3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Long Past Due !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:25 PM
AlK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I also would like to add this feature to my 2006. Do the switches come with the complete wiring harness?
Old 10-01-2008, 10:52 AM

AlK,

Good question
Old 04-06-2009, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where can I buy the control buttons at?
Old 04-06-2009, 04:30 PM

You can get the switches from any dealer or place that sells oem dodge parts. The switches and harness come separate. Ratlratl can help you with the harness. I'm not sure how much different the '06 or '07 is from my '05.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:11 PM
AlK

I bought the switches and the wiring harness for my 2006 from Wholesalemopar.com at a cost of $66.16 including $10 for shipping. I am very happy with this addition to my truck

If you are not sure what to do, I found the following thread
very helpful - read the whole thing (very long).
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80864
Old 04-07-2009, 08:08 AM

Will this work with an aftermarket radio?
Old 04-09-2009, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by AlK
I bought the switches and the wiring harness for my 2006 from Wholesalemopar.com at a cost of $66.16 including $10 for shipping. I am very happy with this addition to my truck

If you are not sure what to do, I found the following thread
very helpful - read the whole thing (very long).
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80864
I am looking on wholesalemopar.com right now. I found the left and right switches under the steering wheel section, but I can't find the harness. What section is it under?
Old 02-12-2011, 05:27 PM

Guess this wire

I have an 05 2500 and I was looking to add radio controls to the steering wheel I took a look and found this connector just sitting there:

Old 05-23-2018, 03:12 PM

Steering Wheel Radio Controls - Add Code RDZ

Reviving an ancient thread.

My dealer tells me that they do not have a way to add sales code RDZ to my truck. They are willing to add the code, but told me that RDZ does not show up as an available code for my VIN.

What has to be done to get the code added so the truck can be re-flashed for this option? I've got the switches and harness work done and ready to go.

Truck is '06 Laramie 2500, Manual Trans
Old 05-25-2018, 08:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The dealer can't do it unless the code has already been added to your VIN. Quote from old thread on another site that says your dealer needs to.... "Contact the Chrysler Warranty Information Center and have WIC add RDZ to your VIN. I think the update is instant; but they may have to wait until the next day to flash RDZ to your TIPM from their StarScan."
Old 05-25-2018, 09:38 AM

That is what I was expecting to happen.

What they (dealer) are saying is that RDZ does not show as available to request to add to my VIN. I kind of doubt that is the case, the sales code shows as available for all vehicle families and as an available option in a 2006 Ram brochure.

Is the dealer not understanding the process? Maybe.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:58 AM

Rdz

Originally Posted by ratlratl
Here it is as promised, A step by step for 03-08 Ram trucks on how to add steering wheel radio controls.

1. Make certain the front tires and steering wheel are straight. Important later on when dealing with the clockspring.

2. Disconnect both batteries. This will allow the capacitors for the airbag to drain down so it won't fire accidentally.

3. 03-08: Remove steering column shrouds, upper and lower, by removing the three torx head screws from the bottom.
...03-05 Grasp and pull the tilt lever down towards the floor. It will unsnap.
...06-08 Remove the torx head screw from the lever. It will be free.

4. 03-08: Remove the two screws at the bottom of the knee blocker and unsnap it free from the dash. Now grab the corner of the headlamp switch bezel and unsnap it free. Disconnect all connectors and set this side. The vent will come with it.

5. 03-05: Remove screw above hook next to glove box and pull center dash bezel free.
...06-08 auto trans: Lower cupholder and remove the two hidden screws that fasten upwards. Do yourself a favor and leave these out when putting it back together.
...06-08 manual trans: Pull out cupholder liner to expose and remove the four screws holding the rear section of the floor console to the floor. Next remove the two now exposed screws holding down the front floor section, and pop loose the shifter boot. Next remove the two screws attaching the lower dash filler (where cup holder would be on auto truck) to the dash and remove this panel by pulling down. It will unsnap. You can now get to the two upward facing screws that secure the center dash bezel.

