3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Stop the noises....

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Stop the noises....

I've got some noises in my truck that the dealer can't seem to locate the cause.. I'm hoping I can get some help here...

Fist noise -
When cruising above 50 MPH with the heater on, I hear a pop roughly every 60 seconds, (I counted it off) It sounds like a big fat rain drop or bug hits the windshield. It's not real loud, but it is very noticable. If I turn the heater off, the pop goes away.....

Second noise -
It's a vibration that I hear every now and then coming from the drivers side dash area. It sounds like there is a piece of trim loose behind the gauge cluster. I hear it quite a bit, but I couldn't get it to reproduce when I was at the dealer for them to look at it. It happens when taking off from a stop or when the truck is at low RPMs when the trans shifts to a higher gear. The dealer suggested it was my nerf bars, he said they were loose and needed to be tightened... They are not loose...

Any ideas on these two noises? They are driving me crazy!!!
Old 12-28-2004, 07:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You know, I have the same popping sound too with the heater on.

I had the same vibration noise also and I cured it by tywrapping the two hydroboost lines together. Might want to give that a shot.

MikeyB
Old 12-28-2004, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by MikeyB
You know, I have the same popping sound too with the heater on.

I had the same vibration noise also and I cured it by tywrapping the two hydroboost lines together. Might want to give that a shot.

MikeyB

Where are the hydroboost lines? AT this point I will try anything!
Old 12-28-2004, 08:24 AM
VPI

For the vibration check the cover that is just behind your steering wheel. I put some tape on the left side on the seam and that rattle is gone for me.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:25 AM
Banned

Re: Stop the noises....

Originally posted by roadie00

Fist noise -
When cruising above 50 MPH with the heater on, I hear a pop roughly every 60 seconds, (I counted it off) It sounds like a big fat rain drop or bug hits the windshield. It's not real loud, but it is very noticable. If I turn the heater off, the pop goes away.....

Can't help with the second noise, but the first is your AC compressor cycling on and off. Drives me friggin nuts!! Mine thunks on and off extremely loudly and lately, at idle in the cold weather, even causes the truck to rock slightly. The thunk gets louder over time, too.

Dealer says, "it's normal." I'm taking it in again to make sure it's documented because there's not way this is normal!!

To make it quit, use a setting that doesn't use the AC compressor: any setting that doesn't use 2 outlets, so basically the dash vents alone or the floor alone. By default, the defroster activates the AC compressor so that it doesn't sit idle all winter and the seals don't dry up.

I half expect to see my compressor come flying out of my engine bay - THROUGH the hood it's so loud - one of these days. Eventually I'll find a dealer who knows it's wrong and what to do about it.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:51 AM

Re: Re: Stop the noises....

Originally posted by joel
Can't help with the second noise, but the first is your AC compressor cycling on and off. Drives me friggin nuts!! Mine thunks on and off extremely loudly and lately, at idle in the cold weather, even causes the truck to rock slightly. The thunk gets louder over time, too.

Dealer says, "it's normal." I'm taking it in again to make sure it's documented because there's not way this is normal!!

To make it quit, use a setting that doesn't use the AC compressor: any setting that doesn't use 2 outlets, so basically the dash vents alone or the floor alone. By default, the defroster activates the AC compressor so that it doesn't sit idle all winter and the seals don't dry up.

I half expect to see my compressor come flying out of my engine bay - THROUGH the hood it's so loud - one of these days. Eventually I'll find a dealer who knows it's wrong and what to do about it.
Interesting... I'm planning on taking my truck in again Thursday to get both noises investigated further.. I'll be sure and have them put it in the books as well.

Whenever I hear it I expect to see a big ole fat bug smeared across my windshield...

Thanks for the info!
Old 12-28-2004, 11:06 AM
Banned

I had a squeeking type rattle that sounded like it came from the dash. It was the transfer case shifter handle. Try holding the shifter one side or the other. If that makes the noise go away, pm me and I will tell you how I fixed it. best of luck
Old 12-28-2004, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by dodgezilla04
I had a squeeking type rattle that sounded like it came from the dash. It was the transfer case shifter handle. Try holding the shifter one side or the other. If that makes the noise go away, pm me and I will tell you how I fixed it. best of luck
I don't think that's it, but I will give it a try...
Old 12-28-2004, 09:39 PM
Banned

If you cant find it, turn up the stereo, and if that isnt loud enough, made the wife mad, she'll nag you so much, you wont even hear that rattle, works for me. HA HA
Old 12-29-2004, 11:31 AM

Mine does the same thing. Going into the dealer after the new year, hopefully they can find the problem , it sounds like the air mix door slamming shut. I'll forward info if they find it.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Mine had a Kazoo like buzz between 2000 and 2100 RPM, for which it went in to the dealer 3 times. Sounded like something in the dash or on the firewall.

The last time I brought it in, I mentioned the TSB about the hydroboost line, which they did, and it cured the problem.

Does yours have the upgraded hydroboost line? Look at the two pressure hoses running up to your brake master cyl. Old ones are plain. Updated ones have a metal butt connector in the middle, along with a big metal block attached...
Old 12-29-2004, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by Jeff in TD
Mine had a Kazoo like buzz between 2000 and 2100 RPM, for which it went in to the dealer 3 times. Sounded like something in the dash or on the firewall.

The last time I brought it in, I mentioned the TSB about the hydroboost line, which they did, and it cured the problem.

Does yours have the upgraded hydroboost line? Look at the two pressure hoses running up to your brake master cyl. Old ones are plain. Updated ones have a metal butt connector in the middle, along with a big metal block attached...
I just checked my truck, I have the old hoses, I guess I will print the TSB off and take it to the dealer with me... Thanks!!