3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

what tires did u replace ur stocks with??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rambunctious1
It's hard to say if my mileage got better because of the tires. When I put them on, I was creeping up on 20k. This is when your mileage naturally gets better. So can't really say if it was one thing or the other. Anywho, I'm getting 18.5-19 mpg highway/hand calcd if I do 70mph consistantly. My mileage definitely didn't get worse. I got them from here. 700 stones shipped. I received 'em in about two days too.
Cool, thanks....
Are they wearing ok so far? I know some have had the larger tires wear quicker, which is expected, but some wear way too fast....

Also, my truck has 37k on it, and best im seeing(85% city driving) is 16-17mpg
Im used to 20-22mpg in my '97 5spd

Originally Posted by Rambunctious1
Oh yeah, my around town mileage didn't go down either. It's hangin' tuff at around 16-17. Some say that w/35's yer around town mileage will tank on ya.
Thats what I hear, but 1700-1800rpms down the hwy vs. 2k sounds good to me
That and they look dang good
Old 08-28-2006, 09:13 PM

When I put the coopers on, i expected alot of noise. They are SUPER quiet. I couldn't believe it. I was hoping for some better milage with the taller tires, but you are spinning a bigger mass. I would imagine it dinged me a little on milage, but not alot. I have only had them on for a few thousand miles, so I cant attest to wear. They dont look any different than when i put them on though...
Old 08-28-2006, 10:50 PM

I would suggest an "E" load range whatever you go with.
Hard decision though
Old 08-29-2006, 12:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BFG AT KO 285/70/17 on mine. Love them. No complaints.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselfreak21
BFG AT KO 285/70/17 on mine. Love them. No complaints.

Me too! The BFG's are great tires. Mine have about 20k on them right now and look great and wearing well. I think the 285 size tire is just about right and is a great compromise between the to small stockers and going to big and causing other problems.

Old 08-29-2006, 07:54 AM

That's exactly what I got. Lowered the front end, and got rid of the big tires and guess what? The mileage went up!! Now with the propane on, I'm seeing about 23-24mpg. Now that's more like it!
Old 08-29-2006, 08:46 AM

Toyo open country a/t's 285/70/17.
Joe
Old 08-29-2006, 09:39 AM

FWIW, I have BFG 315/70R17s on stock alloys. They ride nice and are wearing OK. I did get some excellerated wear on the inside tread of the rears at first, but I was running them at 50psi even unloaded. When I rotated I dropped the rear pressure to 40psi and it seems to help. I bump it back up to 50psi when I tow my trailer, which is not nearly as often as I'd like!

The 315s w/ a 2" lift all around.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:56 AM

285 BFGs are working great for me.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:08 PM

i replaced stock with toyo open countrys 275-70-17 e rated.20,000 on them so far and still look new.very happy so far.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:24 PM

I replaced the stock wheels and BFG's(@ 55k) with an American Racing wheel and Toyo open country A/T 285/70/17 load range E. Only got a 5K on them now with no concerns.
Before
[IMG] [/IMG]
After
[IMG] [/IMG]
Up Close
[IMG] [/IMG]

T398
Old 08-29-2006, 01:00 PM

Do Toyo Open Country 285/70/17's come in a E range A/T? Mine have a higher weight rating than the stock BFG E rated tires did but are actually a D rated tire.
Joe
Old 08-29-2006, 01:34 PM

Here's my thoughts on this subject. Go get a beer or a cup of Joe and have a sit for a while. I tend to run on at the mouth.

I drive 66 miles round trip from the country to the city and back every day. Call me what you will but I'll never venture off-road far enough in this truck to need a tire that requires the sidewalls to be bulletproof. But what I do need is a tire that helps me navigate safely out of hazardous situations at high speeds in bad weather, or most importantly, that can be driven uphill (almost 30 degrees) on a snow/slush/ice covered asphalt driveway. A tire that can get me and the wife those 66 miles in a foot and half of snow safely home. And for the tasks I’ve described (and then some) here's my 5 choices so far (see below).

FYI:
The size I selected to use (LT 315's or 35") is based on my driving habits and desire to minimize overall "larger tire" related modifications costs, and to try to minimize mpg/torque/speed losses. Also, all of these will fit the stock 8" wide rims with minimal differences in tire manufacturer specs. Rubbing might be minimal and will not do any damage to the truck or tires as I intend on not doing a lift kit (yet). Perhaps sooner than later, shock upgrades will be in store as the heavier tires will certainly have an adverse affect on the stock system and hopefully that's it.

The order below is only to show what I think has the best snow/wet traction for All Terrain/Mud Terrain type tires as described by the manufacturers and reviewers.
1) Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips
2) Interco's trXus M/T
3) Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ
4) Dick Cepek Mud Country
5) Dick Cepek Radial F-C II (threw this one in for it's higher mileage rating)

(Note: I also took the specs/characteristics of each tire into consideration but these are all such great tires that in this respect it became a six of one, half a dozen of the other comparison.)

All of these were selected for their "Heavy Duty" worthy specs.
All of these were selected because of positive reviews.
All of these were selected because of amount of sypes.
All of these were selected for their looks. (I know, it sucks being vain)
All of these are expensive but I've found some great deals on the web.

I hope I open a can a worms here. I respect the members of this forum and hope I can get some real opinions. Some of these tires are so new it's hard to get decent real-world reviews on them. And it's almost impossible to get reviews from people that buy them to use in the snow. And throw in the need for reviews from guys that drive 8k lb diesels and “Fugetaboudit”. Maybe there should be a poll on this site for tires. Maybe there is one and I don't know about it. Either way, here we go.

The Fruitman
Old 08-29-2006, 02:08 PM

OK
Something else to think of when you are picking tires look at it the way you have.
What test truck did they use for testing?

What did they do for testing?

Did they ever tow with them?

Flotation/larger tires float on top of stuff and decrease PSI on the contact patch for the tire, and keep it one top of water mud snow and so on.

Do you see many big trucks with flotation tires other then the ones that need it to lessen the pressure like on a grass and mud for dump trucks and concrete trucks? I know the armed forces use them for rigs to decrease the contact pressure.

So do you want to get a flotation / big tire to stay ontop of the snow, water, and mud?

I like a tire like what was stock for a tow rig to put all the pressure to the road and have it cut through the snow and rain.

The larger tires I have on my off road rig gives me the flotation I need on sand and mud to stay on top of it.

Now you may say I don't get much snow around here but I do a lot of driving and go out west to ski, but never have problems with the traction for normal snow and rain towing as with some off road towing on grass and back roads towing.

Also look at it this way if you want: for farmers and farm tractors what do you see? Tall thin tires for most or wide flat to make it float. Alot of the thin ones even fill them with water to increase the contact PSI.

BTW mu 96 Dodge I had all types and went back to stock.
The only good thing I got out of big tires was at 15-20psi it would float like you would not believe.

Ok What say you? This was one can....

Jon
Old 08-29-2006, 02:09 PM

rambunctious1, how many miles u got on ur nittos so far?? i just wonder how long they will last?

Quick Reply: what tires did u replace ur stocks with??