Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/)
-   -   Radiator flush (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/radiator-flush-252954/)

Dr.Dizzle 09-23-2009 04:18 PM

No problem. I have not replaced those items yet. The hoses look good and I see no reason to replace the thermostat and water pump at this time.

DirtEater 09-25-2009 11:29 AM

I'm about to do mine too. I have 2 bottles of Prestone Rad. Flush to run through it, and then plan on flushing with straight water after that. I have almost 60K and over 4years driving time on it and was also wondering if replacing the thremostat at the same time would be a good idea.

Napa has the Zerex G05, and Zerex Heavy Duty which is also HOAT. Cummins service centers carry the Zerex as well, but it was the same price as Napa.

Dr.Dizzle 09-25-2009 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by DirtEater (Post 2587153)
I'm about to do mine too. I have 2 bottles of Prestone Rad. Flush to run through it, and then plan on flushing with straight water after that. I have almost 60K and over 4years driving time on it and was also wondering if replacing the thremostat at the same time would be a good idea.

Napa has the Zerex G05, and Zerex Heavy Duty which is also HOAT. Cummins service centers carry the Zerex as well, but it was the same price as Napa.

If the thermostat is ok, I would not replace it unless the vehicle had more miles on it, or if I were having trouble with the cooling system. If you feel the need to replace it, go with a Cummins thermostat. The quality and robust nature of the replacement parts at chain stores seems to be hit and miss anymore.

dcfl 09-26-2009 01:12 PM

Need assitance! Turned the plastic pet **** on my 2005 - 2500 radiator and
it drained OK. I cannot re-tighten the pet ****. any suggestion? Hope I do not have to take the radiator out to repair?

Thanking you in advance for any help or suggestions

Dr.Dizzle 09-26-2009 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by dcfl (Post 2588013)
Need assitance! Turned the plastic pet **** on my 2005 - 2500 radiator and
it drained OK. I cannot re-tighten the pet ****. any suggestion? Hope I do not have to take the radiator out to repair?

Thanking you in advance for any help or suggestions

In order to get it back in, you have to push the draincock inward,then turn it to get the threads started. Push hard on it and turn. If necessary, It may be necessary to put some waterproof /silicone grease; ie plumbers grease, on the o-ring to make it easier.

Do not use petroleum based grease or lubricants on the o-ring as this causes o-rings to swell up and or fail.

hector 09-26-2009 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by DirtEater (Post 2587153)

I used peak extended life.. According to peak it is HOAT... $7.00 gallon at wally world

DirtEater 09-27-2009 11:05 AM

Not sure if there's a real difference or not, but Peaks site shows that it's OAT, rather than HOAT.

Dr.Dizzle 09-27-2009 02:32 PM

The OAT type coolant formulas contain no silicates for corrosion protection. They use a different technology, while the Hybrid OAT or HOAT type coolants specified for our trucks contain low silicates in the formula,but not enough to fall out of solution. The OAT formulation has been associated with cooling system sludge problems related to dissolving some plastics. I would rather not take the chance of topping off or replacing my coolant with a different formulation. Keep in mind if the product says "NO Silicate" it is not a G-05 HOAT formula.

The following list contains readily available coolants that are G0-5 Hoat formulas.

Mopar 5 Year /100,000 Mile with (HOAT)-Chrysler spec-MS 9769
Valvoline Zerex G05 Hoat - Available in concentrate and 50/50 premix
Ford / Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant - Part #VC-7A

DirtEater 09-27-2009 02:36 PM

Good info, thanks Dr. Dizzle.

DBLR 09-28-2009 04:13 PM

A 50/50 mix is Ok but I prefer a 60/40 mix just to be on the safe side when it gets cold.

trik396 09-28-2009 08:41 PM

I bought my Zerez G0-5 at Napa but it was straight antifreeze and I had to add distilled water to my liking. I went 50/50 because it's good to around -40 I believe.

mad1 09-28-2009 10:09 PM

The Prestone stuff at wallys says all makes. Dr you did not list it so I was wondering is it ok or not for our trucks?

Dr.Dizzle 09-28-2009 10:32 PM

Good point DBLR, allow me to expound on your suggestion for those members utilizing their vehicles in climates with extreme hot and/or cold weather conditions. I cite the following information as per Valvoline/Zerex Technical Data Sheet G-05 AF: "When diluted 50% with water, Zerex G-05 protects modern engine components from winter freezing and summer boil over. The chart at the top right provides mixing information. A 50% to 70% concentration range is suggested for optimum corrosion protection".

As a reminder, the mixing chart can be found on the back of your coolant container(s).

In addition, please be aware that coolant concentrations higher then 70 percent or so, may compromise the freeze protection and heat transfer of the cooling system. It is best to mix within the manufacturers 50 to 70 percent recommended concentrations.

Pull Ya 09-29-2009 12:40 PM

This is some of the best info I have read about engine flushing and antifreeze for our trucks. I think it should be made into a "How to". What do you think moderators?????
Jay

Dr.Dizzle 09-29-2009 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by mad1 (Post 2590100)
The Prestone stuff at wallys says all makes. Dr you did not list it so I was wondering is it ok or not for our trucks?

Prestone "All Makes" (yellow) (and the licensed DexCool clone, orange) in the 150/5 variety are OAT coolants, incorporating 2-ethylhexanoic acid and ethelene-glycol. This formulation does not include phosphates, borates, silicates or nitrites. The anti-rust additive 2-EHA, present in OAT formulas is regarded as a plasticizer,which in short....damages various gasket materials. Given that the coolant you mention is not formulated with the same additives as a HOAT formulation,it does not meet Chryslers coolant specification as recommended for our vehicles. A call to Prestone revealed that they do not manufacture a HOAT specific formula.

Ford Motor Company whom also uses a HOAT formulated coolant as their factory fill has published the following information regarding the use of "universal"coolants in Ford vehicles from which I have included.
Q: What is Ford's position on the use of "universal" coolants in Ford vehicles?
A: Ford does not have performance data for the multitude of engine coolants available in the aftermarket and therefore cannot recommend the use of any coolant except those approved by Ford Motor Company. Due to the complexity of cooling systems, no one coolant has been proven to work in all vehicles. "Universal" coolants generally do not contain silicates and nitrites, both of which are required for Ford vehicles equipped with Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant. Thus, these "universal" coolants generally do not meet Ford's coolant specification WSS-M97B51-A1".

"Use of non-approved "universal" coolants may lead to eventual engine damage or failure. Problems caused by use of non-approved "universal" coolant may not arise immediately, but may occur over longer periods of time due to additive compatibility issues".

"Although the Ford New Vehicle Limited Warranty is not automatically voided upon the use of a non-approved coolant in Ford vehicles, if such use results in damage to the vehicle or its components, the cost of repairing the damage (and related damage) would not be covered by the Ford New Vehicle Limited Warranty".

Given this information and the fact that G-05 Hoat coolants are available, I would not recommend using the "all makes all models" formulated coolants in a vehicle factory filled with Hoat G-05 coolant.