3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Tires for 2wd Mega Cab?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires for 2wd Mega Cab?

It's time for tires for the truck. Details in my signature. I live in the Phoenix area and the truck mostly sees pavement, but I do get out into the desert once a weekend for moutain bike riding, dirt bike riding, shooting, camping, etc. Usually somekind of fire road if I'm on dirt.

I've managed to get 60,000+ out of the stock Michelins, but never had really liked them for anything other than dry pavement conditions. I don't own a trailer (intended on it, but economy changed that), but will rent one at least once a year.

I was thinking of getting the Nito Terra Grapplers or the Dura Grapplers. But, given that I'm a 2wd user, I don't really know what tire would be the better choice. Also, what size I should go with?

I'd appreciate any feedback you can provide, especially from the 2wd crowd.

ben
Old 09-07-2012, 05:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I believe either would be an excellent choice. The Dura's will probably last longer than the Terra's. Also look at the Nitto Crosstek.

MikeyB
Old 09-07-2012, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really like Michelin`s, I tow lots so I stick to the stock size, have tried 285/70r/17 but they didnt seem to add anything so Im sticking with the 265`s with your 2 inch level the 305`s might look pretty cool.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fiftygrit
I really like Michelin`s, I tow lots so I stick to the stock size, have tried 285/70r/17 but they didnt seem to add anything so Im sticking with the 265`s with your 2 inch level the 305`s might look pretty cool.
I don't have the leveling kit. Thought about it some, but didn't want to risk messing with the stock geometry.

I was considering going a bit larger, so I have a bit more surface area for when I do go off pavement. We have a lot sand around here and any extra float I can get would benefit me. Being stuck in the sand sucks. Sometimes I wish I would have just sprung for the 4x4.

ben
Old 09-10-2012, 06:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
285/70/17's will fit with no issues.

MikeyB
Old 09-11-2012, 07:50 PM

I like Michelin`s, just got back from a 600 mile trip pulling mama's camper.

i have a 2005 2x4, truck rode and drove great, no tire noise, a lot to be said for that, but i am very careful where i go with it off the pavement.

with that big heavy motor you do not need to get far off road any time.
with a 2x4, no matter what tire you have. jmtc

maybe you need to start looking for a 4x4 just to be on the safe side.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tire have more impact on vehicle performance than any other component. Any rally driver or off road racer will tell you that. The right tires make the difference between 1st and DNF. For the rest of us, it's the difference between getting home and not. Or getting to work on time.

I think Michelin makes the best light truck tire on the market. Dollar for dollar, they can't be beat. The LTX M/S tire is quiet and long lasting on dry pavement, and lasts about forever. Mine have 50K miles on them, and still have plenty of tread left.

In snow and mud, they just chew right threw and get me wherever I want to go. They have never let me down. And I have driven through some pretty severe snow storms, and down some nasty fire roads.

Next year, I'll buy another set of Michelins.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:00 PM

Someone on another post here told me about Toyo Open Country H/T Tuff Duty. I'm thinking of getting four of these. Recommended for my truck is LT265/70R17/E 121R. These are rated higher than my Michelin's which are 265's 17".
Old 09-13-2012, 07:31 AM

I have been using Firestone Transforce for @300k on my 2wd dually. I am quite happy with the ride and the milage that I'm getting from them...@70-75k with rotation @6-7k miles. I'm using the HT model tire as the truck doesn't like going in the 'woods'. HTH

Jim
Old 09-13-2012, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I wish it actually made my decision easier though.

The one take away is I won't be giving the Nitto Terra Grapplers a try. Nitto as a brand isn't out the door, but I think I'll be leaning heavily toward a tire that is more pavement biased.

ben
Old 09-14-2012, 07:05 AM

MICHELIN or BRIDGESTONE are the highest quality.

After that it is the Load Range E tire in the best tread configuration.

LTX AT/2 or Duravis m700 for traction

LTX A/S or Duravis m500 for highway

LTX M/S as a compromise

- (those M/S tread blocks may get chewed up, though, on rock roads [oilfield lease roads down here] so I'd do some searching for experience before spending this money.)

Old 09-15-2012, 03:31 PM

I'm either looking at the Toyo Open Country H/T Tuff Duty or the Michelin LTX M/S2. Me having a 2x4 and 99.9% of the time I'm driving on the concrete road and the other 1% I'm on FM roads (dirt w/ cliche on them). I'm looking for long tread life with low road noise and of course a all season tire. Does anyone know from experience about these two tires at what I'm looking for? Right now I have Cooper Discovery's which came with the truck when I bought it about a year ago.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by armourbl
It's time for tires for the truck. Details in my signature. I live in the Phoenix area and the truck mostly sees pavement, but I do get out into the desert once a weekend for moutain bike riding, dirt bike riding, shooting, camping, etc. Usually somekind of fire road if I'm on dirt.

I've managed to get 60,000+ out of the stock Michelins, but never had really liked them for anything other than dry pavement conditions. I don't own a trailer (intended on it, but economy changed that), but will rent one at least once a year.

I was thinking of getting the Nito Terra Grapplers or the Dura Grapplers. But, given that I'm a 2wd user, I don't really know what tire would be the better choice. Also, what size I should go with?

I'd appreciate any feedback you can provide, especially from the 2wd crowd.

ben
Nittos are just fine for what you are describing for use. I have them and they are great. Here are mine just after installation - stock size (nearly two years ago) (my rig is low mileage):

Old 09-23-2012, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by RamGazer
I'm either looking at the Toyo Open Country H/T Tuff Duty or the Michelin LTX M/S2. Me having a 2x4 and 99.9% of the time I'm driving on the concrete road and the other 1% I'm on FM roads (dirt w/ cliche on them). I'm looking for long tread life with low road noise and of course a all season tire. Does anyone know from experience about these two tires at what I'm looking for? Right now I have Cooper Discovery's which came with the truck when I bought it about a year ago.
I have the MS2's on now and the ride/noise is fantastic. However, at 15k the tread is half worn. I drive like an adult, rotate at 10k and the tires are wearing very evenly...but quicker than I would wish for such an expensive load range E tire. YMMV
Old 09-23-2012, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Michelin ATX A.T/2 and when we are down in Arizona for the winter, we went out to Swansea, (spelling) down by Parker its and old desert mining road and the tires worked fine, we also go to the desert bar all sand and gravel, I just run them at 45 pounds front and back, not the 70 - 60 when towing, My next tire will be the Mich ATX M/S 2s

Quick Reply: Tires for 2wd Mega Cab?