3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Steering wheel radio controls?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 07:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ratlratl
I'll PM you my info, and what you'll need......

Chris
Is there a reason you can't post the info? Just wondering. I have a 2006 and would also love to put steering wheel controls on. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:09 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up Here's most of it......

I have added these to four trucks. Your steering wheel has the space in the back side to add these by just trimming out the openings. Or you can always just change out the whole steering wheel. I just dremel mine out. You then have to use three terminals (removed from unused part of harness) to make the connection from the wheel to the cluster.

2006-2008 ONLY:

You have to add the RDZ sales code to the vehicle's VIN. I'll do that part. This adds RDZ to your trucks VIN software that's in the TIPM under the hood.

The hard part though....

You have to go to the dealer and have them "reconfigure" your TIPM. The process is nothing illegal, just misunderstood. This process is necessary when the TIPM is replaced from failure. All that is done is the StarScan tool communicates with Chrysler to retrieve your VIN software, which now contains RDZ. Similar to doing a restore function on a PC. Once it is loaded into the TIPM it will allow the cluster to work the switches to function the radio.

There is a BIG issue when doing this on a manual tranny truck though. When I did mine, the back-up lights did not work. It threw a constant body fault code. The resolve had been found by Chrysler and they made a "patch" software for this problem. The problem is the dealer has to download/update their StarScan tool with this software and then re-run the reconfiguration onto your vehicle. That's no big deal. They then have to completely redo the StarScan back to original basic software and re update to current status. That's what they aren't going to like. It will all depend on what level their tool is at. IIRC it will either be a 5.0 update that will have this fix already, or a 4.0 that is current. It may be a 6.4 version that has to be upgraded to a 6.5. I do remember the 4 to a 5 thing. The note from Chrysler said it would be included in the next update, when ever that is.

Try explaining this to them at whatever dealer it is you use. I'll send something written to you about this, and of course I'd have no problem with them contacting me if there is any problem. PM for more info.

Chris
The following users liked this post:
Apbtmaxx (04-10-2024)
Old 04-06-2008, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you dont happen to have part nuber for the switches on an 06 do ya? i worked at a jeep dealer and my buddy there is all about the scan tool...... so i dont think i will have a problem there. just need to order up the hard parts, before i have ya add that code to my vin.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:13 AM

Will this work on a 05?.
Doug.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:39 AM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

03-05 trucks is just a plug and play. No dealer visit is necessary. Two switches and an add-on harness.

Chris
Old 04-07-2008, 07:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the 03-05 trucks is the harness that needed inside the steering wheel to hook up the two switches to the clockspring?
Old 04-07-2008, 08:02 AM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

The 03 is the only year that you can't just add switches to the wheel you have now. There is not enough room. 04 and all later have the room to cut out switches and snap them in. The radio part of the harness has to be added inside of the wheel. It will just plug in.

Chris
Old 04-07-2008, 01:11 PM

What is the cost for the needed parts on a 2007?

I really need this. I'm 6' 1" and it is still a reach to the radio.

ben
Old 04-07-2008, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by armourbl
What is the cost for the needed parts on a 2007?

I really need this. I'm 6' 1" and it is still a reach to the radio.

ben
No kidding man! I'm 6'3" with ape arms and it's still an uncomfortable reach. Where were the ergonomics police when the radio position was decided on?
Old 04-07-2008, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by ratlratl
The 03 is the only year that you can't just add switches to the wheel you have now. There is not enough room. 04 and all later have the room to cut out switches and snap them in. The radio part of the harness has to be added inside of the wheel. It will just plug in.

Chris
Figures... Where do they mount? Behind the cruise control switches?
Old 04-07-2008, 06:51 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Wow, I have gotten alot of responses and phone calls. If I have missed anyone, I am sorry. Please PM me and I'll share the info with you.

Thanks again,

Chris
Old 04-07-2008, 08:33 PM

From another dodge Forum

This is not my write-up but seems pretty comprehensive. From another dodge forum link below:

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show...+radio+control
Old 04-08-2008, 06:34 AM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Thanks for the find. I sat down and wrote it all out last night. That write up covers all 04-08 as far as where and what to do physically to the truck. I added a few more details in regards to the 06-08 trucks. I should have it all added today, and I'll make a new thread.

Chris
Old 04-08-2008, 07:19 AM

wow does sound hard and complicated messing with air bag and guages, although i couldnt log in to see his pics maybe its easier, but reading it sound tough i stink at wiring anyway
Old 04-08-2008, 10:02 AM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Thumbs up

I have posted a new thread with all of the how to on this. Sorry no pics, as it was done from memory. Sorry it took so long.

Chris

Link to new thread

Quick Reply: Steering wheel radio controls?