3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Radio and seat belt light

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 06:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Radio and seat belt light

2003 Ram 2500 5.9C HO. Bone stock

So a couple weeks ago my radio has been cutting in an out. Started one day leaving from work radio button was on but the radio just wasn't playing. About 15 min into driving it started working and seemed fine. In that time it has started to cut in and out while driving. You almost don't notice it as it happens pretty fast but you can tell since the radio clicks back to the station from time display.

This morning, the radio was dead and stay down for 40 of the 60 min of my drive and when it was working was doing in an out so much I'd almost wish it had stayed off. tried the CD player and nothing. If I hit the mode or time button the time on the radio woudl come up for a few seconds then the display was dark again. Also for the first time, the seat belt light stayed on even though I was buckled up. When the radio finally came on this went out. I've looked some on here but don't see the tie to each other. I also noticed when I unbuckled in parking lot, the light stayed off.

I saw mention of battery issued for some of the dash light threads but mine arent' that old and this is while driving when I'm up on the alternator and it appears to be charging correctly. Also saw some ignition switch references. Was curious what a good test for that would be. I'd rather test and replace the correct part then say put a radio in and still have this gremlin occurring.

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Cephas410 (10-01-2022)
Old 04-16-2018, 08:39 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I can't comment specifically on this, but I know my stock radio crapped the bed in 9-10 years. I had the six CD one.

I would pull the radio and ensure you have power going to the harness all the time with the key on- maybe take a ride with a multi meter plugged in. If you do, I'd be inclined to think it was the radio.

I got an aftermarket one, I am pretty happy with it. Sky is the limit now days.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:28 AM

yeah i was going to tear it apart last night but being the DD i think i'll wait till the weekend. I did find a couple other anomalies though that seem odd.

I went checking fuses and any wiring I could immediately get to and didn't find anything busted. I did noticed the 'cargo light' on start up is also staying lit a bit longer than it used to. Cargo light isn't blown and comes on and off with the switch like it should. I then tried to do the odometer button push key on test for the gauges.... nothing. odometer button just flipped the mileage and the gauges didn't sweep. I then tried the 3 key click test for the OBD codes. again nothing.

now everything on the dash works I have all lights when I'm supposed to the ABS and all that go out after start up and the cruise and all that work too. so I'm not sure why those 2 dash test would fail. I do have a uscan tester so I hooked that up and there are no codes.

Headed to work this morning and the radio isn't working the seat belt light now doesn't come on at all. I did find if I push the time butting the time will pop up and display briefly and then the display goes dark again. So it is getting power and keeping up with time at least. Then about 20 miles up the road i see the time is showing. So I turn the radio on and sure enough its working. Unclick the seat belt, and the dash light comes up. Radio played pretty much flawless the entire ride into work from that point. When I got parted I tried the 2 dash test again sure enough they both worked this time.

So I'm thinking whatever bug I have is upstream from the radio and seat belt buckle and affects the dash function as well. I'm going to the searching today to see if i can narrow this down more. but if anyone has an idea I'm listening. Thanks
Old 04-25-2018, 05:33 AM

So.. this seems to be rain related. I thought this was a possibility since when the radio went out totally we were getting rain. I had tested over the weekend and sprayed it down with a hose and the radio on but couldn't make it go out. But its raining again and this morning when I turned the key the radio came on then went out.

I'm thinking ground issue? If I'm off base here please tell me. but if it is a ground issue can someone help me locate it? I've got the service manual with the schematic but I've not had much luck so far. this seems to just affect the radio part of the radio, all the lights for it still work fine and the clock will come up if you hit time button. I just dont' know where that wire harness ends up under the hood where I'm assuming its getting wet.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:08 AM

Would be great if someone that knows the wiring on these could lend a hand. Radio had been working but yesterday it started pulling a new trick. Radio is fine....until I buckle the drivers seatbelt.... As soon as I do that it drops and now never comes back. I got under the seat last night and made sure all the connections were together. Can't really tear it apart as its my Daily. Trying to figure out where to start, does anyone know if there is a common point in wiring that the radio and seatbelt latch share?

I'm am thinking I might start with clock spring in column. For a while it has clicking when i turn the wheel from side to side. I've let this go since from researching I had none of the other symptoms of a bad clock spring. and it was just a noise I could drowned out with radio....until now. Curious of maybe its part of it.

thanks
Old 12-05-2018, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key switch in the steering column. Wiggle it see what happens
Old 12-06-2018, 04:32 AM

I tried that but nothing seems to change. I've not tried the other key though. not sure that would matter but I've used the entire time I've owned it.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:12 PM

Hate to bump a a dead thread but I'm still chasing this crap. Today I threw a code and found my ODB2 isn't working. And the key trick to pull codes on dash doesn't work. So the list of dead items still growing.
Radio
seat belt light
ODB2
and dash/gauges when key is in RUN spot. everything seems to work when truck is started and running.

While trying to inspire the ODB2 port to work I find fuse under the dash. Just two wire run to it and it had a plastic clip in it. The fuse itself is enclosed in metal and it says 25a 14v on it. I've been search for what it is for but have come up empty. I popped the metal off and it looked like a metal bar running across connecting the prongs and there was like a braided metal wrapped around that. It looked sort of rough but the fuse passed continuity test. **** if it was bad I'm not even sure what to look for to replace it. Curious if anyone knew what it was for.

Thanks,
EDIT.... Of course I do one more search and find its the window circuit breaker. Ok not the radio or odb2 issue. Hope screwing with it didnt add to the list

Old 10-02-2022, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesbull
Would be great if someone that knows the wiring on these could lend a hand. Radio had been working but yesterday it started pulling a new trick. Radio is fine....until I buckle the drivers seatbelt.... As soon as I do that it drops and now never comes back. I got under the seat last night and made sure all the connections were together. Can't really tear it apart as its my Daily. Trying to figure out where to start, does anyone know if there is a common point in wiring that the radio and seatbelt latch share?

I'm am thinking I might start with clock spring in column. For a while it has clicking when i turn the wheel from side to side. I've let this go since from researching I had none of the other symptoms of a bad clock spring. and it was just a noise I could drowned out with radio....until now. Curious of maybe its part of it.

thanks
did you ever figure out the problem? I’m having the same problem. Thanks in advance
Old 10-02-2022, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Cephas410
did you ever figure out the problem? I’m having the same problem. Thanks in advance
i have not. Been living with it. Im pretty sure uder dash wiring will need to be gone through and im not the greatest electrician. Being my daily i cant really take it off the road for extended periods
Old 10-02-2022, 06:44 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I have NO idea if this suggestion will work....
I have NO idea if the affected parts even connect here....

Under the dash driver side, remove the kick panel.
Poke around a bit and you'll find a whole bunch of wires that come together and are bolted to the stamped steel frame of the dashboard.

Make sure that ground is clean and has good continuity to the negative battery post.....

My HVAC controls are screwing up on my early '04 dodge.....
Need to tuck into that shortly....