3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Molded Plastic & Shift Knob Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Molded Plastic & Shift **** Removal

I've have an 06 SRW 3500 Quad Cab with the G56 6spd that I need to get to the shift tower to adjust it. I had the truck worked on at a Dodge dealer and he messed several things up, one being the adjustment on the shift tower. I don't want him messing with my truck again.
I understand you can jockey the tower around a little bit to make it easier to get it in gear. When I brought it in to have the defective DMF replaced with a SMF I ended up with it being VERY hard to put in reverse and also hard to get into Low & 1st. 5&6th are easier than it was when I brought it in. I think it needs to be moved to the left a bit.

I haven't looked real hard at it yet but I'm not seeing how to remove the plastic (the manual doesn't tell me) so I can get at the top of the trans. Also do the factory rubber shift ***** screw on? They are REAL hard to unscrew if that is the case.
Mike Wood
Old 01-28-2009, 09:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The black rubber bottoms of the cup holders pull up to reveal screws. If you have electric shift transfer case, the black oblong storage thing pulls up revealing more screws. If not, I think you unscrew and/or pull up the transfer case shifter boot.

Unless it has changed, I think you can pry out the center part of the shift **** to reveal a bolt.

The upper part of the shifter can also be disconnected from the transmission.

I wasn't aware there was a way to adjust the shift tower, but I haven't had to mess with one.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff in TD
The black rubber bottoms of the cup holders pull up to reveal screws. If you have electric shift transfer case, the black oblong storage thing pulls up revealing more screws. If not, I think you unscrew and/or pull up the transfer case shifter boot.

Unless it has changed, I think you can pry out the center part of the shift **** to reveal a bolt.

The upper part of the shifter can also be disconnected from the transmission.

I wasn't aware there was a way to adjust the shift tower, but I haven't had to mess with one.
It's a manual shift transfer case. I'll try this stuff, thanks. Pete at South Bend told me about the shift tower thing. He also told me I should run this trans a quart over (like is recommended with the earlier 5spd.). I don't feel all warm & fuzzy about that.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:42 AM

There is no need to remove the actual shifter ****.
Like said above, the fake leather boot is just held in by clips, once it's off there's some scews to remove to take off the plastic cup holder thing, lift up on it and undo the 1 bolt to take off the transfer case shifter, once it's gone you'll see an orange (or red?) shift tower boot that will probly have a hole in it. The long part of the shifter comes off the business end with 2 bolts.

I had mine apart when I did the clutch, I pretty sure the shifer is not adujustable.

It's normal to hear a little more noise from the tranny when you get rid of the DM flywheel, SB tells you to over fill the tranny a quart to try to quiet things down a little, I won't do that to mine unl I get a new shift tower boot.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:44 AM

I wanted to know how it comes off anyway because I was eyeballing those nice aluminum ***** that SB was offering.

Like said above, the fake leather boot is just held in by clips, once it's off
Where are the clips located and how do I take them off without breaking them?

there's some screws to remove to take off the plastic cup holder thing, lift up on it and undo the 1 bolt to take off the transfer case shifter, once it's gone you'll see an orange (or red?) shift tower boot
this is on the transmission, correct?

that will probably have a hole in it. The long part of the shifter comes off the business end with 2 bolts.
I'm pretty sure the shifter is not adjustable.

Pete was saying that there is a tiny bit of play in the tower that can make the difference. I don't know any other way to explain the difficulty going in gear moving from one side of the shift pattern to the other? It made sense to me. I'll update when I finish it.

It's normal to hear a little more noise from the tranny when you get rid of the DM flywheel, SB tells you to over fill the tranny a quart to try to quiet things down a little, I won't do that to mine until I get a new shift tower boot.
Yeah, it is noisier now, but I wouldn't even consider putting another POS DM flywheel back in this truck. That seems like a stupid solution to a non-existent problem.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Wood
I wanted to know how it comes off anyway because I was eyeballing those nice aluminum ***** that SB was offering.

Like said above, the fake leather boot is just held in by clips, once it's off
1 Where are the clips located and how do I take them off without breaking them?

there's some screws to remove to take off the plastic cup holder thing, lift up on it and undo the 1 bolt to take off the transfer case shifter, once it's gone you'll see an orange (or red?) shift tower boot
2 this is on the transmission, correct?

that will probably have a hole in it. The long part of the shifter comes off the business end with 2 bolts.
I'm pretty sure the shifter is not adjustable.
3 Pete was saying that there is a tiny bit of play in the tower that can make the difference. I don't know any other way to explain the difficulty going in gear moving from one side of the shift pattern to the other? It made sense to me. I'll update when I finish it.

It's normal to hear a little more noise from the tranny when you get rid of the DM flywheel, SB tells you to over fill the tranny a quart to try to quiet things down a little, I won't do that to mine until I get a new shift tower boot.
Yeah, it is noisier now, but I wouldn't even consider putting another POS DM flywheel back in this truck. That seems like a stupid solution to a non-existent problem.

1 just yank on the leather, the clips will let go, or work a screw driver on the edge of it whil yanking, it'll come right off.

2 yup, I had 30k miles on mine and it had a hole in it already, pretty common from what I've read on here.

3 I didn't look that closely at it but I didn't see any obvious adjustments, maybe your clutch is just going? Didn't you change it when they did the flywheel?
Old 02-03-2009, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
maybe your clutch is just going? Didn't you change it when they did the flywheel?
Yup, new SB clutch, pressure plate & SM flywheel.