3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Quad cab....with childseats

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 06:12 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I had my two kids in a car seat in the back of my Toyota Tacoma extra-cab. Then upgraded to the megacab with the Dodge. What a difference obviously.

I actually feel bad for cramming my kids in the Toyota for so long let alone how comfortable it is now for everyone.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys. If all goes well the MegaCab Longbed conversion is mine. It's an 07 with the 5.9 still. Man, I'm nervous.....it's out west and I'm on the east coast, but we'll see how this goes!
Jerry
Old 05-29-2009, 08:24 AM

MEGA CAB, MEGA CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have 19 month old twins and can tell you now that I need a mega cab. I am 6'0 and with both childs behind the front seats it is very tight. The kids feet rest on the back of my seat, they are that close!!!

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GET THE MEG CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-29-2009, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a 05 Quadcab until my son was born, relized on the drive home that the Quad wasnt going to cut it. Bought the Megacab, the kids love the room. When the kids are happy the parents are happy! Just wish I gotten the entertainment system.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:24 PM

MeanGreen,

I am 5'8" and my wife is 5'6" and this is what are setup looks like. You can see on the pass seat where my two year old is kicking the seat. I usually take her shoes off when I put her in her seat.
Attached Thumbnails Quad cab....with childseats-front-passenger.jpg   Quad cab....with childseats-rear-driver.jpg  
Old 05-30-2009, 01:00 PM

Thanks guys.....I actually decided to just keep my 97 F350 crewcab. I got too scared about potential problems with injectors, death wobble, wheel bearings, etc. Not knocking the Dodges...I know Ford had/has just as many issues, but my current truck has been reliable (knock on wood) ever since I bought it used 6 years ago. Even in its modded state, its been a great truck so I figure I'll keep it until it proves itself otherwise.
Jerry
Old 05-31-2009, 01:39 AM

good decision. I like the dodge, but really miss the room of my 04 superduty. Ive got 2.5 and 0.5 kids, forward and rea facing. even the forward facing, which is behind me, can kick my seat. A 2 year old does not understand "stop kicking the seat". rear facing barely fits. Depending on the type of forward facing you have, it may or may not work in the dodge. We bought this crazy ("safest seat" according to the wife) forward facer, and it wouldnt sit right on the seats. it would hit the back glass with the head rest removed. Wouldnt fit at all with the rest in place.

needless to say, when Im alone in the truck I like it a lot. When the family is there, I hate it.

Oh, Im 6'3" and the wife is 5'7"
Old 05-31-2009, 02:27 AM

Have 3 kids:
5/6yr olds are in booster seats - behind me and momma
Infant facing REAR - was in the middle,

Now:
6/7yr olds, one in middle, one behind me
Toddler facing FORWARD - now behind momma (she's shorter)
Old 05-31-2009, 05:12 AM

I've had both and although the Mega was awesome and had ridiculous legroom, I don't have a problem with the QC. I can sit back there comfortably and I'm 6'1". Put a DVD player in and they won't care either way... That's what I did...

Keep in mind. Not everyone has problems with these trucks and the majority who do only have minor ones. You only seem to remember the ones with bad problems though...
Old 06-01-2009, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got the quad cab. One thing that I like about it is I can open the rear door all of the way and not have to worry about hitting the cars next to me in parking lots, even if I have to watch when I open my front door. I haven't seen how big a mega cab rear door is, but I am assuming it is the same as the front door. I think it is better than trying to squeeze in the opening a full sized door would make in the same space. Really easy on the back getting the kid/stuff out.

He's 3 years old now........I do see a larger cab in our future though.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:03 AM
GSW

Anybody have any specific problems or successes with a rear facing infant seat in the middle seat location in a Quad Cab? Or is the only option going to be passenger side with the front seat pushed way up?

Any advice would be helpful for this first timer (wife is due in September).
Old 06-03-2009, 01:45 PM

I have the rear facing in the middle of mine and it works out fine for me. I just use the seat belt. Ive got two styles also and they both work; the removable carrier w- base and the 3in1 big seat. The seats don't need to be way up or anything. However, having a rear facing seat on the outside is a whole other story.

Have a good one.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:38 PM
GSW

Originally Posted by Howy
I have the rear facing in the middle of mine and it works out fine for me. I just use the seat belt. Ive got two styles also and they both work; the removable carrier w- base and the 3in1 big seat. The seats don't need to be way up or anything. However, having a rear facing seat on the outside is a whole other story.

Have a good one.
Thanks for the info. Should work out good.