3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Trailer Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer Light Problem

Hello guys. I am a proud owner of a new to me 2004 4x4 qd cab. Awesome truck so far! I have an issue with my trailer lights. Everything works except my left stop lamp on the trailers I pull. I have read on this board that there is a PDB on my truck that could be the culprit. Where is this box located. This is my first Dodge ever so I am trying to get to know what makes them tick. Any help would be appreaciated!
Old 10-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Actually it's the TIPM (totally integrated power module). It's mounted underneath the fuse/circuit breaker panel, which is next to the drivers side battery.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:48 PM

REMOVAL
1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2. Remove the B+ terminal nut (6) from the Totally
Integrated Power Module (2)(TIPM) B+ terminal.
Remove the B+ cable (5) from the TIPM (2).
3. Using a suitable flat blade tool, disengage the
TIPM (2) upper retaining tabs from the battery tray
bracket (3).
4. Grasp the TIPM (1) and rotate the assembly up to
free it from its mounting bracket (3). Position the
assembly upside down to access the electrical connectors
located on the bottom of the unit.
5.Disconnect the electrical connectors (2) by
depressing the locking tab and rotating the connector
arm outboard, until the connector is free from
the TIPM assembly (1). Be certain to pull the connectors
straight off.
6. Remove the TIPM (1) from the vehicle.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:36 PM

Thank you 06RAM2500. Where is the best place to purchase the part I need and what al does it controll?
Old 10-02-2009, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My brother has used these guys before...http://www.dodgeparts.com/

Tony
Old 10-02-2009, 11:46 PM

MODULE-TOTALLY INTEGRATED POWER
DESCRIPTION
The Totally Integrated Power Module (2)(TIPM) is a
combination unit that performs the functions of the
Power Distribution Center (PDC) and the Front Control
Module. The TIPM is a printed circuit board based
module that contains fuses, internal relays and a
microprocessor that performs the functions previously
executed by the FCM. The TIPM (2) is located in the
engine compartment, next to the battery (1) and connects
directly to the B+ cable (5) via a stud located on
top of the unit. The ground connection is via electrical
connectors. The TIPM provides the primary means of
voltage distribution and protection for the entire vehicle.
The molded plastic TIPM housing includes a base and
cover. The TIPM cover is easily opened or removed
for service and has a fuse and relay layout map integral
to the inside surface of the cover. The TIPM housing
base and cover are secured in place via mounting
tabs. The mounting tabs secure the TIPM (2) to the
battery tray mounting bracket (3).
OPERATION
All of the current from the battery and the generator output enters the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) via
a stud on the top of the module. The TIPM cover is removed to access the fuses or relays. Internal connections of
all of the power distribution center circuits is accomplished by a combination of bus bars and a printed circuit board.
For complete circuit diagrams, refer to the appropriate wiring information. The wiring information includes wiring
diagrams, proper wire and connector repair procedures, details of wire harness routing and retention, connector
pin-out information and location views for the various wire harness connectors, splices and grounds.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:18 AM

Thanks guys, I will dig into it monday if its not raining here in sunny Mississippi! We have had like 20 inches of rain in the last 3 weeks so I haven't been able to do much of anything. I will post what I find
Old 10-03-2009, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget to make sure your trailer is good to go too (no shorts). I luckly found a short on the boat trailer running lights this year. The trailer has a fuse for running lights that would blow only when moving turned out to be the wire was hitting a sharp edge in the back.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:09 AM

I tow 4 different trailers, an ATV trailer, 2 boats and a 31ft TT. I also have a blue oval gasser that I use sometimes to tow the boats and ATV. All the trailer lights work fine behind it. What's got me confused is the left turn signal works on all the trailers just not the stop lamp when behind the Dodge. I haven't even looked at anything under the hood(fuses ect). I don't know anything about my Dodge so I asked the experts!
Old 10-05-2009, 12:24 PM

So you're saying that the left turn signal on the trailers work but that the left brake light doesn't?

Dodge handles the brake/turn signal thru the TIPM. It sounds like your problem is there. They're fed thru fuse 46. If your turn signal works then the fuse is good. The relay is powered by programming in the TIPM. It either cycles on and off if the turn signal is on or it stays energized if the brakes are on.
You can see the wiring diagrams for your vehicle by going to www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/year The wiring diagrams for an 04 are under Technical Information.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Keep in mind that an 04 does not have a TIPM like the 06 and up trucks. On the 03-05 trucks, there is the FCM (Front Control Module), PDC (Power Distribution Center) and the IPM (Intergrated Power Module) which is the combo of the FCM and PDC. The problem in the 03-05 trucks is frequently a bad, non-servicable relay on the bottom side of the PDC. Fixing the problem typically requires replacement of the PDC. Often, the 06 and up trucks can have the reflash done to set the breaker rating higher for the trailer circuits.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Modulite

I installed this instead:

http://www.drawtite.com/modulite1.html

Much cheaper and more reliable. You'll be chasing IPM troubles the rest of your CTD ownership experience if you don't get one of these.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:03 PM

ok guys, I think I am going to have to rewire my pigtail and 7 pin plug in. It looks like the guy that owned it before me did it himself and it looks like a mess under the bumper! #46 fuse was blown so I replaced it and walla the left trailer brake light works! The only problem is, the lamp out light comes on every time you step on the brake pedal! All tail light bulbs and power strips on the truck are new. I take #46 fuse back out and no more lamp out light! The drawtite stuff looks very good about now!
Old 10-05-2009, 02:28 PM

Does anyone know how to disable the lamp out alarm. I can't stand that alarm. I had a bub going bad and it drove me crazy. I didn't know the history of the truck so that's why I just replaced the power strips and bulbs. If I could cut the alarm off, I can put #46 fuse back in and all would work and life would be good. I think I need a beer!
Old 10-05-2009, 04:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Strange that the lamp out seems to be tied to the trailer light fuse, that's a new one to me. Wonder if the previous owner tapped into the taillight assembly and ran it direct to the 7-pin to bypass the IPM? That'd do it.

Otherwise, lamp out comes from a melted bulb socket in the truck's tail light assembly (they overheat). Just disassemble and bend the bub contacts back into place, and coat with dielectric grease, or replace and coat with grease.

Quick Reply: Trailer Light Problem