3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Pulling to the right, anything I can do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 06:54 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rbox
I got it back from the dealer (it was in for new injectors) and they did an alignment on it. Now it pulls to the right even harder.

They said the upper ball joints are worn which is probably causing it. I'm not sure I believe that. I would think that would make the steering sloppy but not a consistent, hard pull to the right???

They won't mess with the alignment anymore until after I get new ball joints. I'm afraid I will do the ball joints and it will still pull and they will tell me I'm SOL. Are they feeding me a line of BS??
Before you get into the ball joints make sure the tires are not the problem. Uneven wear or uneven pressure will make it pull. Running uneven tire pressure to "correct" the problem is a BAD idea.

I think the only sure way and the proper way to fix the pulling problem is to get new ball joints then get an alignment and note how far out the caster and camber are. It will probably be only a caster problem, but you'll know with a good alignment. The number your looking for is the difference between the left and right value. Then get an offset ball joint installed that is the correct value to fix the alignment. The left and right caster numbers will have to match. You'll only need one joint and it will be on the right side.

I don't like the adjustable ones that everyone recommends from Rock Auto because they are way offset and to get the right caster you have to compromise on the camber. The normal offset ones from Napa can be ordered in 1/4 degree increments. You cannot set the caster independently on the left and right sides with the adjusters at the front of the lower links.

Next make sure the steering wheel is aligned properly and not turned to the right or left as you drive straight.

Finally, and while you are getting it all together, you can attach a bungee cord from the right side tie rod end up to the frame on the drivers side to hold it straight till you get the work done. I did this and drove it that way for around 50,000 miles or more.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bad idea

So your saying that its a bad idea to run lower pressure in one side to get the truck to drive straight? Im going to do some more research. Thanx
Old 06-28-2008, 01:50 PM

I think Raspy right on cue. A lot of you are saying that you have check your tire pressure or bought new tires. A lot of the pull to the right are normally generated by low tires on either the front or back. That right! The back can also pull you truck to the left or right, so check all four tires.

When buying new tires make sure that they are installed correctly. Most tire shop hire minimum wage techs to install new tires with little or no expierence. What this means, is some tires are directional tread depending on the white wall in or out, valve stems located at the mark stamped on some tires, and they also need to be properly balanced using the correct weight for the rim. Most tire tech that are in a rush will put mag weights on a steel rim and not take the time to locate the tire valve stem mark. These small things can add up.

Another thing to note, is where is most of you load or storage that is resting in the truck. If most of your tools, spare jacks, and passengers sit to one side, then you might get a heavy pull to that side. I know I do, cause my delivery van at work does this when most of the 2-3000 lbs of furniture that I deliver is on one side of the van. It even more noticable in the **** Wyoming Wind.

Shawn
Old 06-28-2008, 01:52 PM

Which way is the wind blowing?

Another thing, when you have a pull to the right or left. Is the wind blowing in that direction?

Shawn
Old 06-28-2008, 11:35 PM

The tires are new Goodyear Wranglers. It has pulled with 3 different sets of tires and 2 alignments. And the wind isn't blowing. It pulls all the time, always to the right, loaded or unloaded, highway or street, rain or shine. Heck, I think I even feel it pulling me to the right just sitting in my driveway! The dealership just aligned it and it got worse. The truck sits straight on the ground, all 4 corners are the same height from the ground. It'll dang near pull you into the ditch. It's dangerous to pass because if you don't watch it, it'll pull you right into the person your passing. The truck was never wrecked. Aluminum rims. The frame is straight as far as I can tell. Tires are even pressure. I've never seen a vehicle pull like this that an alignment wouldn't fix. Every GM I've had and my 2001 Dodge all drove straight as an arrow. If I take my hands off the wheel in this truck I'm going in the ditch. What to check next??
Old 06-29-2008, 11:16 PM

There has been a lot of consveration that has netted you no benefit as best can tell. So my third post!!!!
From the straight ahead position of steering wheel you must have same number of turns to lock in either direction of wheel. Example. Two turns to right and 2 1/4 turns to left equals a problem.. Have seen many alignment guys set toe and not worry about center of steering gear. Just a thought and won't take but a second to do.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:40 PM

Are you talking about whether the steering wheel is centered? I have adjusted it both ways with no resolution. This is how the dealership set it: Right now if I am driving down the road and let go of the wheel, the wheel will turn itself to the right (not centered) and the truck goes right. To make the truck drive straight I have to center the steering wheel and hold it there.

I will recheck it tomorrow by jacking up the truck and finding the position exactly between left and right lock. However, I know that it will still pull no matter if the wheel is straight, because I have already tried that.

Sorry to be such a pain! I really do appreciate all of your help. This is a great place. I'm just trying to avoid throwing money at it without knowing if it will work...
Old 06-30-2008, 06:38 AM

I'm betting the ball joints are worn out on one side and it's pulling one side to the right hard enough that it's turning the wheel.

I can feel wear in mine at around 30K miles and I'm willing to bet they don't last past 75K. But mine is lifted and has larger tires on it.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:59 AM

I read through olmost all this thread does anyone know if we can adjust our camber ??

Mine pulls to the right to i had a shop tell me you cant align a dodge lol what a bunch of yupies
Old 06-30-2008, 07:37 AM

I think you'd have to get different balljoints to adjust camber if even available??

But from the factory it can't be adjusted as far as I know. Toe and caster can be adjusted.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:38 PM

Check out this web page regarding alignment specs and terms. Lots of good reading. Who knows maybe you will find the answer you are looking for there.
http://www.familycar.com/alignment.htm#Thrust%20Angle

I was reading it trying to find the term for the steering wheel to return to center term.

Have you check your brakes or the steering wheel dampener shock. These might be out of spec and causing your pull to the right.
Shawn
Old 07-15-2008, 06:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Rbox,

Did you get this issue fixed? I am curious because my truck is similar to yours and is starting to do the same thing. I haven't pursued any fix yet - but, I know it's coming. Mine only has 41K of "old lady" style driving on paved streets - with an occasional 5th wheel in tow. I'd hate to think I need ball joints already. I still have the stock Michelins and alloy wheels.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:17 PM

Have you tried just getting an alignment yet, Murvin?
Old 07-15-2008, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been through all of this too... still pulling to the Right... Just to say this up front...

EVERYTHING IS NEW!!! Ball Joints (all 4), steering dampener, brakes, tires... etc...

Still pulls right... So I have just one question...

WHICH DO YOU RECOMEND?????
Old 07-16-2008, 10:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rednecktastic
Have you tried just getting an alignment yet, Murvin?
Hell NO. That would be too simple!

It isn't real bad yet and the tires are still wearing evenly. I just thought I'd find out where this thread was going. If there's something more insidious involved, I'd rather save the money I spend in an exercise in futility trying to align it and address the real problem.

Quick Reply: Pulling to the right, anything I can do?