3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

New Key

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Key

So today i went to the local dealer to get a new key made up for my truck. the service writer took the original (i only had one key) and came back about 5-10 min later saying the new key was cut but the truck wouldnt take/they couldnt program the new key and said it could possibly be something with the truck and $455. i opted to take the key and try another dealer for the programing. on my way to the truck i tried the new (unprogrammed) key to unlock the doors and it worked, so i tried to start the truck with it and that too worked. now after getting home i put the old key far from the truck and new key and the new key still worked. does anyone have any explanations for this/should i trust this new key?
Old 02-18-2013, 12:51 PM

I might carry both keys for a month or two sounds like one of those things that wont work at the worst possible time. Could take the old key and wrap it up in tin foil just to be sure that it is not deactivating the security.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:00 PM

holding onto both keys for a while was something i was thinking as well, but even with that im afraid it wont tell me if the new key is working or not due to the old (known working) key is there.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you sure your truck has a security system on it?? I went to purchase an extra key when I bought my 05 at two years old and the man at the key shop said this truck did not recquire a computer chip style key. I purchased just a normal old style key with no plastic tab. It will start my truck just fine.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:38 AM

Not sure if this helps but this is part of the service manual for an 06

STANDARD PROCEDURE
SKIS INITIALIZATION
The Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS) must be initialized following a Sentry Key REmote Entry Module
(SKREEM) replacement. SKIS initialization requires the use of a diagnostic scan tool. Initialization will also require
that you have access to the unique four-digit PIN code that was assigned to the original SKREEM. The PIN code
must be used to enter the Secured Access Mode in the SKREEM. This PIN number may be obtained from the
vehicle owner, from the original vehicle invoice, or from the DaimlerChrysler Customer Center. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/
ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES - STANDARD PROCEDURE - PCM/ECM/SKREEM PROGRAMMING).
NOTE: If a Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is replaced on a vehicle equipped with the Sentry Key Immobilizer
System (SKIS), the unique Secret Key data must be transferred from the Sentry Key REmote Entry
Module (SKREEM) to the new PCM using the PCM replacement procedure. This procedure also requires the
use of a diagnostic scan tool and the unique four-digit PIN code to enter the Secured Access Mode in the
SKREEM. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information for the proper PCM replacement procedures.
SENTRY KEY TRANSPONDER PROGRAMMING
All Sentry Keys included with the vehicle are pre-programmed to work with the Sentry Key Immobilizer System
(SKIS) when it is shipped from the factory. The Sentry Key REmote Entry Module (SKREEM) can be programmed
to recognize up to a total of eight Sentry Keys. When programming a blank Sentry Key transponder, the key must
first be cut to match the ignition switch lock cylinder in the vehicle for which it will be used. Once the additional or
new key has been cut, the SKREEM must be programmed to recognize it as a valid key. There are two possible
methods to program the SKREEM to recognize a new or additional valid key, the Secured Access Method and the
Customer Learn Method. Following are the details of these two programming methods.
SECURED ACCESS METHOD
The Secured Access method applies to all vehicles. This method requires the use of a diagnostic scan tool. This
method will also require that you have access to the unique four-digit PIN code that was assigned to the original
SKREEM. The PIN code must be used to enter the Secured Access Mode in the SKREEM. This PIN number may
be obtained from the vehicle owner, from the original vehicle invoice, or from the DaimlerChrysler Customer Center.
(Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES - STANDARD PROCEDURE - PCM/ECM/
SKREEM PROGRAMMING).
CUSTOMER LEARN METHOD
NOTE: The Customer Learn feature is only available on domestic vehicles, or those vehicles which have a
U.S. country code designator. This programming method also requires access to at least two valid Sentry
Keys. If two valid Sentry Keys are not available, or if the vehicle does not have a U.S. country code designator,
the Secured Access Method MUST be used to program new or additional valid keys to the SKREEM.
The Customer Learn programming method procedures are as follows:
1. Obtain the blank Sentry Key(s) that are to be programmed as valid keys for the vehicle. Cut the blank key(s) to
match the ignition switch lock cylinder mechanical key codes.
2. Insert one of the two valid Sentry Keys into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the On position.
3. After the ignition switch has been in the On position for longer than three seconds, but no more than fifteen
seconds, cycle the ignition switch back to the Off position. Replace the first valid Sentry Key in the ignition switch
lock cylinder with the second valid Sentry Key and turn the ignition switch back to the On position. The second
valid Sentry Key must be inserted in the lock cylinder within fifteen seconds of removing the first valid key.
4. About ten seconds after the completion of Step 3, the security indicator in the instrument cluster will start to flash
to indicate that the system has entered the Customer Learn programming mode.
5. Within sixty seconds of entering the Customer Learn programming mode, turn the ignition switch to the Off position,
replace the valid Sentry Key with a blank Sentry Key transponder, and turn the ignition switch back to the
On position.
DR VEHICLE THEFT SECURITY - SERVICE INFORMATION 8Q - 77
6. About ten seconds after the completion of Step 5, the security indicator will stop flashing, stay on solid for three
seconds, then turn off to indicate that the blank Sentry Key has been successfully programmed. The SKIS will
immediately exit the Customer Learn programming mode. After the ignition is cycled the vehicle may be started
using the newly programmed valid Sentry Key.
Each of these steps must be repeated and completed in their entirety for each additional Sentry Key that is to be
programmed. If the above steps are not completed in the given sequence, or within the allotted time, the SKREEM
will exit the Customer Learn programming mode and the programming will be unsuccessful. The SKREEM will also
automatically exit the Customer Learn programming mode if it sees a non-blank Sentry Key transponder when it
should see a blank, if it has already programmed eight (8) valid Sentry Keys, or if the ignition switch is turned to the
Off position for more than about fifty seconds.
NOTE: If an attempt is made to start the vehicle while in the Customer Learn mode (security indicator flashing),
the SKIS will respond as though the vehicle were being started with an invalid key. In other words, the
engine will stall after about two seconds of operation. No faults will be set.
NOTE: Once a Sentry Key has been programmed as a valid key to a vehicle, it cannot be programmed as a
valid key for use on any other vehicle.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:13 AM

Hintonc393 as informative as that is I dont think it will help as I only started with one key and the dealer says they couldnt do it.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 AM

well since buying the new key I've driven the truck a few times without the old with to test the idea/theory that the old was helping the new and have been successful and this morning I decided to do something that not a lot of people (myself included) like to do and I broke open the dreaded owners manual. Bottom line after reading it I would say it is a safe bet that my key is indeed good to go. The security indicator stays on as long as it needs to and doesnt flash. I got a key programed for the price of a key. hooray me.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
cant beat that deal! sounds like the dealership didn't know what was going on.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:15 PM

I almost trade off my truck years back because of the alarm system and not being able to get a non-chipped keys..
Old 02-22-2013, 07:16 AM

Makes me wonder if the dealership tried it on the wrong truck?
Old 02-22-2013, 05:58 PM

i doubt they tried the wrong truck b/c i watched them pull it in and whatnot. what i wonder is if they were listening for the horn to sound when they hit the lock/unlock b/c i have that turned off.