6. 03-08: Locate and remove the two recessed bolts holding the airbag to the steering wheel. (you did unhook both batteries, didn't you?) Gently disconnect the connector(s) from the rear of the airbag and set it aside. Remove the center bolt from the steering wheel. Use a puller if you have one or hit the wheel from behind with your palms to free the wheel. Keep an eye on the clockspring to make certain that it doesn't move. Very important also to make sure the wheel was straight (step 1).

7. 03 only will require replacing the entire steering wheel for the rear cover is molded differently for radio controls.
...04-08: Can choose to replace the entire wheel or simply trace and cut out the back cover of the wheel for the switches. Seperate the switches, one at a time, to be able to trace only the part that snaps through. Practice on cardboard or paper to make a template to trace and cut out of the steering wheel. Remove the back cover before doing the cutting (four screws).

8. 03-08: Depending on which harness you get, you'll need to seperate the radio control part from the rest. This is the two wires and three small black connectors. Of the remainder of the leftover harness, there will be a black four pin connector. You'll need to remove and snip off three of these terminals to use later. Add approximately 20" of 20 ga. wire to each of these.

9. 03-08: Locate and remove any screws holding the cluster surround bezel to the dash and remove it. On 03-05 it may just snap in. I'm trying to do this from memory, so please forgive me if I'm incorrect here. Remove the four screws holding the cluster in and angle it to gain access to the three connectors and unplug all three. You will have one white connector and two grey connectors of different sizes. We wil be working only with the smaller of the grey connectors. It will have places for sixteen wires total. The top row will be nearly, if not all of the way full. The bottom row should only have a few places taken. On the back of the connector will be something that unsnaps and hinges off of the wires. Pop this loose. Nothing will fall out, so don't worry. Now find the white bar that is pushed into the connector, and pry it up. Not out. Looking at the part that plugs into the cluster, wires facing away from you, count four spaces from the left on the bottom row. This will be space 12. insert one of your three loose terminals here. It will only go one way, and will 'click' when it is correct. Press down the white bar, and snap back the piece you unsnapped and hinged up at the back of the connector. Make sense? Somehow attach the wire to the existing harness by tape or zip ties to keep it tidy.

10. 03-08: Find the white six pin connector on the back of the clockspring under the column. It will have four wires in it and two empty spaces. Pop the piece that snaps down over the wires up. Insert the remaining two loose terminals you have here. The inner most of the two wires you have added will connect to the wire you added to the cluster. The outer most wire simply goes to any metal surface as a ground. Wiring is complete.

11. 03-08: Reinstall the cluster and the steering wheel with the switches added. Plug in the radio control harness and attach it to the existing wheel wiring. It will have it's own place in the clockspring. Reinstall the air bag and bolt it tight.

12.03-08: Hook up the batteries and turn the key to the accessory position (back towards you).
...03-05: Controls will now work. Continue to reinstall the dash pieces and column clam shells. Enjoy.
...06-08: Owners will need to contact their dealer to have the sales code RDZ added to their vehicle options list. I can do this for you if necessary. You will then have to have your dealer "reconfigure" your TIPM Gateway module. Once that is done, your radio controls will work.
...06-08 manual trucks: WARNING, THERE IS A GLITCH WITH THE STARSCAN'S CURRENT SOFTWARE. Your back up lights may not work after doing this procedure. DON'T PANIC. There will be a code in the TIPM that is active and won't store. If the dealer follows proper procedure they will be directed to upload a patch software from Chrysler to the StarScan tool and do the "reconfigure" again. Your controls and back up lights also should work now. Enjoy.
Hi, i wanna know if you can add the rdz sales code to a vin? Or who can do this that you know on these days?, thanks in advance!!
Old 04-11-2024, 11:00 AM

Rdz

Hi everyone, somebody knows if it is possible and add the rdz sales code to a vin on these days??