3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

New truck price reality check

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New truck price reality check

Looking for some feedback here.

First off, all numbers below are not including the 4500 cash or 60mo/0% dodge to customer incentive since that's the same everywhere.

Trying to get a good deal via fleet/Internet type purchase, where everyone avoids the hassle of the typical sales experience and ends up with a good deal across the board (considering time spent).

I went through Edmunds to get supposed invoice price (realizing that that isn't actually what the dealers have in it), looked at their TMV price (and thought it was too high), and went for the (I thought) easy path of just looking for a deal for around $100 over "true" (according to Edmunds) invoice (let them keep the factory to dealer incentive, holdback, etc.), plus tax, title, doc fees (and watching doc fee cost). First snag was the folks saying they were at $100 over invoice, yet they were $600 higher than they should be according to Edmunds. This came from multiple dealers' fleet folks, and their numbers were consistent. Are they going off of some other supposed "invoice price" ?

Eventually got a deal made for 100 over the Edmunds invoice (dealer claimed he had to cut into the holdback, etc., to sell it to me at 600 or something under his invoice price), not counting the 4500 incentive/0% financing.

In theory, shouldn't the dealer have paid the Edmunds invoice cost, plus any local marketing money the dealer has to pay, minus $1000 holdback and $400 factory to dealer marketing program? If so, then the dealership actually made $1500 by selling to me at $100 over Edmund's invoice, minus whatever (if anything) they had to pay to buy into some regional marketing?

So, guess the questions are just these... What could I do better? Are these numbers right, or am I missing some cost factor one way or the other (ignoring the things like doc fees and other things on the backend)?

Thanks all - was sure many of you had wondered the same things and gone through the same process.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:50 AM

I just purchased a new 08 in January, should be here next week. When I was shopping, the MSRP was $52,070 and invoice (Edmunds) was $46,099. Holdback on this is 3% of MSRP (I believe) which is $1562. All dealerships in this area tack on a $700 advertising fee which they include in their "invoice" price. So I looked at it as the dealer invoice would be 46,099 + 700 = $46,799 and dealer cost would be 46,799 - 1562 = 45,237.

I sat down with my local dealer and the best he would do was 500 under his "invoice" which was $46,300. I decided to e-mail other dealers in the area and one came back with a price of $45,579 which I took. So, depending on how you look at it, I got 520 under Edmunds invoice or 1220 under dealer invoice. I am sure there are other incentives to the dealer, but he said that since I was doing a factory order, making $250 wasn't all that bad. Bottom line for me is that no other dealer in the area would come within $700 of this price, so I am happy with the price.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:32 PM

I bought a $58,000 08 mega cab for around 47,000 or so I think. I will have to get my paperwork. Actually Edmunds invoice price is high. i went with the low interest not the rebate and they still came down around 11k.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:34 PM

Someguy if you are in TX let me know I am very satisfied with who I bought mine from, they have bent over backwards to make me happy with the lift and new wheels. I should be picking it all up today after 4 or so.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:54 PM

Most of the guys are getting 10k+ off the sticker, thats been for a couple of years now. Percentage wise I can't say but the prices were a bit lower 2 years ago. My sticker was 42k I paid 31.5, I felt like I got a really fair deal. Edmunds, KBB, MSN, they are sometimes +/- 4k$'s of each other so I don't know what good that is as a guage. I would send requests for internet quotes from 3-4 dealers, get a ford quote, maybe even a chevy, then put them in your pocket and go shopping, try to cut your best deal, then, if you have to, whip the I-net price from the competition out on them, then walk walk out, make them stop you at the door with the final offer! Like it or not it's a game, if you play well you can win. Always go in on the last weekend or even the last day of the month, they will do a lot to get those final sales #'s for the month.
Good Luck!
Old 03-08-2008, 02:19 AM

you fellers drive a hard bargain IMO a fair deal is 350-750 over actual center dealer invoice

the sales manager , sales man , fleet , etc get paid on a packed invoice of 150- 500 over dealer center invoice

sales manager commission at any top 5 dealership in the country = very high volume store 650-1000 + units a month they pay highest commissions and generally have the strongest sales force !

