3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Tires for a dually

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Update on duallt tires

I went with "Open Country H/T Tuff Duty LT235/80R-17/10.They are pretty high in price compared to the last set of Cooper Discoveries I had. All the data I read on them ranked the tread war as a 5 out of 5. Off road about a 3 but I do not go off road with the truck anyway. Just pull the fiver around from state to state. Time will tell on the wear of these tires. I also had incentive from Les Schwab wth their service of their tires. Rotation, balance, and air pressure checks. Plus their mothership is here in my home town.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Les Schwab is a great place to buy tires because of their service and nice people working for them BUT 4 out of 5 vechicles we bought tires from them needed brake work soon after the new tires. the fifth I never let them touch the 4 disc brake buick with their inpact wrenches and this car did not need a brake job because of uneven torque. I was sorry to let them go.
Labarn
Old 07-20-2012, 12:48 PM

What I do is go into their service bay why they are mounting and balancing the new tires and watch them install them. They use their rattle guns to install the nuts but they are set below torque specs so when they do torque the wheel nuts they have to bring the nut up to torque and they also use a torque pattern. I just installed brakes several months back hopefully I don't end up with a problem like you had. Thanks
Old 07-20-2012, 02:08 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by Reelay
What I do is go into their service bay why they are mounting and balancing the new tires and watch them install them. They use their rattle guns to install the nuts but they are set below torque specs so when they do torque the wheel nuts they have to bring the nut up to torque and they also use a torque pattern. I just installed brakes several months back hopefully I don't end up with a problem like you had. Thanks
I would do the same but usually nothing turned because of being tighter than the torque setting, My friend had a repair service and would check out the brakes for a used car dealer and then new cheap tires were purchased to make the used cars look better. soon after the cars were sold he would get a call from the dealer complaing the new customers were not happy with the brakes shaking the car when stopping. Improper torque is the reason and he told them why this was happening. One 87 chev pickup I had would have atleast 2 broken studs when they would roate the tires, Why because they were too tight. I still like Les Schwab but don't use them. I would re torque you wheels after loosing them and feel better if it was me. I paid for too many brake jobs for this reason. Good luck.
labarn
Old 07-21-2012, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by labarn
I would do the same but usually nothing turned because of being tighter than the torque setting, My friend had a repair service and would check out the brakes for a used car dealer and then new cheap tires were purchased to make the used cars look better. soon after the cars were sold he would get a call from the dealer complaing the new customers were not happy with the brakes shaking the car when stopping. Improper torque is the reason and he told them why this was happening. One 87 chev pickup I had would have atleast 2 broken studs when they would roate the tires, Why because they were too tight. I still like Les Schwab but don't use them. I would re torque you wheels after loosing them and feel better if it was me. I paid for too many brake jobs for this reason. Good luck.
labarn
Thanks good advice.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dezeldog
I have been running the Transforce HT for 6 yrs and have had nothing but good luck with them. I'm getting between 60-70K out of a set but have them rotated every 7-8K miles. HTH

Jim
X2

Not sure what problems firestorm had had with the Transforce but in my experience they are a very long wearing tire. We use the HTs at the airport on the runway inspection trucks as they do a lot of harsh braking with the ABS disabled and they are one of the few tires that can stand up to it.

My Dad has a set of ATs on his dually and has been happy with them.

I'm running the Cooper Discoverer S/Ts on my truck and they have been awesome! Great snow traction and are wearing REALLY well. I drive a lot of gravel and often with an 18K GN behind me. They weren't cheap though.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by cLAYH
X2

Not sure what problems firestorm had had with the Transforce but in my experience they are a very long wearing tire. We use the HTs at the airport on the runway inspection trucks as they do a lot of harsh braking with the ABS disabled and they are one of the few tires that can stand up to it.

My Dad has a set of ATs on his dually and has been happy with them.

I'm running the Cooper Discoverer S/Ts on my truck and they have been awesome! Great snow traction and are wearing REALLY well. I drive a lot of gravel and often with an 18K GN behind me. They weren't cheap though.
Just changed out my Cooper Dicouverer H/T only got 22k {about 35-40 % left on tires} out of them I only run highway never off road. I left them inflated to 70psi that might have been the problem. Rotated only once too that also might be part of the problem . With these Toyo I will be agressive in the rotation and air pressures.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:45 AM

Curious

Originally Posted by Kgj1119
What about 265 80 17. Without a spacer
Who makes a tire in this size?....this must be a typo.

I too have the Firestone Transforce HT tires on my dually & am very pleased with this tire. The fellow who posted a bad experience with them seems to have had a very atypical experience.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:55 PM

I have the Transforce ATs.. some 9k miles or so on 'em. When I was trying to decide which tire to go with this past Spring, I looked at the reviews; Transforce ATs weren't rated as high as some others, but comments seemed to be more favorable than not. I was limited as to what I could get because I was buying from the local Air National Guard base.

Even though most of my driving is done on pavement, I didn't want the HTs because I live in the country. So far, I have found that the ATs have performed better than I expected... they work well on gravel roads and they clean out the mud pretty good. I am hoping they will perform as well in the snow... that test will be here all too soon.

As far as cost, I could have gotten them just as cheap through the dealership as I did through the base... just didn't have to pay tax through the base.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:00 PM

I've got transforce at's on my dually, and transforce ht's on my van. I'm very pleased with both.