3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Pulling to the right, anything I can do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling to the right, anything I can do?

I have had the alignment checked and it was within spec. Tire pressures are even. It's not a hard pull but more like a constant leaning/veering/pulling to the right. The shop told me they are set up to drift off to the right incase you "fall asleep at the wheel", but I hate having to keep counterclockwise pressure on the steering wheel just to keep it straight. My 2001 cummins didn't drive like this... Is there anything I can adjust to straigten it up? It's really making the truck a PITA to drive.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:24 PM

Mine is the same way. Stock it was fine but once i added stuff it got worse. I spent 4 hours on the machine trying to figure it out and i gave up.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:33 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by rbox
I have had the alignment checked and it was within spec. Tire pressures are even. It's not a hard pull but more like a constant leaning/veering/pulling to the right. The shop told me they are set up to drift off to the right incase you "fall asleep at the wheel", but I hate having to keep counterclockwise pressure on the steering wheel just to keep it straight. My 2001 cummins didn't drive like this... Is there anything I can adjust to straigten it up? It's really making the truck a PITA to drive.
Carli Suspension has a cure for Toyo pull with their" high clearance" Bilstein steering dampener. Talk to Jesse.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:42 PM

Are your tires new ? Have you tried rotating tires front to back ?
Sometimes you can get a tire that has a bad radial pull.
My truck will also pull right or left if the road has an aggressive drainage pitch.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:49 PM

Mine did it either way i changed my tires. On every set i have put on my truck!
Old 06-05-2008, 08:52 PM

I had the same probelm w/ my old tires. Checked everything alignment, tire psi. Finally just fiured it was a broke belt in the tire. I rotated the bad to the back and soon there after got all new skins......Good luck
Old 06-05-2008, 09:28 PM

Brand new Goodyear Wrangler Silentarmors. I have had 2 other sets of tires on it since I bought it and it has pulled with all 3 sets.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:52 PM

Mine has been the exact opposite. I'm pulling ever so slightly to the left. Took it in and they said my tire pressure was low in the front left tire. They filled it up and said all was fine. Uh....nope.

While pulling, it doesn't do it. When empty, I let go of the wheel and I'm off to the left. My concern is the uneven wear on the tires. I'm not looking to have to change tires anytime soon.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:17 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine pulled to the right too, and it got way worse with worn out 315s. One day I was trying to figure it out and, just for fun, attached a bungee cord on the linkage to compensate. It was so good that I ran for about 50,000 miles with it till I rebuilt my front end.

After getting mine all set up with new ball joints it showed about 1/4 degree difference on the caster between left and right. So next time I'll get an offset ball joint to correct it. But when I got my new Toyos and maxed out the caster adjustment on both sides it pretty much went away.

So, adjust your eccentric caster adjusters to the max and see if that helps, for now. Then get an adjustable ball joint when you redo the front end.

One more thing. Make sure the steering wheel is straight or turned slightly to the right when going straight because it is heavier on the bottom.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Raspy
Mine pulled to the right too, and it got way worse with worn out 315s. One day I was trying to figure it out and, just for fun, attached a bungee cord on the linkage to compensate. It was so good that I ran for about 50,000 miles with it till I rebuilt my front end.

After getting mine all set up with new ball joints it showed about 1/4 degree difference on the caster between left and right. So next time I'll get an offset ball joint to correct it. But when I got my new Toyos and maxed out the caster adjustment on both sides it pretty much went away.

So, adjust your eccentric caster adjusters to the max and see if that helps, for now. Then get an adjustable ball joint when you redo the front end.

One more thing. Make sure the steering wheel is straight or turned slightly to the right when going straight because it is heavier on the bottom.
So where is the caster adjustment?
Old 06-06-2008, 07:45 AM

My Thuren steering stabilizer helped mine out alot.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:21 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rbox
So where is the caster adjustment?
The caster adjustments are at the front of the lower control arms. Turn the excentric adjusters on both sides to move the bottom of the axle forward all the way. This gives max caster. This won't change one side compared to the other but may reduce the pull and it might help with DW.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Raspy
The caster adjustments are at the front of the lower control arms. Turn the excentric adjusters on both sides to move the bottom of the axle forward all the way. This gives max caster. This won't change one side compared to the other but may reduce the pull and it might help with DW.
Thanks! I'll try this today and post my results.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:14 PM

Ok, I pushed the front axle forward all the way. Took it for a test drive and it still pulls to the right. Should I put them back where they were before or is it beneficial to have the caster maxed out? It feels different but I can't pinpoint it. I took pictures before I made the adjustments, this is how the tire shop had them set:
Attached Thumbnails Pulling to the right, anything I can do?-left.jpg   Pulling to the right, anything I can do?-right.jpg  
Old 06-09-2008, 04:36 PM

With the caster adjustments all the way forward, it pulled even harder to the right. I put the driver's side adjustment back to center and left the passenger side caster maxed out. Now it is pulling slightly to the right like before. Surely there is some way to make this truck drive straight! My 2001 Cummins didn't pull like this. Don't tell me all of the 3rd gens are warped beyond repair?!?

I tried to straighten the steering column in the dash where it was crooked but there was not enough movement in the bolts under the dash panel to center it. My steering column still looks like the pictures below!

The truck is really a pain to drive!

If these 3rd gens are this bad I might as well sell it now and get a duramax. I'm starting to think I made a mistake buying this truck with all of the problems I hear about that have no resolution such as vibrations, pulling, recir door, etc... I'm scared that I have made an expensive mistake.
Attached Thumbnails Pulling to the right, anything I can do?-wtf1.jpg   Pulling to the right, anything I can do?-wtf2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Pulling to the right, anything I can do?