3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Removing rear spacer blocks--any bad effects?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing rear spacer blocks--any bad effects?

I am thinking of moving the two rear spacer blocks to the top of the stack to give a little more space between the fifth-wheel and the bed rails.

Many have done this. Is there a down side--so to speak--in doing this?

jr
Old 11-09-2004, 11:15 AM

I did mine at 1000 miles, now have 5700 and no problems.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:00 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you carry very heavy loads all the time you might not like the rear end being down a bit all the time. I did mine about 30,000 miles back and I like it. With only a couple hundred pounds in the bed the rear end is still slightly higher than the front. Makes it slightly easier to lift stuff into the bed too.

Wetspirit
Old 11-09-2004, 01:25 PM

From earlier posts, I believe that there's a minor interference with the caliper bolts - IIRC you'll be able to withdraw them enough to do a brake job, but not enough to replace the bolts should the need arise.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by Wetspirit
If you carry very heavy loads all the time you might not like the rear end being down a bit all the time. Wetspirit
I will be carrying the pin weight of a sizeable fifth-wheel. Is this a problem with looks or the suspension?

jr
Old 11-09-2004, 05:56 PM

One thing that should be done after dropping the rear down, is to get an alignment done.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by Mopar Jim
...IIRC you'll be able to withdraw them enough to do a brake job, but not enough to replace the bolts should the need arise.

with the caliper off, just change the bolt then if needed maybe?

i pulled my spacers a while back and i like it. the truck is sitting pretty level with the junk i have in/on the bed [cap, spare tire, tool chest and junk box]

i have some pic's in my sig link somewhere with the spacers relocated to the top of the spring pack [lets you reuse the factory u bolts]

if you do this, do yourself a big favor, and get new bolts hold the spring pack & spacers together. the factory hardware is junk [no hex head on the bolt] 1/2"NC x 4.5" is what i used if i remember right, with some nyloc nuts on them...
Old 11-11-2004, 07:11 AM

jarmar,

I also am towing a 40' 5'er and noted that I needed more clearance between the coach and the top of the bed rails. My 5'er hitch was at the top of it's adjustments.

I had the spacers removed after explaining my situation to a Dodge Truck Engineer.

Those (2) 15mm spacers are only in there to keep the truck riding level when the truck is loaded to max. payload. They reused the spacers and placed them on top of the spring pack so that the same stock bolts could be reused.

From the stock configuration to the new, the tailgate dropped 1 and 3/4" which will be enough to keep the coach and the truck from colliding.

By re-positioning those spacers it actually helps the driveshaft angle when running empty.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:33 AM

Originally posted by Kahuner
...I had the spacers removed after explaining my situation to a Dodge Truck Engineer...By re-positioning those spacers it actually helps the driveshaft angle when running empty.
Kahuner et al,

One of my main concerns was how this would affect the driveline and the warranty. This information has been very helpful. Thanks.

Kahuner, did you have an alighment done after relocating the spacers?

jr
Old 11-11-2004, 10:54 AM

Kahuner----Do you know if there were any wedges or shims mixed in with those spacers to keep the pinion angle correct, and if so were they changed around in any way? Thanks.

rob
Old 11-11-2004, 11:37 AM

rob,

Wetspirit here.
There are no tapered shims associated with the rear spacers (take a look), Just the spacers. If anything the pinion angle is better without the spacers because the driveline runs a little straighter. But remember, the change really only puts the axle where it would be with a load of about 400 or so pounds in the bed. It's not a big redesign, the truck is designed to have the axle running in that position.
I can't imagine why an alignment would be needed as, again, the axle runs in this position on a regular basis under normal conditions with a little weight in the truck. It's the same as saying you have to re-align the truck every time you put something in the back.
For me, the truck mainly looks better and has a slightly lower liftover height at the tailgate. It just looked too high in the back for my light loading.

John
Old 11-11-2004, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by Kahuner
jarmar,

I also am towing a 40' 5'er and noted that I needed more clearance between the coach and the top of the bed rails. My 5'er hitch was at the top of it's adjustments.

From the stock configuration to the new, the tailgate dropped 1 and 3/4" which will be enough to keep the coach and the truck from colliding.

Hope this helps.
I am a little confused. When you dropped the truck1 3/4", you also dropped the hitch by the same amount, so wont you still have to raise the hitch to get any more clearence?
Old 11-11-2004, 11:46 AM

rob,

Wetspirit here.
There are no tapered shims associated with the rear spacers (take a look), Just the spacers. If anything the pinion angle is better without the spacers because the driveline runs a little straighter. But remember, the change really only puts the axle where it would be with a load of about 400 or so pounds in the bed. It's not a big redesign, the truck is designed to have the axle running in that position.
I can't imagine why an alignment would be needed as, again, the axle runs in this position on a regular basis under normal conditions with a little weight in the truck. It's the same as saying you have to re-align the truck every time you put something in the back.
For me, the truck mainly looks better and has a slightly lower liftover height at the tailgate. It just looked too high in the back for my light loading.

John
Old 11-11-2004, 12:01 PM

Pulled mine to get in garage, even with camper still sat up a little, now after 14k and doing some towing it sits level, check gallery, had to done 10 months ago,,,
Old 11-11-2004, 04:49 PM

By lowering the back end it does in fact change the angles on the front end. Caster being the major factor. It would increase caster,and i know caster is not a tire wearing angle but nice to keep everything within spec.

Quick Reply: Removing rear spacer blocks--any bad effects?