3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

quad cab vs mega cab

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quad cab vs mega cab

i'm looking at getting an 07 or 08 3500 dually just wondering what you guys think is better the mega with the sadly too short bed or a quad cab with the long bed, we do have a daughter that is one and a half and are thinking about adding anther one, this truck would be a daily driver, it would seing towing a 10k trailer and it would be used for longer trips to visit family, any input would be awesome
Old 12-27-2007, 07:13 PM

The Mega Cab is like riding in a lifted Lincoln Towncar when it comes to back seat space. The Quad Cab should definitely be enough for children and adequate for shorter road trips (or longer ones with stops to stretch) with adults in the back. I have fit 3 coworkers comfortably, and a 4th wouldn't be a stretch. The Mega Cab is overkill, IMO, unless you will almost always be carrying full size adults around.

Since its mostly just me and the wife driving around, the quad cab is fine.

-Chris
Old 12-27-2007, 07:57 PM

Kids do grow up and then they want to bring their friends along...can you afford to upgrade in the future? When my two sons were 16, they were both pushing 6 foot tall, and 190 lbs...
Old 12-27-2007, 08:04 PM

Something like me

Well I had two small children with a quad cab. Things were starting to get a little tight as it was our main travel vehicle, and with two small kids, there toys, games, coats in the winter, shoes, snacks etc. The middle seat and the floor were always full, made it a problem at every stop but it was managable. Along came baby #3. Picture hurricane season in the back seat. I ended up getting the mega. Lots of extra storage room behind the seat and on the floor in front of them plus alot easier for them to get out without stepping on anything. Like i said two small kids you should manage, 3 i would suggest the mega. Adults are usually not a factor as they don't usually need all the little extras the small ones do. maybe the deciding factor might be what do you pull and how often. Do need the 8' box. Possibly go with a sliding hitch if you have a 5er and want the mega. Sorry to ramble on but when i bought my 06 i said why do i need a mega and 2 years later here i am with one. Just trying to save you some cash. The decsion is yours hope this helps.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jayjma20
i'm looking at getting an 07 or 08 3500 dually just wondering what you guys think is better the mega with the sadly too short bed or a quad cab with the long bed, we do have a daughter that is one and a half and are thinking about adding anther one, this truck would be a daily driver, it would seing towing a 10k trailer and it would be used for longer trips to visit family, any input would be awesome
Get the Mega, the Quad is just to small, the Mega is an over-kill...go for the over insted of the under
Old 12-27-2007, 08:34 PM

Go for the Mega if you are going to keep the truck for awhile. Just sold an 06 QC . Just too small with the kids. LOVE the new Mega!!
Old 12-27-2007, 08:39 PM

get the quad long bed,you cant even put a quad in a mega with the gate up,if you dont need to use the truck for a truck then get a mega but if your gonna haul anything the longbed is muchhhhhhhhh better,if they come with a mega longbed then i will look at one,i have a toolbox in my quadcab and i can still get my quad in with the gate up,try that with a mega
Old 12-27-2007, 08:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love my MegaCab. Yep, the bed is 1.5' shorter than the standard 8' bed, no big deal! I just drop the gate if I need 8' bed. If longer, I just hook up my trailer. You just can't beat the extra leg and stoorage room in the rear...no add-on to make up for that. You have a growing family, you won't regret it, get the MegaCab!
Old 12-27-2007, 09:14 PM

long bed is ugly get the mega much better for what you want and what you will use the truck for and as far as loading a atv or my dirt bikes in the back i dont care if i cant get the tail gate up and a long bed wont let you put your familys worth of toys like 2 atvs and so on thats what a trailer is for
Old 12-27-2007, 09:21 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I love my MegaCab!! I use the truck as a truck and also for the family travel around town. I have one daughter that loves the room and not to mention we never really need to worry if there will be "enough" room. I have had two 6 foot plus adults in the back and I am 6'1" so my seat does get pushed back. Both guys kept commenting on all the room. Since you have kids you will love the Mega. But all I can really say is it depends on what you think your needs are and will be.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:28 PM

MEGA!! (hands down)
If you need more bed space......Get a TRAILER!!
Old 12-27-2007, 09:38 PM

I really REALLY wish I had got a MegaCab; I love the Mega Duallys. Next rig after my 07 gets more of a race truck and less a daily driver will definately be a Mega Dually. Love the Quad/long, but since its an auto its going to get as much power as I can get, and as fast as I can get, so Ill need a daily driver/tow truck, plus even though my daughters only 7mths. old shell get older and there will be more kids, so the extra room in back will be nice. Plus Ill have a DVD player in back. Wonder if I could add a dividing wall like limos so mom and dad dont have to hear the fighting on long trips!?!
Old 12-27-2007, 10:21 PM

I absolutely LOVE the MegaCab. I can put the Grandkids in the back seat and NO kicking the back of my seat while I am driving, that is TRULY a driving irritation, they can't reach you like they can in the Quad Cab. I can fold the seat down and haul a ton of stuff out of the weather, built in cap so to speak. If I am on a long drive and need to stop and get some rest, I have made a nice mattress that fits the back area, real nice going somewhere when you on't really need a motel room. I have storage organizers for different weather stuff - like gloves, hats, etc for the cold, they stack real nice in the area behind the seat. Can carry a lot behind the seat and still have plenty of room for people and all the junk that goes with them and the truck does not look junked up and messy.

I have a toolbox in the front of the bed, so all the dirty stuff is out of the cab. I haul a GN with LQ 3-horse trailer, a GN flatbed trailer, a 4-horse bumper pull, a 5th wheel an whatever else without any problems whatsoever. You can buy offset hitches, don't need a slider, and your cab will be just fine, no hits. It is one great vehicle that can adapt to any situation you can throw at it. Tailgate down you have 8' for hauling 8' lumber, I have one of those extensions that plugs into the 2" receiver, can haul 12' lumber at bed height, flip it up in the air and can haul 16' lumber using the top of the headache rack, lots of cab clearance from the headache rack over the cab.

This is my first short bed truck, my last truck will be the last 8' bed I own. So, my vote is for the Mega Cab. I have seen the Mega Cab Long beds, they are very nice too, but my short bed is doing the job and then some. I like having a truck set up to pull/haul the way I have mine set up. I rarely use the bed for hauling much, it is easier to just hitch up a trailer, also easier to un hitch and not have to unload, build stuff taking the lmber right off the trailer.

CD
Old 12-27-2007, 10:54 PM

thanks for all the posts, i was leaning towards the mega, and from what you guys are saying thats the way to go,thanks again for all the input, one last question how are you guys liking the 6.7l?
Old 12-28-2007, 05:57 AM

There is so much more storage inside the mega cab, protected, out of the weather. Less things go into the bed. It seems like it could swallow a small house worth of furniture. Fold the rear seat down and use it for sleeping quarters

Quick Reply: quad cab vs mega cab