3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Mopar Diamond Plate... Can't get them to shine

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mopar Diamond Plate... Can't get them to shine

Hey everyone, I have a complete set of Mopar diamond plate steps and flaps. They were beautiful when I first got them, but now, a few months later, they are really dulling. I am looking for the best, and easiest way to keep up with these. A few people have said try the Mothers power ball, but Also a few people have said the diamond plate will shred the power ball right up. So, I dont feel like spending like $25 to get 1/4 the way through polishing, and having no power ball left. I also heard that an old piece of decent pile carpet with some polish on it will do the trick.

These are really nice looking boards when they shine, but its been hard to keep them that way, and even harder to try and polish them. I tried the polish wadding, and nothing, tried a cream polish, and would take FOREVER if I had to do a few inches at a time!! When my truck is detailed, and a fresh coat of wax, it still looks like it came off the showroom, but the dulling boards kill the overall look!!

Any help, reccomendations, or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:37 PM

Every now & then I see a commercial for a product called "Flitz" It uses a polishing device you chuck up in a drill, like the power ball. They show it being used on a diamond plate tool box with the Flitz polishing compound. Google "Flitz" and see what comes up. Hope this helps
Old 09-08-2006, 11:48 PM

What About Tips For Polishing Diamond Plate?
Apply Flitz with a rag (only about one square foot at a time). Buff off with an old towel that has a thick pile (paper towels would just get torn up). BETTER YET, do your initial buff with an old piece of carpeting that has a good nap. You can staple it to a piece of 2x4 to make it easy to grip. This will allow you to polish deep into the grooves of diamond plate. Then follow with a buff with an old towel. Best Solution - use Flitz Polishing and Buffing Ball. It is an excellent choice for polishing diamond plate metals. It can be very difficult to get into all the nooks and crannies, and the that's what the Polishing Ball really "Shines!".