3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Tire choice

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire choice

Buying a new Ram 2500 4X4.

Is it worth spending the extra $200. to get the B F Goodrich tires or stick with the stock Michelins.

The Michelins are all season tires and the BFs are on/off road.

I'll be doing "light" off roading occasionally, dirt roads, fire roads, snow, but how are on/off road on long trips? Are they very noisy at speed?
Old 02-20-2008, 07:14 AM

Don't let the All Season on the Michilens fool ya. They are highway tires plain and simple!! IF you go in ANY mud they are junk, same goes for snow. I had mine off and spent another 100.00 on Toyos before I had 200 miles on my truck

Chris
Old 02-20-2008, 08:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Get the stock Michelins and trade them in for some better AT tires at the local tire dealer.

MikeyB
Old 02-20-2008, 10:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Which AT?

Sounds like I'm looking for the same thing except I'll almost never be in the snow. Occasionally through a wet pasture or muddy driveway with my '06 2wd lwb quad cab 2500 but it's paved roads with the family most of the time. Which all terrain tire does a little better in the muck but stays quiet on the highway?

Enjoy!
Old 02-20-2008, 10:03 PM

unless they were already on the truck i would probly go with the michelins and spend the $200 on new tyres that i actually wanted.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:12 AM

[QUOTE=wintersucks;1957791]unless they were already on the truck i would probly go with the michelins and spend the $200 on new tyres that i actually wanted.[/QUOTE

Ditto, what he said
Old 02-21-2008, 10:55 AM

If you want to go up a size, then stay with the stock Michelins and trade them in on some 285's (or whatever you want larger). You'll probably like the looks better.

I remember when my rig was new, I was hooking up a trailer at my friends and backup up on some damp grass on level ground. The stock Michelins tires started to spin. That was it for me. No way I was going to take them off road. I traded them in right away and because they were new got a decent price (don't remember exactly, but at least $50 each).

Good luck.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:23 PM

Stock Michelins

I took my truck up just driving around the lake and scouting some camping spots with the michelins. When I drove into one campsite and went out the other side. When I got to the other side I realized there was about a 2 and a half foot ditch. I went to back up and all those michelins did was spin. They are a great highway tire. Horrible, Horrible, HORRIBLE in mud though. So be careful of how much mud you are going to be in if you keep them. I ended up plowing through the ditch. I missed my front bumper by about a half an inch to an inch. Its a good thing I had just put on the leveling kit.

Mike
Old 02-22-2008, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Boxerrider
Sounds like I'm looking for the same thing except I'll almost never be in the snow. Occasionally through a wet pasture or muddy driveway with my '06 2wd lwb quad cab 2500 but it's paved roads with the family most of the time. Which all terrain tire does a little better in the muck but stays quiet on the highway?

Enjoy!
I put Goodyear Silent Armour pro grade tires on mine last fall to replace the Michelins. I really like them so far. They are really quiet on the highway and they do an excellent job in the mud and snow. The only downside to them is they are a little expensive.

If you don't need an all terrain tire, stick with the Michelins, the ones that I took off of the truck had nearly 40K miles and still had a lot of tread left. They wear like iron.

Originally Posted by wintersucks
unless they were already on the truck i would probly go with the michelins and spend the $200 on new tyres that i actually wanted.
Yea, spend the $200 on some good tires and pull the michelins off and sell them. There are usually enough folks around that like them, you should be able to sell them easily.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:52 PM

any time i've ever bought a new truck that didn't have the 'better' tires on it, was usually pretty easy to convince the dealer to just swap out the tires from another truck on the lot that had the better tires, at no charge.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:58 AM

My brother in law that pushes some snow says the stock BFG's have better grip than the Michelins. Stock Michelins are good for highway but that's all. I got Michelin AT 2 to replace my stock tires. Have been good on a little snow. Quiet too.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:48 AM

I agree with everything said about the Michelins. They wear like iron, and are a fantastic road tire on dry road.

I spend 99.8% of my time on paved road, and have only been "stuck" 3 times since using Michelins (twice in the 03 and once in my 90 F350).

When I went to get new tires I thought maybe I'd go for ATs. But instead I got another fantastic road tire in a Toyo Open Country ST in the stock size.

Good luck and ENJOY your truck!
Old 02-23-2008, 10:51 AM

After the couple inches of snow we had here yesterday, I'd agree with other posts. The Michelins are a great road tire with a good weight rating, but......they are HORRIBLE in snow, can't comment on mud they are pretty descent in sand, provided you air down enough, then again a tire with almost no tread left will work in sand too.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:55 AM

This is the recommendation by a knowledgeable friend. Here in Northern AZ, at 8000 ft. where I live, we have a bit of snow and mud and steep grades to get to my house. I want to be ready for anything, and darn the price.

Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor in a LT285/70R17.

Anyone using these?
Old 02-23-2008, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by tabing
This is the recommendation by a knowledgeable friend. Here in Northern AZ, at 8000 ft. where I live, we have a bit of snow and mud and steep grades to get to my house. I want to be ready for anything, and darn the price.

Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor in a LT285/70R17.

Anyone using these?
That's what I recommend also. I think you will like them. They handle a load good too. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Tire choice