) .

I really like my original five choices and I bet I had the Toyo's in the top ten, but I was only looking at prices online. And they were high, or comprable to the PJ Dirt Grips I was gonna get. But I can only get the PJ's online. The closest dealer want's almost 300 each, and I have to drive a couple hours to pick them up, and he can't mount them for me (Jeep Dealer). If I order them online, sure I can get them mounted and balanced but only if I buy wheels too. It starts to become a no brainer after doing the math.

If anyone out there feels I might be making a mistake with the Toyo's, please speak up. I respect all your opinions, even if I might not agree with them becasue they are wrong . Just kidding, it's Friday at 5:11 and I'm still at work, so who's the ?

The Fruitman
(sorry for all the smiles, I'm tired)
Old 09-08-2006, 05:25 PM

Oh yea, aftermarket devices a-kimbo. Heck, some tire web sites have pop-ups on their pages for them. 300 bills though for some I've seen. And I believe, some performance chips have programming capabilities for tire sizes too. Those devices would be cool if you switch a lot, but me, once I go, I stay. Heck I drove my old Ram 1/2 ton with 285's for almost 10 years and there were no adverse affects on the truck or me. Amazingly.

Off-Topic a bit:
Now I might be changing my mind about my tire choice again.

I was on another forum (sorry for the infidelity ) and became interested in the Toyo Open Country M/T's. Especially when I found out I could get 35x12.50R17's mounted/balanced, for $232.00 at a local well known shop!!!!!!! Local vs. Internet (for something like this) .

I really like my original five choices and I bet I had the Toyo's in the top ten, but I was only looking at prices online. And they were high, or comprable to the PJ Dirt Grips I was gonna get. But I can only get the PJ's online. The closest dealer want's almost 300 each, and I have to drive a couple hours to pick them up, and he can't mount them for me (Jeep Dealer). If I order them online, sure I can get them mounted and balanced but only if I buy wheels too. It starts to become a no brainer after doing the math.

If anyone out there feels I might be making a mistake with the Toyo's, please speak up. I respect all your opinions, even if I might not agree with them becasue they are wrong . Just kidding, it's Friday at 5:11 and I'm still at work, so who's the ?

The Fruitman
(sorry for all the smiles, I'm tired)
I only have personal experience with the Toyo M-55's, but they only come as large as stock - I love them. I have met a couple in the field with the M/T's - they seem to love them and have reported fairly good wear +/- 45000 km.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:28 PM

Thanks Festus, that's what I'm hearing too, around 40k + which to me is excellent for a M & S rated tire.

Yea, the Dirt Grips look great, and who knows, maybe they are. I just wish I could get more feedback on them.

Fruity
Old 09-08-2006, 06:42 PM

H2 take offs with the 315/70/17 BFGoodrich all terrain TA KO not real loud at all. Fill the wheel wells real nice no rubbing alot of guys here run them you can find them on ebay reasonable.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:54 PM

Fruitman,

My friend had PJ Dirt Grips on a F350 for almost 50K. He towed overweight as much as he drove unloaded.

He has had BFG's, Interco's and them. Said that the PJ's were the best. Hope this helps.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:56 AM

forcefed88,
No stuff, I knew someone out there had them. So now If only I could get them local, and cheap.
Part of the reason I'm holding out is to see what I can do local.

The internet is great, and It's basically like when I was younger buying stuff out of a JC Whitney catalog for my minibike. But I think if I can get a good deal on one of my other choices locally, then any problems I may encounter can be dealt with on a personal level. That's the only thing that bugs me about a purchase like this. These are "wear" items.

I hate decisions.

The Fruitman
Old 09-11-2006, 02:03 PM

Has anyone run the BFG AT KO 35/12.5 x 17s?

D-range, but @ 3550# capacity.

Who makes the highest capacity, highest range tire in this size range?

Looking for 315s or wider, 35-36" tall...
Old 09-11-2006, 02:18 PM

I have a friend, and on his 97' 3/4 Ram, 8' bed, he runs them, and loves em'.
Says he gets great traction and they are wearing like iron. He tows with them occasionally too. I told him that I just didn't like the way they loaded up with snow in the 285R16 size. He said he didn't have a problem. The do rub a little on full turns with no lift kit (his truck).

Fruitman
Old 09-11-2006, 02:47 PM

I have a friend, and on his 97' 3/4 Ram, 8' bed, he runs them, and loves em'.
Says he gets great traction and they are wearing like iron. He tows with them occasionally too. I told him that I just didn't like the way they loaded up with snow in the 285R16 size. He said he didn't have a problem. The do rub a little on full turns with no lift kit (his truck).

Fruitman
Do you know what size he runs, exactly?

What does he use his rig for?

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2006, 08:52 PM

I would always stay close to stock size... Too big of tire can cause problems down the road. I have 54,000 on my original BF Goodrich. I'll prob get the same ones. They worked well.

Last edited by stock03; 09-11-2006 at 08:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-11-2006, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by stock03
I would always stay close to stock size... Too big of tire can cause problems down the road. I have 54,000 on my original BF Goodrich. I'll prob get the same ones. They worked well.
What kind of problems might that be?
Old 09-18-2006, 09:58 AM

XLR8R - Hey, he runs 315's on Hummer wheels. 315/70R17 to be exact.
Sorry for the delayed reply. I've read other posts here and on another forum I'm a member where guys run 35x12.5R17 (315's) all the time with little or no lift, or spacers. Of course some guys do report rubbing, on the control arms. I ran those 285's on that 1/2 ton for 10 years, and they rubbed. Never did any damage to either the tires or the truck.

I initially wanted to upgrade to 37's, just because I think that tire is the perfect size for the 3/4 ton quad cab with an 8' bed, but now I've changed my mind for a couple reasons. Not the cost of the tire for sure though, the difference is only 10 bucks in some cases. But with 37's I will have to lift it. $$$ and then too like Stock03 said, there has to be more strain on the components, but again, depending on the tire you chose, it could be minimal or not at all. Some of the tires I'm looking at weigh twice as much as the stockers. That can't be good. There's a big weight difference in a D range tire compared to a E range tire. Actually, if you plan on lifting the truck, my suggestion, and if I could afford the entire switch, would be 37's on 20" rims with a at least a true 4" lift. I've seen 40's on 22" rims with a 6" lift and no leveling device, so the truck still had the nose down look, and man was it hot looking! But you gottta pay to play like that. Tires, rim, lift, fender flares, shocks, all that could add to like 5k real quick. If I get some 35's on there I could forgo the lift, and later (cringe) just add spacers. I could avoid all puddles and forgo the fender flares (ha, that's a joke), and I intend on using my stock rims till I can afford the AR Victors I saw recently and now must have.

Of course all of this is my .02 worth.
Fruity

Quick Reply: what tires did u replace ur stocks with??