3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Long Past Due !!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 10:01 AM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation Long Past Due !!

Here it is as promised, A step by step for 03-08 Ram trucks on how to add steering wheel radio controls.

1. Make certain the front tires and steering wheel are straight. Important later on when dealing with the clockspring.

2. Disconnect both batteries. This will allow the capacitors for the airbag to drain down so it won't fire accidentally.

3. 03-08: Remove steering column shrouds, upper and lower, by removing the three torx head screws from the bottom.
...03-05 Grasp and pull the tilt lever down towards the floor. It will unsnap.
...06-08 Remove the torx head screw from the lever. It will be free.

4. 03-08: Remove the two screws at the bottom of the knee blocker and unsnap it free from the dash. Now grab the corner of the headlamp switch bezel and unsnap it free. Disconnect all connectors and set this side. The vent will come with it.

5. 03-05: Remove screw above hook next to glove box and pull center dash bezel free.
...06-08 auto trans: Lower cupholder and remove the two hidden screws that fasten upwards. Do yourself a favor and leave these out when putting it back together.
...06-08 manual trans: Pull out cupholder liner to expose and remove the four screws holding the rear section of the floor console to the floor. Next remove the two now exposed screws holding down the front floor section, and pop loose the shifter boot. Next remove the two screws attaching the lower dash filler (where cup holder would be on auto truck) to the dash and remove this panel by pulling down. It will unsnap. You can now get to the two upward facing screws that secure the center dash bezel.

6. 03-08: Locate and remove the two recessed bolts holding the airbag to the steering wheel. (you did unhook both batteries, didn't you?) Gently disconnect the connector(s) from the rear of the airbag and set it aside. Remove the center bolt from the steering wheel. Use a puller if you have one or hit the wheel from behind with your palms to free the wheel. Keep an eye on the clockspring to make certain that it doesn't move. Very important also to make sure the wheel was straight (step 1).

7. 03 only will require replacing the entire steering wheel for the rear cover is molded differently for radio controls.
...04-08: Can choose to replace the entire wheel or simply trace and cut out the back cover of the wheel for the switches. Seperate the switches, one at a time, to be able to trace only the part that snaps through. Practice on cardboard or paper to make a template to trace and cut out of the steering wheel. Remove the back cover before doing the cutting (four screws).

8. 03-08: Depending on which harness you get, you'll need to seperate the radio control part from the rest. This is the two wires and three small black connectors. Of the remainder of the leftover harness, there will be a black four pin connector. You'll need to remove and snip off three of these terminals to use later. Add approximately 20" of 20 ga. wire to each of these.

9. 03-08: Locate and remove any screws holding the cluster surround bezel to the dash and remove it. On 03-05 it may just snap in. I'm trying to do this from memory, so please forgive me if I'm incorrect here. Remove the four screws holding the cluster in and angle it to gain access to the three connectors and unplug all three. You will have one white connector and two grey connectors of different sizes. We wil be working only with the smaller of the grey connectors. It will have places for sixteen wires total. The top row will be nearly, if not all of the way full. The bottom row should only have a few places taken. On the back of the connector will be something that unsnaps and hinges off of the wires. Pop this loose. Nothing will fall out, so don't worry. Now find the white bar that is pushed into the connector, and pry it up. Not out. Looking at the part that plugs into the cluster, wires facing away from you, count four spaces from the left on the bottom row. This will be space 12. insert one of your three loose terminals here. It will only go one way, and will 'click' when it is correct. Press down the white bar, and snap back the piece you unsnapped and hinged up at the back of the connector. Make sense? Somehow attach the wire to the existing harness by tape or zip ties to keep it tidy.

10. 03-08: Find the white six pin connector on the back of the clockspring under the column. It will have four wires in it and two empty spaces. Pop the piece that snaps down over the wires up. Insert the remaining two loose terminals you have here. The inner most of the two wires you have added will connect to the wire you added to the cluster. The outer most wire simply goes to any metal surface as a ground. Wiring is complete.

11. 03-08: Reinstall the cluster and the steering wheel with the switches added. Plug in the radio control harness and attach it to the existing wheel wiring. It will have it's own place in the clockspring. Reinstall the air bag and bolt it tight.

12.03-08: Hook up the batteries and turn the key to the accessory position (back towards you).
...03-05: Controls will now work. Continue to reinstall the dash pieces and column clam shells. Enjoy.
...06-08: Owners will need to contact their dealer to have the sales code RDZ added to their vehicle options list. I can do this for you if necessary. You will then have to have your dealer "reconfigure" your TIPM Gateway module. Once that is done, your radio controls will work.
...06-08 manual trucks: WARNING, THERE IS A GLITCH WITH THE STARSCAN'S CURRENT SOFTWARE. Your back up lights may not work after doing this procedure. DON'T PANIC. There will be a code in the TIPM that is active and won't store. If the dealer follows proper procedure they will be directed to upload a patch software from Chrysler to the StarScan tool and do the "reconfigure" again. Your controls and back up lights also should work now. Enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
Apbtmaxx (04-10-2024)
Old 04-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
What? NO PICTURES???? Just kidding.

Very good write up. Never knew it was that easy to do. I may need to look into this.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:14 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Sorry, can't download from MY memory. Otherwise I'd try to cut and paste. Could be messy though.

Chris
Old 04-08-2008, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Thank you sir!

Very good instructions, Scott
Old 04-08-2008, 09:19 PM

Now I have a good excuse to remove my factory stering wheel and install my chrome chain link one.

-Seeder
Old 04-09-2008, 07:21 AM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Is yours the 9" version, so you can still drive with handcuffs on?

Chris
Old 04-09-2008, 10:47 AM

Location: NORTHWEST VERMONT WHERE THE MEN ARE MEN AND THE SHEEP RUN SCARED.
ratlratl-YOU are the GO TO GUY!!!
Old 04-09-2008, 12:04 PM

does it matter what model of stock stereo you have?
Old 04-09-2008, 12:35 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

I'm 99.5% that it works on all models this way.

Chris
Old 04-12-2008, 05:09 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Exclamation

Addendum to Steps 9 and 10
While helping capnp72 install this we found that his truck was already pre-wired at the clockspring and at the cluster. The wires in question will be in the white connector underneath the column going to the clockspring. My instructions include having you to add two wires to the existing openings. If your harness already has a black wire in the first slot, and a grey wire in the second spot. There is a chance that your truck is prewired. It will still be necessary to remove the cluster to verify that the grey wire is at the cluster also. The wiring for the switches will still need to be added to the steering wheel.

Chris
Old 04-12-2008, 07:32 PM

My truck came with the stereo & cruise control buttons in the wheel. My question is, are there any extra wires left after that? I might like to mount a button to operate an accessory if there are. I would only need two.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:01 PM

Chris was a HUGE help while doing this. He probably got sick of me calling. The switches work like they should. I like the feel of the leather wrap also. Other than forgetting to put the plate that comes off with the steering wheel back on it was a fairly easy mod to install.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:20 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Originally Posted by Bob T
My truck came with the stereo & cruise control buttons in the wheel. My question is, are there any extra wires left after that?
The clockspring only has room for three circuits. Horn, cruise control and radio controls. So if you have all three, then your all tapped out.

Chris
Old 04-12-2008, 08:23 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by capnp72
He probably got sick of me calling.
Not for a second. Glad I was able to help.

Chris
Old 09-30-2008, 02:44 PM

So, no other wiring harness was needed for this. Just the switches? I've got the #s for the switches, anything else? Also when done just call up dealer and tell them you need the starscan for radio controls? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Long Past Due !!