3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Waiting on new truck, reading about problems, should I worry??

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 03:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waiting on new truck, reading about problems, should I worry??

Hey everyone, Im still waiting for delivery on my truck, D/C says its built and on its way. I have been on this site every day for a few months now, and I gotta say, Reading about all these problems, Im starting to get a little worried . I currently have a 98 GMC Sierra X-cab 4X4, and havnt had an ounce of trouble other than an alt. and starter. Im waiting for a $45,000 truck, thats coming along with a $300 a month payment, and hope to GOD, that Im not gonna have to spend every other weekend either fixing, or taking it to the dealer, which is 45 mins from my home. So far, Ive seen these probs... Serp. belt shredding on trucks with less than 7,000 mi. on them, belt on my GMC has 45k, no probs yet, The 70 mph Vibe problem, The door seal probs, The death wobble, water leak through cab roof lights, U-joint probs, again 45k on my GMC, no probs., and theres probably more problems Im forgetting about.

The reason I bought a 2500 Diesel, is because I wanted a new truck that would last me a while, and take more abuse than a 1500, and not have to worry too much about maintanance. I do take care of my vehicles, but I dont want to have to check for things on a daily basis and keep my fingers crossed on a brand new truck. My Sierra is a 1500, has 45k on it, and the only probs Im having now, Is the front end is getting loose, cause on Staten Isl. these roads are horrible, you guys prob have dirt roads that are more of a pleasant ride than the paved roads here.

I hope I made the right decision on purchasing My Dodge. I am disabled with a bad back, I cant, and shouldnt have to be under and over this truck on a weekly basis, to keep checking parts that should last at least 50k or so. I know these diesels like to work, but mine will be minimal. It will start seeing some towing, My Nova to the track, maybe once a week, but that wont start for another few months. I dont put alot of mi. on my vehicles, I have a few, and they all share the miles. Im lucky this truck will see 7,000 to 9,000 mi a year. My GMC is a 98, with only 45k.

Any help or support will be greatfull. I keep thinking, If Im gonna be paying all this money for a new truck thats gonna have all these probs, maybe I should just sink a few dollars into my GMC, and keep a truck, thats never done me wrong. I dont know, Im just debating....
Old 05-15-2005, 05:32 AM

Don't worry, go for it. Yes, all those problems you mentioned have happened. I'm one of the guys with the belt shredding, but I have had no other issues.

Most of these truck are pretty reliable, but there is risk in any manmade item. So far, other than that belt (which did require a tow) I have had this truck for 13.5 months, and 11,000+ miles, with no other issues. No wobble, door seal, cab light leaks, etc.

Again, don't worry, be happy.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:18 AM

I worried about the same things as I waited for delivery a year ago. I'd owned three CTD's before and each had been better than the one before. There were complaints about fuel economy, noises, door seals, and who knows what else.

The bottom line is that the complaints about door seals are justified and what I'd consider common. Not something to really worry about, but what seems to be a universal complaint. My second set appears to be holding up well.

As to the rest of the things you see here, this is really a complaint board in the true sense. Do bad things happen? Of course! Are they the rule? No!

Fuel economy is so close to my '99 that there's not enough difference to mention. Power is excellent, noise is low. Cab comfort is wonderful and overall quality is high.

Learn to drive the diesel and you'll be rewarded. Don't learn and drive it like a gasser and you'll pay a price. Torque comes on at just over idle. Fail to understand this and you'll grind a set of tires off in a flash. Shift at above 2000 rpm's... Or run at above 2000 rpm's and you'll make more stops for fuel.

Now... Go out and bring that puppy home. I defy you to wipe the grin off your face.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't worry about it. I have my truck for little over 2 years now with 20k on the clock (mostly city driving). Only one major issue with my truck, hydroboost fitting cracked and dumped all the power steering fluid out in the middle of nowhere. Known issue on the early built 3rd gen trucks because of a crossed threaded line going into the power steering pump.
No torn door seals, no leaking clearance lamps, no rattles, no squeaks and no drivetrain leaks (ok, other than from the crankcase vent tube). Averaging 18 mpg city and 22 mpg highway.
By far this Dodge is a much better built truck than the '98 Chevy C1500 that I had.

MikeyB
Old 05-15-2005, 07:50 AM

I have a 2005 with 9400 miles on her now with zero problems. Maybe I just got lucky but I am 100% satisfied with this truck. I stll can't get the smile off of my face!
Old 05-15-2005, 08:35 AM

have about 8500 on mine now, no problem other than the door seal. It is no big deal, doesn't cause a leak or anything, it's just cosmetic. had it replaced friday, took all of about 10 minutes. when you get your truck you will be begging people to let you tow something for them, It just don't feel right unless you're dragging something
Old 05-15-2005, 08:48 AM
Banned

$300 a month? man, i want that deal.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:52 AM

The only complaint I have on my 05 is:
Sluggish takeoff power, I have 35" tires, and I'm positive this is the culprit, its very pronounced with a trailer.
Poor cab heat/air conditioning at idle, there is a TSB that addresses this by activating an idle control through your cruise control buttons. Have the dealer activate this before you pick it up, that way he can't charge you later when you bring it in.
DK
Old 05-15-2005, 09:19 AM

I started reading this site about 4 months before I bought my 3/4 ton 2004 CTD QC SB and after reading all the problems posted here I too was a little worried.

But, after a few typical new vehicle problems, all resolved free of charge by the dealer, I couldn't be happier with my truck.

This is the first truck I've owned and now I can say I will never be without one.

It's a great vehicle.

Great site here too!
Old 05-15-2005, 10:03 AM

Mine is a year old with 16k, have done towing with a loaded horse trailer. Zero problems. I love the truck and intend on keeping it. Sounds like you got a real good deal. $300 a month for a Laramie 4X4.!!!
Old 05-15-2005, 12:06 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I'd be pretty upset if I had to replace my starter and alternator already by 45K. You have nothing to worry about with the Dodge.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the reply's everybody, you have made me feel a little better!! Even my Father says dont let this site intimidate me. I guess Im just a worry bug. As far as the $300 a month deal I got, Its because the Dealer Im doing bussiness with gave me a very good trade in price for my GMC, thats why I am buying from this dealer which is 45 mins from my home. Some dealers actually insulted me with the trade in value they offered me!! I really appreciate all your comments. I too think These Dodges are a great value for the money, if you compare them to the Fords and GM's, plus you get 4 years more on the warranty too. If I would have bought one of those trucks optioned like the Dodge, I would have been paying like 6 grand more!! Thanks again guys!!
Old 05-15-2005, 08:21 PM

I love my '05! Way more power than my '00 CTD. Mine is definitely NOT sluggish with the 4:10s, but I'm still on stock rubber (so far). Mine is tearing the drivers door seal, I just haven't had time to get it fixed yet. The only thing I'm going to add is a full set of guages, might have saved me a tow on my '00 when the lift pump went out.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Badd Dogg, you worry too much! Actually, I had the same thought until I realized that no one truck will have anywhere near all the problems mentioned. In all likelihood, our new trucks will have no more than one or two relatively minor problems. Not even the 70 MPH vibe really concerns me because I can check for that easily enough before accepting delivery. Relax and enjoy the ride!

PS: My rig is reportedly at the dealership right now getting prepped! It's been 11 weeks to the day, not that I'm counting.

Quick Reply: Waiting on new truck, reading about problems, should I worry??