3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Vehicle Storage Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle Storage Recommendations

I'll be out of country for 6 months and my 05 is going to be in storage for about 6 months. I'll be driven about once or twice a month just to start it and go around the block.

How much fuel should I put in the tank before I leave?

What should I put in the tank to preserve the fuel, like power service or something like that?

Thanks
Old 01-01-2008, 03:29 PM

Fuel perservative for sure, not sure which. I am pretty ****, I would put it up on jack stands to keep from forming any flat spots on the tires. Possibly trickle charge the batteries.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:43 PM

My understanding is to run and drive a stored vehicle at least once a month. Have it driven each time long enough and far enough to warm everything to normal operating temps. I would fill the tank full and add fuel stabilizer to the tank. Not sure if there is stabilizer specifically for diesel or any would work.

Others may differ and have better or more knowledge than myself. Good Luck with everything.

Being the helpful person I am, I will even volunter to run the truck for you so you won't have to worry about putting it into "storage".
Old 01-01-2008, 03:52 PM

No problem, You'll just have to pay for your on transportation to get to Montana. You can stay with my relatives here.

I tough about Sta bill, It just doesn't say anything about diesel fuel only gas.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Banned

if the tank is full, there is a chance for less condensation

brett
Old 01-01-2008, 04:05 PM

Didn't even look to see where you live, Montana is a bit too cold for me this time of the year but the "free room & board" sounds tempting.

I'm sure some one will give you an idea of the best additive(s) for the fuel.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:37 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Several other posts on the same subject. This is one of the more recent ones.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=184256
Old 01-02-2008, 03:01 AM

I was just on Power Service's web site yesterday and they said their diesel kleen is a fuel stabilizer.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:42 AM

Don't worry about flat spotting the tires from extended parking. I've got a '56 T'bird that gets driven once a year or so. It's never flat spotted. Now the old bias ply tires would do that, but not a problem with radials.

Regarding Stabil, I could swear I've seen instructions on the can about how much to use for diesel as well as gas.

I second the suggestion about driving for long enought to warm everything up. It's better to just let it sit than to start it & run it for a few minutes. Among other things, that prevents your exhaust system from every drying out. Also, good suggestion about filling the tank. Less condensation.

You might put a can or some such thing over your tailpipe and block off your air intake to keep critters from nesting. Had a bud who's BMW air box got filled with bird seed.

Also, I'd reccomend putting a battery tender on the truck. If you aren't familar with them, it's a small battery charger that floats the charge. Won't overcharge, but keeps 'em up.