3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Need some 3rd gen help about a possible purchase...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some 3rd gen help about a possible purchase...

At the risk of others stealing my deal , I'm curious what you guys think of this truck?
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...reset_crumbs=y

Good price? What should I offer? I've been looking into 06+ for numerous reasons. Better engine than mine, better transmission, direct support for exhaust brake, much nicer body than the earlier third gens, easiest to chip and get big power, etc...I'd prefer a manual for reliability reasons, but don't mind my auto now and wouldn't mind building one on a newer truck.

Not a huge fan of the interior, but would likely put in a set of Ali seat covers.

Any specific areas of interest I should ask about?

Gimme all ya got guys!

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 10-09-2008, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Have the ball joints been replaced yet? If not, you might as well expect it soon. Mine went at 47K and cost me $1,000.00 to have all four replaced with greasable ones.
2. Look for evidence of a leaking rear window, e.g. flip the rear seats up where you can see the backside of the cab and also look in the under seat storage areas. Also, if the inside of the rear window has not been cleaned, if there is a leak from the top of the glass you should be able to see where water has run down the inside surface of the glass
3. Drive it and see if the tranny has the 1-2-1-2 shuttle shift syndrome under light acceleration. There is a TSB on this and Dodge will fix it under warranty, but at 59K miles, a free fix is not in the cards, unless there is a transferable extended warranty available. Mine has the shuttle shift, but it did not appear until after I was out of warranty and has not been fixed.
4. I'd definitely get some quality seat covers, because the fabric stains unbelievably easy. I went with Marathon Superhides and have been extremely pleased. Others swear by Wet Okoles.
5. Run the A/C through the recirc and outside air cycle to verify the recirc door is not broken. Also, run the system through the various settings for defrost, floor, and panel air flow to verify the blend door is operating correctly.

Good luck and let us know it works out.

Last edited by ssandlin; 10-09-2008 at 12:51 PM. Reason: add number 5
Old 10-09-2008, 12:52 PM

Well, I guess maintenance like that is a give-in. They're not any worse than a 2nd gen and with 145k on mine, I've seen most of it . It's a dealership, so they don't know the history of the truck and that sort of thing doesn't show up on a carfax.

What's the shifting fix? A flash? Shift enhancer?

A smarty would definitely be in my future even if it isn't as simple as a flash?
Old 10-09-2008, 01:01 PM

Here's a link to the TSB on the shuttle shifting

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2007/21-009-07.htm
Old 10-09-2008, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the link. Pretty sure that part gets replaced with an aftermarket valve body anyways, doesn't it?

Any suggestion on what to offer them? It's similar to what you have in your signature. If you were to buy that truck again tomorrow, what would be a fair price for purchase in this market? You can PM me if you think you might sell your truck soon and don't wanna shoot your self in the foot with future buyers that might see this
Old 10-09-2008, 04:56 PM

No one is knocking down anyones door to buy "new" vehicles. I bet they would let it go for $20k out the door.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:43 AM

ALI Seat covers are the best! I love mine. As for shutter shifting, dealer replaced my selonoid and that fixed it so far.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:14 PM

I notice there is a link on the AutoTrader.com web page to NADA pricing for that truck. I clicked it and the NADA price is $19,725.00, based on a "clean" truck. Check it out and make an offer a little less and see what they say.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by ssandlin
I notice there is a link on the AutoTrader.com web page to NADA pricing for that truck. I clicked it and the NADA price is $19,725.00, based on a "clean" truck. Check it out and make an offer a little less and see what they say.
I've sorta changed directions from that one right now anyways. They aren't willing to negotiate much on the price, and with the flooded market it's not worth haggling. I found a bright red sport with 10k miles more, same year, options, etc... except it has the dedicated center console. They're asking a little less, so I might be able to get them into a better price range instead.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:17 AM

offer them 18K....or wait you will find a good deal....also be sure to check the engine hrs and divide by the total miles to get an idea of how the truck was driven....45m/eng.hr is a highway truck, 25m/eng.hr is a beat up traffic truck.....i would be more interested in the miles per engine hr, as opposed to the total miles.

to check the engine hrs, turn the key on, scroll the Odometer to the total miles display, hold the scroll/reset button down until the total hrs show up on the dash. Should come in handy...now go find a sweet truck!!!
Old 10-14-2008, 01:49 AM

just picked up an 05-Dodge Ram-2500 Quadcab ,Shortbed 4-wheel , 60-K Miles , Laramie Sports Packadge Fully loaded All- Blacked out in Color, Black Leather Interior with grey swede inlay, Came with Edge Juice Programmer and Monitor, a 6-inch Fabtech Lift Kit, With Dual Front Res Shocks up Front
Automatic Purchased it from A Large Toyota Dealer ship in Arizona off E-bay for $21,500 Mint Condition, So Far It Runs great. Calling Dave Goerend In the Morning to Order a Full Billet transmission and have silverline 4' inch exhaust on the way along with AFE Stage-2 , And a Raptor-150 Lift Pump, Selling the Edge that Came with it for 400.00 and re-placing it with a Smarty.
You Can Find More Truck for a Better Price, Try Private Party if you Can find someone that will really work with you, You want to be happy All said and Done on the Truck You Have for the Money You Spent.
Look for a Distressed private Party Seller , there is plenty of them out there, as long as you have an indepedant financing source , un-less you paying Cash.
Good Luck