9 % of the front end gross profit = invoice + pack of approx 150.00 -500.00 depends on how high the demand of the vehicle is

salesman gets 20% of the same margin or flat 25.00 - 50.00 on a minimum deal like you guys are pushing for ! so if the guy sells to 20 buyers like that he eats out of a garbage can & has to walk to work no $

the salesman / managers usually work 70 hrs week sometimes more

if you buy nothing from the most feared & most likely to try & rip you off in any store the finance manager that prints out paperwork and trys to sell you everything but the kitchen sink

and you buy nothing ..... you got it he gets nothing LOL.............

just imagine if your a roofer or a contractor of any kind and your customer says I have a cost invoice for all your materials and I know what the cost of labor is and wants to negotiate a few hundred dollars over cost for a job ? I bet ya all want to run out and sell cars or get a contractors license now ? LMAO.............

everybody deserves to make a decent living & or charge a fair price for product or services

it's always the ones that try to gouge people either way buyers or sellers

that ruins it for the rest of us & turn good service & products into a commodity it's funny when guys complain about bad service at a dealership or wonder why the dealership wants to void the warranty hmm did ya gouge the eyes out of the dealership when you stole your truck ahh I mean bought it ?

congrats on the deals , if it were me running the dealership I would give you a good buy as in see ya next......
too much of a headache it's always the guys that want to trade dollars that turn out to be the big PITA customers !

I was the GSM for the #1 volume domestic store in the USA got out of the business 1995 due to this type of behavior even though I know all the moves I still buy my vehicles at a fair price I dont like to pay too much either but trying to gouge & get as close to trading dollars is not what I consider something to brag about !
Old 03-08-2008, 04:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You should be able to get 10-11K off the sticker (MSRP). Hey, We aren't trying to steal the truck from the dealers. If they can't make a living on what they sell it for then they ought not sell it for that. In reality the diesel trucks MSRP are set way to high. That 50,000 dollar truck is still just a truck, not a house, and 40,000 compared to 50,000 is alot of savings $$$$$$$. I bought my truck used with 17,000 miles on it. I looked at new trucks then and I have driven the new 6.7 trucks. I just can't justify spending that kind of money on a new truck.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:04 AM

Now there's a first, a guy sticking up for the honest, upright and politicially correct dealer's. First of all I dont feel sorry for these guys. When you buy from them you pay their price and when you trade with them its your vehicle @ thier price. how is that a losing situation. You notice this guy didn't mention incentives to deaLers for reaching certain sales #'s.always buy @ the end of the month as close as possible to make the deal, I've been in dealerships @ 9:00 on the last day of the month, and saved thousand just so they could make a Quota#. And the part about a contractor and the customer knowing your cost. I would be happy if my customers knew my cost, then they might be a little understanding and not hire every jack -leg, uninsured, unlicensed,idiot who can hold a hammer and call himself a contractor.Look the bottom line is it's tough all over and only the srong survive.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:28 AM

Desertchecker - what about the $4000-$5000 minimum profit they make on your trade-in when they sell it, that they gave you less than low book for because the market is "soft" for that vehicle? Yeah, I thought so. Look at the house the dealership owner has, and then don't ask me to shed any tears. And don't get me started on RV dealers!
Old 03-08-2008, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by desertchecker
you fellers drive a hard bargain IMO a fair deal is 350-750 over actual center dealer invoice

the sales manager , sales man , fleet , etc get paid on a packed invoice of 150- 500 over dealer center invoice

sales manager commission at any top 5 dealership in the country = very high volume store 650-1000 + units a month they pay highest commissions and generally have the strongest sales force !

