3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Truck cap wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 04:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Truck cap wiring

I just purchased a used Leer 100 xq truck cap for my 05. Does anyone know how to wire in the third brake light and interior light. I have the pig tails with the inline fuses but where do they hook up? Do I have to run wire from my third brake light on the truck ? Help me out if you can Thanks in advance!
Old 10-21-2005, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should be able to find wiring for the brake light in the wiring harness at the rear of the truck, it's usually just tape in with the harness; at least it was on mine. You could always tap into the brake wire on the towing harness otherwise (not sure which wire it is). As for the interior light, I chose to run a wire from the painless wiring kit I installed so that I could have constant power to it which makes it much more practical for me. You could also tap into the power wire on your towing harness as well if you wish, although once again I'm not sure which wire it is. Hope this helps.
Mishkaya
Old 10-21-2005, 05:31 PM

Tapping in

I taped in on the driver side tail light ran the wire up inside the 2x2 hole to the cap. As for the light I ran a new wire back from the passenger side battery to also have a cigarette plug to run/charge my cell phone/TV or what ever I need to. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:20 PM

if you look closely at the cover for the trailer plug in it tells you which wire is which. You should be able to find the + one for the interior light.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:34 AM

i tapped into the wire under the bed that is for the 3rd brake light [look for single wire with piece of heatshrink wrap over the end] and i tapped into a constant power i had at the tail for the interior cap lamp. what i am going to do though, [probably next spring] is to wire in a pair of diodes and tap into the cargo lamp circuit so i have constant power i can turn the light on when ever i want, but also turn it on with the cargo lamp switch. [although, i want to add some lighting to under the bedrails too... but neon looks too rice for my likes...]
Old 10-24-2005, 08:28 AM

Nick...where under the bed is this wire?

DC told me I needed to run a wire into the cab and tap into a hard-to-get-at 'brake sense' wire located near where the 'big grommet' is that we all pull wires thru on the firewall.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:03 AM

i never took pictures, but look along the left side frame rail by the spare tire, there will be a wiring harness that feeds the tail lights, and trailer wiring. there will be a wire sticking out of it that is capped. i remember mine for some reason being white in color, but my memory isn't 100%...
Old 10-24-2005, 12:43 PM

I have not had a chance to look for mine as of yet ,but I hope it's there like nick said .Because I remember having to go to the third brake light on the truck on my old truck.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:59 PM

I went and looked at the wire that is there for the rear brake light, and indeed the wire is white and is capped to almost look like it has a probe on it. It's pretty easy to find.
mishkaya
Old 10-26-2005, 03:37 PM

My little Leer interior light is hooked to the running lights. Might not be the best way. But I have to turn my parking lights on to get a interior light on in the cap. I never forget it's on.

Just another way to do it.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:28 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

bumpytruck,

I have the same camper that you just bought. I will try to take some pictures of how it is wired up tomorrow in the daylight. Mine is wired off of the drivers side tail light.

Britt

Old 10-27-2005, 12:17 AM

That would be great Britt,Thanks
Old 11-01-2005, 03:50 PM

Thumbs up

Well I got it done, found the wire under the truck,looks like white with a brown tracer, and wired the light to the battery. Thanks All!!
Old 11-01-2005, 03:56 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Originally Posted by bumpytruck
That would be great Britt,Thanks
I am so sorry! I completely forgot about taking that picture for you. Been busy selling our house so it completely slipped my mind.

Sorry again.

Britt

Old 06-30-2008, 12:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was just gonna pose this question before I traced a wire off the brake light switch to run the 3rd brake light on my topper (PO wired it to the running lights).
Does anyone know if the 07's still have the 3rd brake light wire in back by the spare tire as discussed above about the 04-05 models??

Quick Reply: Truck cap wiring