3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 06:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation

I would love to put dodges factory navigation in my truck. I know I would need the nav bezel And navigational system as well. Any pointers on wiring ,prices hints clues anyware to go? Would love some help on this My truck is just a normal 06 SLT.
Thanxs
Chris
Old 09-10-2007, 07:19 PM

Personally, though the factory nav system looks great, the way it operates is terrible. If you compare they way it works to an after market GPS like Garmin or Magellan there is no comparison. They are fast, easy to work, easy to find addresses with, etc and they have huge nation-wide databases built into internal memory so you have no CD's to mess with. You can get an on dash model for as little as $600.

If you want an in-dash unit, go with one of the after market units built into a premium stereo system. They go in-dash and the nav screens comes out and pops up. They work much better than factory nav and cost around $1800 installed for a good one like Kenwood.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Garmin.

That is all you need to know about navigation, but one word is too short for this web site to take it.

Trust me, I know about navigation equipement. I fly part time for a living. All other navigation equipment are just toys.

No comments please.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:53 PM

X2 on the Garmin.Bought a Quest for under $200.Can move it from car to car,my motorcycle heck you can even take it hiking & fishing.With this model you have to preload in the areas your going to travel.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:19 PM

I got the JVC KD_NX5000 its a nav system and dvd player with 40gig hard drive built in. The resson I got this one is no nav disks and it has free down loadable updates from the web. Nice system but it has a fairly high price tag, I just got it two weeks ago I paid $1500 installed with two monitors.

03 Qcab Sbox
Old 09-11-2007, 04:30 AM

I bought a factory REC Nav from a guy on another site. The factory wiring just plugs right in to the new unit. You need the new Bezel and a Navigation antenna which you mount up under the dash after pulling it apart. It is actually very simple to do and only took me about an hour from start to finish. I agree that aftermarket units work easier with touch screen and all but I didn't want to have an external unit mounted on top of my dash. I don't use it that often so it's great for me. PM me if you want to know where I got mine for a pretty good deal.....
Old 09-11-2007, 10:33 AM
Banned

Well, I decided to go with the Mopar Navus factory add-on unit. I wanted to keep the factory 6 disc CD/Cassette/AM-FM/Sirrius/WMA/MP3 player, and couldn't find aftermarket that did all this, plus offered navigation. The Navus unit is made by Garmin specifically for Chrysler.

Not the best picture, but here it is... (please excuse the tiger)

It offers touch screen controls, was extremely easy to wire in, and has worked flawlessly. I am continually amazed at the level of detail of the trails/roads etc that come on the 2GB card. Can you believe that it had road names for these trails I was on 2 weekends ago?

I've been impressed with unit. I picked mine up from ebay for $350 including the nationwide card. With this unit, you can retain full function of the headunit and navigation at the same time.

The only complaint I have against it so far, is it doesn't warn you when the ground is getting soft...well, actually, if I would have looked before hand, the navigation unit showed that I was in the middle of the lake at this point! Oh well...

--Eric
Old 09-11-2007, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by enafzige

What is in the bottom cubby?
Old 09-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Banned

What is in the bottom cubby?
It's a DSP (digital signal processor) made by kenwood. It never made it big in the U.S. for some reason, but it's awesome. Allows complete control over phasing, imaging, room size, staging, EQ, sub control, and lots of stuff I'm not sure how to use correctly. It really makes the system come alive though! --Eric
Old 09-12-2007, 04:43 PM

I believe the Kenwood indash units use Garmin GPS hardware and software.

The Garmin Nuvi 650 Personal Travel Assistant GPS is a sweet $450 unit for stand alone, and there are proclip kits avaible for mounting other than on the dash or stuck to the windsheild. All maps are in flash, nice touch screen and large enough display.