3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Turn Signal Problem, Have You Seen This??

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn Signal Problem, Have You Seen This??

It looks to me that my turn signal handle is not making contact closesures correct. When turning right or left I get a different result. For example when I turn left the right will come on. It does many crazy things. If I jerk the handle up and down fast it will work correct for a few times them wrong again. Has anyone changed out the switch handle and how hard is it to be done?

Thanks
Johnny
Old 09-10-2012, 07:48 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Multifunction switch - well documented, recalled on 06s.You can pull it out and clean it up or take in to get replaced.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:28 AM

Thanks Short..I call the Dodge Dealer and he looked up my VIN # and said the only recall was the steering linkage and that was for an inspection only. Was the recall for all 06 Rams or just certain ones?

Thanks
Johnny
Old 09-10-2012, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rushman
Thanks Short..I call the Dodge Dealer and he looked up my VIN # and said the only recall was the steering linkage and that was for an inspection only. Was the recall for all 06 Rams or just certain ones?

Thanks
Johnny
Let me clarify something real quick. I called it a recall but instead I should call it "an extended warranty" on the multifunction switch. Instead of only the factory warranty 3yr/36k, Chrysler Group LLC bumped it to 10yr/150k for the switch.

And I think I know why yours didn't come up. Your truck is a 3500. IIRC, the 3500s weren't included with the 2500s and have a hard time trying to get the switch replaced under the warranty.

"This extended turn signal multifunction switch warranty coverage applies to select model year 2006 Ram 1500 and Ram 2500 trucks."

If you've got time to go by the dealer, ask the service guy to go with you for a quick spin and duplicate the problem in front of him/her. It is safety hazard after all. If still no dice call Chrysler Customer Assistance Center (1-866-726-4636).

In case you're a DIYer like many here, you might try removing the MFS, opening it up and cleaning it out. It is reported by those that have done it that the dielectric grease they put in there smear all over the circuitry, collect gunk and in general create havoc with a clean connection.

I still haven't taken my truck in as I intend to remove and clean it myself before taking the truck in and getting a replacement of which I'm assuming will be the same caliber.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:27 AM

I called a local diesel shop where I can drop it off while at work an pick up later. He told me the airbag would have to come out. Since I haven't looked at it myself I dont know. The Dodge place said it is a 1.5 hour job for $145 and switch is $114.

Thanks
Old 09-10-2012, 01:52 PM

Nah, AB is not needed to be removed. Let me shoot some pics. I'll pull mine out right now as I've got time and been meaning to do it. Give me a little bit and I'll have pics and how-to remove.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a letter from Dodge stating the multifunction switch in my 3500 has an extended warranty to 10 years and or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first.

You do not need to remove the steering wheel or airbag to replace the mfs.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:47 PM

Here we go, a How-To: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...44#post3131344
Old 09-10-2012, 06:29 PM

Cck your trailer plug. See if its all green.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:00 AM

I cant say thank you enough for all the great info. Shorts..I am going to print out the steps and see what I can do.

Also, Thanks for the post on the EW number. I'm going to try to get the dodge dealer to work with me on this. Since I just use the truck for pulling my camper Time is on my side to get them to work with me. Their Service man should have told me about the EW when he ran my vin #.

Also, Shorts I never saw the link to the pics. Can you point me to them...Thanks..JJ
Old 09-11-2012, 06:30 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rushman, I moved your thread to the appropriate forum which is the 3rd gen non drivetrain. Just go back to the main forums page then click on the correct forum and you will see it.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:42 AM

Also have a letter on file for replacement,mine was built in mar of 06
Old 09-11-2012, 10:44 AM

Update..The dodge dealer was still refusing to honor the EW. He said it was based on each individual truck. I told him about the post here and offered supply the numbers someone posted of the EW. He finally gave in and agreed to fix it under EW. He said was 6 years or 150K.

Had it not been for the GREAT post here to help me I would had to have paid out of pocket. Also, I let the Diesel shop know that the air bag does not have to come off. He sure acted funny after he had been caught jacking up the labor cost.

Thanks
Johnny
Old 09-11-2012, 12:40 PM

Update..The dodge dealer was still refusing to honor the EW. He said it was based on each individual truck. I told him about the post here and offered supply the numbers someone posted of the EW. He finally gave in and agreed to fix it under EW. He said was 6 years or 150K.

Had it not been for the GREAT post here to help me I would had to have paid out of pocket. Also, I let the Diesel shop know that the air bag does not have to come off. He sure acted funny after he had been caught jacking up the labor cost.

Thanks
Johnny

Glad to hear you got it taken care of and that the info was helpful. That's what the forum is for

Diesel Shop -->
Old 09-13-2012, 08:22 PM

Angry

Thanks
Johnny
Man you need to find a new dealer,,those guys were playing you like a fool.