3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

New brake pads. Do you use "Brake Quiet"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New brake pads. Do you use "Brake Quiet"?

I've had issues with squealing brakes on just about every Dodge truck I've owned. Because of that I always put brake quiet on them upon installation. Older brakes used to come with a little tube of it and instructions on how to use it. New brakes don't include it anymore nor do they say anywhere if you need it or not. My brakes were making some noise so I went and got some Dodge Valu-Line pads for the front of my truck. (Dealer wanted $175 for the OEMs) I installed them with some anti squeal on the contact points and the squeal did not go away. I figured maybe it was the rears but they still had plenty of life left in them. I pulled them and found that the backing on them was really, really rusty so I replaced them too. My squeal is still there and I am getting very irritated. This morning I started wondering if maybe it was the brake quiet that may be causing my issues. I have even pulled the fronts again and put more of that stuff on them. No help though.
So, do you guys just install them as is or do you put some of this stuff on when you install yours? I'm thinking about pulling them, once again, and scraping all the goo off and then reinstalling them. In the past I have only had good luck with the OEMs but I hate to have wasted $100 on these only to toss them in the garbage now and spend the $$$ on the real OEMs.....
Old 03-05-2010, 09:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always use it. Make sure all the contact points are clean and relativly rust free
Old 03-05-2010, 10:07 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Genos Garage offers the value line fronts for $56.00. There's a bunch of discount online Dodge dealers out there one of which is www.mopar4less.com
Old 03-05-2010, 10:58 AM

Yeah, I found the Genos ones after these were already on the truck. they are the same ones though. If I cannot get it figured out then I will be looking for some discount regular OEMs.....
The truck sure stops great now. It just makes a lot of noise doing it. Then to top everything else off my front end sounds like it's falling apart every time I hit a bump. Now I have to try to figure that out. Everything looks fine...
Old 03-05-2010, 05:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Never use it. I just us Silicone grease on the slides, contacting area of the pads, etc. Just make sure you have the factory backing plates/shims. I haven't looked at my truck to see what Dodge uses. No shims, instant squeeling pig.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:19 AM

They DO come with those backing plates on them. It was recommended that I apply some Brake Quiet to the metal clips that hold the pads in place. I am pulling all the brakes AGAIN and trying that. One of my biggest problems is that I cannot really tell if it's coming from up front or in back. It's most likely up front though....
Old 03-06-2010, 10:58 AM

I know this is a bad word, but I use Autozone brakes and grease the pins and have never had a peep on the Dodge, now the Honda van rear drums is a different story.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:38 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
If you're talking about that bright orange rubbery stuff, I thought it had become extinct years ago. Today, the best way to combat brake harshness is to add a thin film of brake lubricant where the brake pad's backing contacts the caliper. It seems that trying to glue the pad to the caliper wasn't as effective as allowing for movement between the two parts, and adding lubricant to improve it and keep it quiet. In the absence of brake lubricant, antiseize is better than simply leaving it dry.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:51 PM

That's the stuff and it has always worked in the past except for when I tried other than OEM pads. I think that's the whole problem too. I got raped on the stupid Valu-Line pads because I did not feel like being gang-raped on the regular OEMs. I guess I should have just taken it like a man and got the OEMs.
I pulled the fronts again and gooped up the clips too this time and it did not help. I'm contemplating gooping up the clips in the back and if that does not work then I'm going for some OEM front pads and I'll take a sledge hammer to these and send them back to Dodge...

The biggest problem here is that I simply cannot tell for sure if it's the fronts or the rears that are making the noise. I've tried driving up close to a box truck in our parking lot and hitting the brakes right as I get beside it in the hopes that I will be able to tell for sure but it just isn't that easy... It really sucks because my truck is all shiny and clean today and it really takes away from my Farvegnugen when I have to listen to this....
Old 03-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Did you have the rotors turned? Or even just de-glaze them? I have not used the rubbery stuff in years. I make sure to clean every single moving or pivoting part and use a good silicon grease. I deglaze the rotors and put a bevel on the new pads before installing them. I then take it for a test drive and do about ten 30mph to zero stops with light even pedal pressure. I then take it for a drive for a few miles and stop as normal as possible. No squeaking what so ever.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:59 PM

I did not get the rotors turned.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:06 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Couple of things from that dusty part in the back of my brain. First, turning the front rotors not only gives it a new smooth biting surface for the new pads. It cleans out the residual material of the old pads that gets ground into the rotors. It always happened to me if I did a pad swap to get rid of squealing. The squeal came back because of this. Secondly, Mopar value lines squeal. If you're lucky and they stop at all with a load. After four brake jobs on four 3rd gen trucks, I've found that Wagner Thermo-quiets worked the best. Hard stopping even with heat from heavy loads and no squealing. Just a little anti-sieze on the ends of the pads where they slide and a tiny bit on the slide bolts themselves. Wagner's tend to always be running a rebate offer too. $60 bucks for pads and a $15 rebate. Nice!! HTH DZ

p.s. best quiet snake oil I saw or used was BG Stop Squeal. It was like graphite and alcohol. Very watery and it would seep into the pad material. Even that wouldn't last longer than 15-20k miles though.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ratlratl
Couple of things from that dusty part in the back of my brain. First, turning the front rotors not only gives it a new smooth biting surface for the new pads. It cleans out the residual material of the old pads that gets ground into the rotors. It always happened to me if I did a pad swap to get rid of squealing. The squeal came back because of this. Secondly, Mopar value lines squeal. If you're lucky and they stop at all with a load. After four brake jobs on four 3rd gen trucks, I've found that Wagner Thermo-quiets worked the best. Hard stopping even with heat from heavy loads and no squealing. Just a little anti-sieze on the ends of the pads where they slide and a tiny bit on the slide bolts themselves. Wagner's tend to always be running a rebate offer too. $60 bucks for pads and a $15 rebate. Nice!! HTH DZ

p.s. best quiet snake oil I saw or used was BG Stop Squeal. It was like graphite and alcohol. Very watery and it would seep into the pad material. Even that wouldn't last longer than 15-20k miles though.
I agree with the comments mentioned by ratlratl. I use the Wagner pads on our company trucks, all of which are Dodge Ram 2500 CTDs. I have attached a link to a rebate offer for those intrested.

http://www.fmsmartchoice.com/tqpromotion.html