9 % of the front end gross profit = invoice + pack of approx 150.00 -500.00 depends on how high the demand of the vehicle is

salesman gets 20% of the same margin or flat 25.00 - 50.00 on a minimum deal like you guys are pushing for ! so if the guy sells to 20 buyers like that he eats out of a garbage can & has to walk to work no $

the salesman / managers usually work 70 hrs week sometimes more

if you buy nothing from the most feared & most likely to try & rip you off in any store the finance manager that prints out paperwork and trys to sell you everything but the kitchen sink

and you buy nothing ..... you got it he gets nothing LOL.............

just imagine if your a roofer or a contractor of any kind and your customer says I have a cost invoice for all your materials and I know what the cost of labor is and wants to negotiate a few hundred dollars over cost for a job ? I bet ya all want to run out and sell cars or get a contractors license now ? LMAO.............

everybody deserves to make a decent living & or charge a fair price for product or services

it's always the ones that try to gouge people either way buyers or sellers

that ruins it for the rest of us & turn good service & products into a commodity it's funny when guys complain about bad service at a dealership or wonder why the dealership wants to void the warranty hmm did ya gouge the eyes out of the dealership when you stole your truck ahh I mean bought it ?

congrats on the deals , if it were me running the dealership I would give you a good buy as in see ya next......
too much of a headache it's always the guys that want to trade dollars that turn out to be the big PITA customers !

I was the GSM for the #1 volume domestic store in the USA got out of the business 1995 due to this type of behavior even though I know all the moves I still buy my vehicles at a fair price I dont like to pay too much either but trying to gouge & get as close to trading dollars is not what I consider something to brag about !

I don't see many dealers going out of buisness around here! Matter of fact the guy who sold us our truck was going to buy a Big screen flat panel with the bonus he got from our sale being the first one of the day!! Doesn't sound like too bad of a deal to me and my truck was 10K off MSRP and alot more off the dealer markup!

Chris
Old 03-08-2008, 10:16 AM

I wanted to chime back in on 2 things. First off, I feel dealers will not make a sale for a price that does not make them a profit, obviously. In my case, I did not drive any hard bargains, just sent out a couple e-mails and my dealership responded with a price he was willing to sell me the truck for. I thought it was a great price, he made a couple hundred bucks, both happy.

As far as buying at the end of the month/year, I was in the Chevy dealer on Dec 31 trying to buy a DMax on the lot (no flames please). The dealer would not come below $700 OVER invoice, so I walked (thankfully). I figured the end of the year would be the best time to buy, but not in this case.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:23 AM

I have never seen a dealer lose money on a deal. If your using a vehical for trade in that is where they probably make most of there money. Up here where i live there are a number of dealer of different brands. I just found out they were all owned by same person. I would have to shop all over the Province to get away from a monopoly like that.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by dawgone
Now there's a first, a guy sticking up for the honest, upright and politicially correct dealer's. First of all I dont feel sorry for these guys. When you buy from them you pay their price and when you trade with them its your vehicle @ thier price. how is that a losing situation. You notice this guy didn't mention incentives to deaLers for reaching certain sales #'s.always buy @ the end of the month as close as possible to make the deal, I've been in dealerships @ 9:00 on the last day of the month, and saved thousand just so they could make a Quota#. And the part about a contractor and the customer knowing your cost. I would be happy if my customers knew my cost, then they might be a little understanding and not hire every jack -leg, uninsured, unlicensed,idiot who can hold a hammer and call himself a contractor.Look the bottom line is it's tough all over and only the srong survive.
all of the following professions are currently on the updated public enemy #1 list included in no particular order

mortgage brokers , contractors , car salesman & lawyers
Old 03-08-2008, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by josh846
I bought a $58,000 08 mega cab for around 47,000 or so I think. I will have to get my paperwork. Actually Edmunds invoice price is high. i went with the low interest not the rebate and they still came down around 11k.
11K and no rebates? Last dealer invoice I looked at on a hard loaded Laramie the thing had about 6K in total markup before his holdback, The guy lost 5K to sell you a truck?...Ummmmm
Old 03-08-2008, 12:24 PM

yea i need that dealers # ,11k off and no interest where do i sign

Quick Reply: New truck price reality check