3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Radiator flush

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiator flush

How often do you guys flush your Rad? Is it something that worth doing your self or would you just take it and have it done?
Old 09-22-2009, 01:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I drain the radiator and clean out the overflow bottle once a year. Then I refill the system with a mix of Zerex G05 Hoat coolant and distilled water. This way I am replenishing my coolant additives on a constant basis,therfore eliminating the need to flush the system entirely.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Dizzle
I drain the radiator and clean out the overflow bottle once a year. Then I refill the system with a mix of Zerex G05 Hoat coolant and distilled water. This way I am replenishing my coolant additives on a constant basis,therfore eliminating the need to flush the system entirely.
Did you have to remove the bottle to clean it out or is there a plug on the bottom?
Old 09-22-2009, 03:18 PM

How do you drain the system? And how much comes out?
Old 09-22-2009, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by elirandolph
Did you have to remove the bottle to clean it out or is there a plug on the bottom?
I remove the bottle to clean it up. I believe that there is one screw that secures it. There are also plastic protrusions on the bottle that rest on the radiator and the frame if I am not mistaken. I use a long bottle brush to clean the inside out.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by bansh-eman
How do you drain the system? And how much comes out?
I drain it by unscrewing and pulling back on the plastic draincock located at the bottom of the radiator. I use a large yellow drain pan from Ghetto Zone with a spout to collect the fluid and get almost five gallons out of the radiator alone. When completed, I replace the draincock and refill the system with a 50/50 mixture of Zerex G-05 and distilled water.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:11 PM

How do you get the rest of the system drained? What does the draincock run you to replace?
Old 09-22-2009, 05:11 PM

How do you get the rest of the system drained? What does the draincock run you to replace?
I don't drain the rest of the system, since I perform this on a yearly basis or sometimes a little over a year. I figure by doing it so often there is no need to completely drain the entire block out. My cooling system appears to be very clean and free of corrosion at this time given the appearance of the coolant that I drain out the last time.

By replace the draincock, I meant to put it back in and snug it up. I have never purchased a new one. I probably should have one as a spare, since it is made of plastic with o rings to make a seal.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:34 PM

Hummm... Looks like I may have to do this soon. I got an 06 with 42k so I don't think it has been long enough to start rusting. At least I hope not.

How many bottles of Zerex G05 Hoat coolant do you need?
Old 09-22-2009, 08:56 PM

Hummm... Looks like I may have to do this soon. I got an 06 with 42k so I don't think it has been long enough to start rusting. At least I hope not.

How many bottles of Zerex G05 Hoat coolant do you need?
No, I doubt that you have rust or corrosion issues. The original fill in the truck is long life 5year/ 100k Mopar G05 coolant, which they say is good for 5years/100k. So it should give you at least five years of worry free ownership.
I do a simple radiator drain and refill every year to keep the fluid fresh. What came out the first time really surprised me, sand that I'm assuming was from the head and block castings. I'm glad I didn't wait the recommended 5 year interval per the manual. Be advised, the Zerex coolant is not the pink/orange color like the factory coolant. It is a gold /clear color which is almost transparent. The factory coolant is just Zerex dyed to Dodge specifications.

The partial drain and fill should eliminate the need to ever flush it,especially doing it every year or so. On average,I would think the fluid would be fresher than doing a flush every 5 years. I believe that the entire cooling system holds a total of 7.75 gallons.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:19 PM

I assume I can pick it up at Walmart?

If I drain the rad, and want to fill it back up, do I need to buy 8 jugs? I don't want to do Distilled water because I may be moving and don't want to chance it freezing.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:04 PM

I assume I can pick it up at Walmart?

Walmart does not carry it.

If you have a Napa close by, they use part# ZXG051. If not, you can try your local Ford dealer. They carry GO-5 at a decent price, last time I checked. And of course,you can also try your local Dodge dealer.

If I drain the rad, and want to fill it back up, do I need to buy 8 jugs? I don't want to do Distilled water because I may be moving and don't want to chance it freezing.
If you get the Zerex in the gallon jugs at Napa, It comes pre mixed with the demineralized water at a 50/50 concentration. No need for water, just pour it in. Six jugs should do it.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:09 PM

Great thanks. I got a Napa right down the road... Now just got to see if they got it in stock.

You know what you pay for it?
Old 09-22-2009, 10:27 PM

Smile

Great thanks. I got a Napa right down the road... Now just got to see if they got it in stock.

You know what you pay for it?

No problem. Happy to help.

From the NAPA website in store shopping page:

NAPA Item#: ZRXZXG05RU1
Price: $7.77
tax and shipping not included

Disclaimer: The stated price may vary from the in store price and may change at anytime.

Attributes:
Size:1 GAL
Product Features:Factory Fill & Approved For Ford & Daimler Chrysler Vehicles
Phosphate Free
Reduced Silicate
Fully Formulated
Manufacturer:Valvoline
Application:Zerex G-05 - Ready To Use - Liquid - Yellow
Old 09-23-2009, 03:48 PM

Good information--thank you. Have you changed the thermostat, water pump or hoses?
Jay

Quick Reply: Radiator flush