3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Two Cycle Engine Oil Eh?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 09:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The concept isn't alien to Cummins - it describes its Centinel system as follows:
CENTINEL™

You can provide your customers with a product that will increase their productivity and profits!

The Cummins CENTINEL Advanced Engine Oil Management System allows engines to go 525,000 miles between oil changes and 100,000 miles before changing the filter. CENTINEL operates on the engine's duty cycle. The CENTINEL system removes a small amount of used oil and sends it to the fuel tank. The used oil is then blended with the fuel and burned during normal combustion. Simultaneously, CENTINEL adds the same amount of new oil from a make-up tank into the engine. The result is a better-protected, better-run- ning engine. . .with less time and money spent on oil system maintenance.

CENTINEL is available for heavy-duty L10/M11/ISM/N14 engines and high horse power K/KV/QSKV engines. These engines are EPA approved with CENTINEL installed.

Burn Only versions of CENTINEL are available for ISM/L10/M11/N14 engines. Burn Only CENTINEL operates the same as CENTINEL, without a make-up tank. Used oil is removed from the engine and mixed with the fuel, but new oil is added through normal daily engine maintenance.

Through technology, Cummins is delivering value to their customers by helping them minimize their downtime while increasing their productivity.
A fresh, ashless 2-cycle oil is much more suitable for combustion than used 4-cycle diesel engine oil, which was never intended to be burned in the combustion process.

Rusty
Old 11-07-2006, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if a 50 to 1 oil ratio mixture can keep bearings from burning up in an outboard that runs 5500 rpms all day long , im sure it will benefit the cummins somewhat. just my opinion
Old 11-07-2006, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
I'll stick with my PS and MMO for now. I'm sure the 2 stroke will not harm anything due to how much it is actually diluted, but would rather wait untill there is some actuall testing and the bottle says "can be used in Diesel fuel" or DC/Cummins says it is OK to use. I guess I'm kind of a chicken **** when it comes to my $35K truck.
I was thinking the same thing... Cummins doesn't say add 2-cylce, but, they also don't say to add modules or any other power adders either, and a lot of us are doing it. So far no problems. I think my $13,000.00 motor (or whatever it costs) can handle some 2-cycle oil in it. But if I'm wrong, you can say, "I told you so!" hahah

Either way, it makes my motor so quiet. I don't know if MPG will improve. I aonly have about 100 miles on this tank. I'll check at next fill up.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:46 PM

I have a bunch of 8-oz bottles of Amsoil 2-stroke oil, and on occasion I'll pour one in the tank. Don't notice any real difference. It may be a bit quieter but thats about it. In all honesty, I don't pay enough attention to see if fuel economy has improved or not. But I'll continue to do it until they're gone.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:04 PM

Cummins allows burning of WEO (Waste engine oil) in your fuel no more than a quart at a time for a tank of fuel

You guys that burm MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) it no different that using 2 cycle oil.

So I look at it this way if Cummins will allow burning of dirty old engine oil in the fuel... It should be totally safe to burn clean oils (ND-30W, 2 Cycle, MMO, Etc)

So far I'm enjoying the benefits of it already... Quietier engine like your 3rd Gens and slight improvement in MPG numbers...
Old 11-07-2006, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
I have a bunch of 8-oz bottles of Amsoil 2-stroke oil, and on occasion I'll pour one in the tank. Don't notice any real difference. It may be a bit quieter but thats about it. In all honesty, I don't pay enough attention to see if fuel economy has improved or not. But I'll continue to do it until they're gone.
If that AMSOil is synthetic I would STOP using it! Synthetics don't burn properly. They will leave deposits on the pistons and injectors...
Old 11-07-2006, 07:01 PM

Wow i'll have to try the 2-cycle oil. I baby my truck and pay attention to what goes in it, but people use veg oil and all types of things. Diesel motors are die hard engines. Does the power service additive have the same queiting affect?
Old 11-07-2006, 07:14 PM

Does the power service additive have the same queiting affect?
No... Power serivce adds certane and anti-gel properties... No lubrication added...

