3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

What have/would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Badd Dogg Guy19
I like how some people on here are so quick to say "Get Over IT"!! Easy to say when YOUR truck came through with no flaws
No you are wrong. I have a new Laramie H dually on order (should be here Monday). My salesman called almost daily giving me status when it was being built. The truck was built and into to final inspection, then WENT BACK to painting. Apparently there was a problem and they needed to correct it. I didn't complain and start ranting about giving me a NEW truck this one isn't good enough for me.

The dealer has been very reasonable is trying to make it right by "fixing" the problem. You have no legal recourse and the dealer has no obligation more than to fix the problem. From what I hear on this web (assuming some of it is actually true), be glad you have a dealer that is willing to stand behind the sale.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea just get it fixed But if it was my truck I would be ****** the first ding is always the hardest, but I don't need the factory to do it for me!!!!
Sounds like a reasonable dealer, tell them you need to talk to a factory Rep. You should get a little price break in my opinion anyway. (From DC not the dealer)
Old 05-11-2006, 11:11 PM

there is a little catch here...

If the dealer found the problem/damage before it was sold and fixed it they now have to sell it as a used vehicle.. I am not sure what position he has because he took delivery of the vehicle and found the damage later...

I would let them fix it and then pay him the difference between a new vehile and the book value for a used vehicle with 300 miles on it since that is what would have happened if it was found before he bought it.

Did you get a discount because it had 300+ miles on it??
Old 05-12-2006, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by gerry
there is a little catch here...

If the dealer found the problem/damage before it was sold and fixed it they now have to sell it as a used vehicle.. I am not sure what position he has because he took delivery of the vehicle and found the damage later...

I would let them fix it and then pay him the difference between a new vehile and the book value for a used vehicle with 300 miles on it since that is what would have happened if it was found before he bought it.

Did you get a discount because it had 300+ miles on it??
Just beacuse it had 300 miles on it doesn't make it a used vehicle. It is not used until it has been titled or put in demo service. I have a 300C out on the front line right now that I traded in from another dealer in Iowa that has 467 miles on it, still new. Just sold a truck that we went and got from Kansas on monday and it had 250 miles when it got back here. Still new.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:40 PM

Fat their expense seems reasonable. Have them throw in a few oil changes or something
Old 05-12-2006, 03:37 PM

Be glad that they are fixing it.

They could have told you that you did it.......tough stuff.

As for damage and loosing 10K..........heck..around here....mint condition, they are worth 10K less than with 2 miles on it after being titled.

Keep in mind you got the rebates and probably a discount close to invoice. Then another 10K off???........that like 50% off.

Think of it this way....your trucks runs well doesn't it??? Who's to say IF you got another one, that maybe it might have injectors or something else wrong with it.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side!

Plus its on the underside anyways........
Old 05-12-2006, 09:14 PM

Carl - if I were in the same position I'd have them fix it, and also ask them to check the rest of the truck thoroughly. Heck - we all know the paint is cheap on these trucks - maybe you could get 'em to re-clearcoat it or something... Heck - I'm no paint guy, so I don't even know if that's possible, but you get my point.

They didn't seem to ask any questions, just acknowledged the screwup and are trying to make it right. It sounds like they're trying to actually fix the problem, not make excuses like some of the dealership horror stories we've read on this message board. Take this thread for instance... https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=97909

Oh yeah - make sure they give you a Hemi Charger or Viper or something like that as a loaner :-)

Good luck - - -
Old 05-12-2006, 09:39 PM

I guess we all learned that you should look under the truck. When I look at a new truck in the lot I always look under the truck under the hood etc. because these are the areas that I care about.

This is also why I like to buy used. I picked up my last truck with 7000 km on it. I didn't make a payment on it until about 15,000km. The fleet dealer said it was driven by an old guy who liked diesels and took it to the coffee shop and it never towed or anything. When I pulled the bed liner there were holes for the reese rails. I checked the frame and the adapters were on the frame still. I was exstatic as now it took me 30 minutes to install my hitch instead of 3 hours. Perfection is a fleeting thing. When I got my first ding I didn't have to cry as the truck already had a few when I bought it. My Bed is scratched all to crap and has tons of dents after 140k miles of hard use. If I was gonna sell it, I'd buy a new box for $700 and paint it for $300 and the next buyer would think it was owned by ....an old man who drove it to the coffee shop.

