3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Runaway shopping cart!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 03:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Runaway shopping cart!!!

I was sitting in my truck eating my lunch in the far corner of a Baby's-R-Us parking lot and I heard the sound of a shopping cart. It was so loud, I thought it was a lot attendant pushing a line of carts nearby. By the time I realized what was happening, the cart smashed into the side of my truck. It missed the driver door (barely) but caught the front fender and made a pretty good sized crease (8" or so). It had the plastic basket - so, paint damage is minimal. But the weak sheetmetal was no match for the cart at its wind-induced velocity.

I checked around and it appears that my only recourse would be against the person who didn't put the cart away (not the store). I didn't see anyone. I assume the wind got it going and the laws of physics took over after that. I have a couple of other dings (tailgate and painted rear bumper) that need work. Maybe it's time to fix them. Yeah. I know, it's a truck. But, it still hurts.

Anyway, now that fall is here, watch out where you park!!!
Old 09-14-2009, 05:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man that sucks.. I cringed reading your story...
I usually try to park away from everyone else to avoid mishaps like that, and careless door dingers, but i guess nothing's 100%

I just had a buddy remove a few nice size dings,dents,creases from around the bed of my truck a couple months back. Still have to get em painted but it's so much nicer not to have to look at it all banged up anymore...

Yeah. I know, it's a truck. But, it still hurts.
Nothin wrong with wanting your truck to look nice!
Old 09-14-2009, 06:24 PM
Chapter President

Those guys with the Paintless dent repairs are pretty good. I would give them a shot at it.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
Those guys with the Paintless dent repairs are pretty good. I would give them a shot at it.
Thanks. I will. My neighbor owns a One Day body and paint place. I might ask him for a quote, too. I also have a local body shop that did really nice (=pricey) work on my wife's BMW. I suppose you get what you pay for.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:21 PM

My truck got hit last week by a shopping cart. I got lucky it hit the receiver hitch and put a dent in the cart The wind blew it out of the cart coral and I was down hill.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Definately check into the paintless dent repair guys first (this coming from an auto painter ), they will be the least expensive , quickest option , and your truck will still have the orig. finish (assuming it hasn`t already been painted).
Old 09-15-2009, 03:49 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I was parked in toy r us lot out in the middle of nowhere as I thought this would be safe. Well, I came out and saw a cart next to my truck. What do you know, it had for some reason smashed into the side.

All I can say is that it did hit the bulls-eye so to speak as the corner put a pretty deep and sharp dent right into the gas filler door!

Hence, I was able to take it off and do my own paintless dent removal which in no way eliminated it, but did make it not that noticable.

I was very unlucky to be lucky with that...

I have pressure dings at various places on my truck including the front fenders where I suspect that a dodge mechanic was leaning... My truck gets parked with a cover and I only use it for pleasure/towing. When it is in someone else's hands is when these things happen. That sheet metal is the most prone to dings I've even had.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ram Daddy
Definately check into the paintless dent repair guys first (this coming from an auto painter ), they will be the least expensive , quickest option , and your truck will still have the orig. finish (assuming it hasn`t already been painted).
Definitely will. The scratch it left is pretty deep. Not sure I can rub it out completely. Do those paintless guys do airbrush touchups? I had a Durango that the lot attendant backed into another car at the dealership and dinged the bumper. I got there a little early to pick it up and got to watch a guy with a mobile paint setup touch up the paint on the repair. In the back of his van, he computer matched the paint, mixed it, and used his airbrush to fix the area. I paid him a little extra to fill in a chip on the door. Same silver color as my 3500, now that I think of it.

I found out today that my comprehensive coverage deductible is only $100. That's my maximum exposure.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:12 PM

Talking

Sorry , I missed the part where you said the paint got scratched

The guys we have used don`t do any kind of touch-up/airbrush work , but that doesn`t mean none of them do.

I`d still at least get a quote from them and see if they can even fix it , then go from there. If they can repair it , and you still want it repainted to fix the scratch you won`t have any bodyfiller in the panels , and the paint repair can be kept much smaller.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:24 PM

I had a shopping card driven into mine by near hurricane force wind. I told the store I was holding them responsible because anyone with a peck of sense would have had an employee in the lot making sure this could not happen. I brought them 2 estimates of $800.00 and hounded them iinto writing me a cheque as I was leaving for Texas for the winter and would have it looked after there. Got it done for $200.00 at a dealership no less. HE HE !!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 11:20 PM
WL.

Been there and added chrome!!

If you notice the photos of my truck, the top chrome strip is EXACTLY the height of a grocery cart....EXACTLY, because it is covering a dent from one + blocking the next one.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:29 AM

Up until now, so far, the only dents that have happened to my truck were done at my dealership, they seem to be better at demolition than the local stores shopping carts. I try to park way out away from the general publics reach, rather walk than deal with those kind of damages. Regardless, it is truly a PITA to fix tose kind of dents, the paintless dent guys DO a really good job.

I have watched more than one person just slam a cart into the vehicle parked next to them, rude and ignorant people. I have watched people just fling their doors open and slam the vehicles next to them. Not all of those people were driving beaters, some were in very valuable/expensive vehicles, it is just rude and inconsiderate people who really could care less about even their own vehicles. The flying carts usually are caused by lazy people in the overall. And I really think that people don't get what those cart returns are for, something lacking in their common sense????

CD
Old 09-16-2009, 10:37 AM

I had a row of carts hit my motorcycle in a wal mart parking lot, hit the right side hard enough to push the bike up and over the kickstand and I came out to a smashed fairing and bent handlebar/clutch lever. The waterhead employee who was pushing the row of carts didn't even have the common courtesy to report the incident or pick my bike up. I had to get the manager to review the sucurity tapes to see what the heck hit my bike that hard.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by CD in NM
. . . I try to park way out away from the general publics reach, rather walk than deal with those kind of damages.
CD
HAHA . . . that's what is so IRONIC about this incident. I must have been a good 50-75 yards away from the nearest ANYTHING in that lot. In hindsight, that clear distance is what gave the wind the chance to get that cart rolling along at such a mighty clip. Next time I'll put another vehicle a few spaces between me and the carts. Let him take the hit.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:00 PM

welcome to the club

Quick Reply: Runaway shopping cart!!!