Now MMO or 2 Cycle Oil will though...
Old 11-07-2006, 09:18 PM

automatic transmission fluid works well too! see tip number 5

http://www.gooddiesels.com/SLUBE.HTM
Old 11-07-2006, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by sdarchery

My father told me the same thing. He said when they changed the fuel filters, they would fill them (fuel filter housing) up with ATF. I think he worked on Cats and Detroit diesels. This was in the late 70's early 80's.

So far I like the 2-cycle. I may try ATF in the future...
Old 11-07-2006, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by sdarchery

NOT SUGGESTED!

ATF today has friction modifiers and other chemicals added that might add deposits to the combustion chamber...The aTF back in the 70's and 80's might not of had as much of these chemicals added and was safe to use...
Old 11-08-2006, 02:23 AM

Location: Well I thought I lived in America, but its looking more like france every day.
Power Power serivce adds certane and anti-gel properties... No lubrication added...

Power Service does contain lubricants for the fuel system. www.powerservice.com check out the FAQ section.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by BEARHUNTER
Power Power serivce adds certane and anti-gel properties... No lubrication added...

Power Service does contain lubricants for the fuel system. www.powerservice.com check out the FAQ section.
OK... so they list lubes "slick-diesel" os I stand a bit corrected but...

Here we go...

Now when you buy a bottle of PS off the store shelf tell me it's a 96oz (3/4 Gallon) bottle for about $11-$12 buck at WalMart Right?

Now On the bottle it says good for 300 Gallons of fuel. So for easy make lets say our fuel tank is 30 Gallons so that means you dump about 9.6 Oz of PS... So now you got a mixture in your tank of about 400:1 mixture (Very thin). Now I know in the 400:1 that is not all "slick-diesel"... (Certane booster and other stuff)

So to correct that you might be dumping in larger quantities to increase that "slick-diesel" more than a quart...Expensive stuff to waste...

It's still cheaper for a gallon of 2 cycle oil for about $8 bucks... And I know every ounce of that 2 cycle oil is OIL!!! and I know my mixture is about 120:1 which is a heck of a lot better than 400:1... Still cheaper than PS!

Cummins will alow burning of WEO (Waste Engine Oil) up to a quart of oil to a tank of fuel... Just using the same figures and dumping clean oil in...
Old 11-08-2006, 09:41 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopar1973man
OK... so they list lubes "slick-diesel" os I stand a bit corrected but...

Here we go...

Now when you buy a bottle of PS off the store shelf tell me it's a 96oz (3/4 Gallon) bottle for about $11-$12 buck at WalMart Right?

Now On the bottle it says good for 300 Gallons of fuel. So for easy make lets say our fuel tank is 30 Gallons so that means you dump about 9.6 Oz of PS... So now you got a mixture in your tank of about 400:1 mixture (Very thin). Now I know in the 400:1 that is not all "slick-diesel"... (Certane booster and other stuff)

So to correct that you might be dumping in larger quantities to increase that "slick-diesel" more than a quart...Expensive stuff to waste...

It's still cheaper for a gallon of 2 cycle oil for about $8 bucks... And I know every ounce of that 2 cycle oil is OIL!!! and I know my mixture is about 120:1 which is a heck of a lot better than 400:1... Still cheaper than PS!

Cummins will alow burning of WEO (Waste Engine Oil) up to a quart of oil to a tank of fuel... Just using the same figures and dumping clean oil in...

After all the reading here I am starting to re-think about the 2-cycle oil. How many oz's of the 2 cycle oil are you guys adding to a full tank??
Old 11-08-2006, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
After all the reading here I am starting to re-think about the 2-cycle oil. How many oz's of the 2 cycle oil are you guys adding to a full tank??
I'm adding a full quart for every 20-25 gallons pumped in fuel...

More rant...

That's a good reason why most of these guys are buying MMO to add to the PS... But still now you got $11-$12 bucks for PS and about $5 bucks for MMO (I think that's the price I paided last)

Now your talking $17-$19 bucks for fuel treatment (MMO and PS)...

But I'm also considering PS and 2 Cycle oil this winter when it gets cold. The PS is for anti-gel purpose nothing more... But first the weather has to get cold again...

Once again a good reason why I lean towards 2 cycle oil... it's cheap, it's clean, and it works good...

Quick Reply: Two Cycle Engine Oil Eh?