Do what you have to sleep better at night. Opinions are like....well you know. Most people on these sites talk like Don Cherry and act like Don Knotts. ks
Old 05-12-2006, 10:22 PM

I'm an insurance adjuster and I would demand a buy back. 1st manufacturer's can not sell a damaged vehicle as "new" (even if they are unaware of the damage on arrival). 2nd valve is affected no matter how good the repair is. They will never repair to like new condition, it will be noticible to some one looking for it. If in a any kind of collision this will be found when reivewed by an inspector and adjustment made accordingly, rust/integrity is always a future factor. Manufacturers buy vehicles back all the time when damaged in trasit on the lot or from the manufacturer. Calmly explain to the sales manager you will not accept a repair, if this is to no avail speak to the dealer princiable. If still a brick wall contact Chrysler. It is up to you how you proceed and you may never be effected by the damage. All vehicles require a full pdi before sale - if service manager states they did not perform this is also a factor. You should have received the pdi sheet (has checks on it next to reviewed systems and a techs name. Not trying to cause a battle on the board, but I run in to this every day. Chrysler made deny the body/paint and any repaired systems warranty in the future due to collision damage. You have no recourse years later better to settle the issue now and not have that nagging question in your head. as a side note if this was a small blemish or a paintless dent removal issue I would agree you would have to allow them to repair - but from your desciption this goes beyond a ding or fisheye to structual damage.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:01 AM

i bought mine used from a dealer and went out of town for a month the next day. came back drove it, loved it.washed it a few weeks later ( almost 2 months since i bought it now) and noticed white powder comin off...start lookin around. there is overspray all over the under side of the truck, the rear pass. side door has bondo on the back lower corner and now the pass side bed chips easily. went to dealer, they told me tough luck, its used, should have bought a new one. and this was ontop of the fact i got ripped off by them and was too young and inexperienced at the time to know. if it were mine, id calmly find a way to get a new rig through DC. because if anyone ELSE was looking at buying that truck new on the lot and saw the damage, they would not pay the full price you did after pointing that out to the dealer.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I notice Carl hasn't even responded back, probably, has the rocker panel repainted and driving his truck happily.
I don't understand all of you who are saying get a new truck or $10,000 back, etc. It's a little dent and scrape and not even in a visible area. The repaint will be better than factory from a rust and chipping standpoint. It's the rocker panel so it would never be wetsanded and polished up anyway.
For those that said it cannot be repaired as good as factory.......BS! My last 2 Dodges, 99 and 01, I've repainted the bottom panels up to the trim line because the factory painted chipped off pretty quick.
IMO, it sux that you bought a new truck w/ a scratch in it, but given that you had it for a couple weeks and then discovered it, the dlr has every right to say that you did the damage and is being helpful by fixing it. If you can schmooze them into some free extras (mudflaps come to mind) for your trouble, that's cool.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:57 PM

UPDATE - The dealer is going to have it repaired by what they are calling a "factory authorized body shop" (not sure what that means) and they are going to throw in a Line-X bed liner.

I'm still less than happy but that is what I get. I will not buy from that dealer again as I had a Senior Sales Manager tell me that essentially every car on their lot has damage. They fix it and sell it for new.

Next time I buy, I will thoroughly inspect most every part of the vehicle. Lesson learned.

Carl.

BTW, for those that said the dealer could say I did it, With the amount of rust present, there is no way it could have rusted so much in less than 2 weeks. The Service Manager said that vehicle should never have been accepted on the lot but since it was a dealer trade, they did not get to inspect it.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:57 AM

This is why I buy Used Someone else take the Hit of the drive off lot loss and I expect it to have some boo boos, I look at it good and do a good test drive and hope i didnt miss anything. If i did it is on me.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:00 PM

If they caught the damage before you did, they would have repaired it and you wouldn't be the wiser. Dealers fix damage that occurs while the vehicles are in transit all the time. It won't decrease the value if it's fixed right.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:55 PM

My father in law is a business manager for a dealership, and we discussed this in depth a few days ago. From what he tells me, if the damage is less than $500 then a dealer can fix it, and sell it as new, without disclosing the damage. If it is more than $500 they can still fix it, and sell it as new, but they must disclose the damage. Did they disclose the damage to you? I would look it over, because it could have been more major of an accident, and these things you found after you bought it could have just been things that they overlooked when they fixed the major damage. That being said, Id let em fix it, and maybe throw in 6 months of oil changes and be done with it.

Scott

Quick Reply: What have/would you do?