3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Love my truck, but what next???

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love my truck, but what next???

I love my truck and the cummins, but man!!! Since after 3 months of buy my truck brand new I have had a lot of mechanical issues. From the tranny, transfer case output seal, check engine lights, blend doors, a/c quit working, back window leaks (2 windows put in and possible leak again), little orange hose leaking coolant, and NOW!!! my tailgate does not want to latch. I have to slam the thing really hard to get it to latch, I swear I'm gonna bend the metal in. My wife came running out of the house to see what was going on, and when she saw the thing wasn't latching up, she had a fit. Telling me the truck has got to go. I told her I would get it fixed and she says "that's all you've been doing since you bought the darn thing, whats next the wheels falling off going down the road." Man oh man, I hope nothing else goes wrong. Especially when I'm at a red light and I have a thumping noise coming from underneath the truck my wife gives me the look of, what the h*ll is that?
Old 03-06-2010, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds about right but there are cheap plastic clips in the tailgate that go bad it is a quick fix and should be ok after you do that
Old 03-06-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by 1985cucv
sounds about right but there are cheap plastic clips in the tailgate that go bad it is a quick fix and should be ok after you do that
Where can you get the replacement clips at, the dealer or local auto store?
Old 03-06-2010, 08:43 PM

Man its stories like these that make me wonder. I mean I know the cummins is the best **** diesel on the market but everything surrounding it is junk. I just bought my uncles 05 quad cab 2500 4wd for $3500, it just needs a new tranny. I was going to keep it but now after reading all the stories on dtr I think im better off getting rid of it asap. I feel bad for you dodge guys, I love the cummins and your trucks look mean as hell but its seems like everyone has replaced this and that a lot of them with less than 50k miles is it just me or what? Is my truck worth keeping someone please lift my spirits.
Im a Ford man all the way I just thought I was gettting a good deal.
I think I just took on someones elses headache.....
Old 03-06-2010, 10:31 PM

$3500!?!? That sounds like a steal to me for an '05 4x4. How many miles does it have? I've had no serious problems with mine other than a door seal and door latch.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:49 PM

My 2006 has been virtually problem free. It just goes down the road doing whatever I ask of it or put it through. I owned and drove Fords for 40 years, this is my first Dodge, and all I can say is there will NOT be another new Ford in my driveway again. I am very pleased with my truck.

Sorry to hear that you are having so many problems. I did have the blend door issue, it was fixed under the warranty. My rear pinion seal was weepinga little bit, the dealer noticed it when they were putting in the new HVAC system and fixed it. My only complaint was about the vibrations fromthe 2-piece driveshaft, I replaced it with a 1-piece. NO more complaints, just happily going down the road.

waterhaul 36 - if you want to sell that truck - I'll buy it off of you. I have a friend with an 05, just blew his motor, he's looking for a parts truck.

CD
Old 03-06-2010, 11:02 PM

Most of us do not have problems with our trucks any more than the other brands. It's the old "squeeky wheel gets the greese" thing. The loudest whiners are what we remember. Oh, and that "Crap, is that going to happen to mine?" question in your mind doesn't help either.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:32 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I have repaired many makes of vehicles for many years, and certainly can't tell you that the Dodge is any worse than any other truck. It sounds like the OP bought a used truck that may have had harder use than some other trucks. It helps to look for the most durable features when you pick a truck. For example, I chose a truck with a Dana 80 rear axle, because that was the more durable of the two available axles, and a manual transmission because that was the more durable of the two available transmissions. I also had the luxury of choosing a used truck that was very well maintained by its original owner. That makes a big difference right there. My previous truck, incidentally, was a Chev, and I have been far happier with the reliability of my Dodge.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by capnp72
$3500!?!? That sounds like a steal to me for an '05 4x4. How many miles does it have? I've had no serious problems with mine other than a door seal and door latch.
It has 197k but high mileage doesnt scare me its needs a new tranny though, and the ac doesnt work i've crawled underneath it about 20 times and absolutely nothing is leaking. I thought I was getting an awesome deal thats why I bought it. I was gona sell it after i fixed it but everyday I look at it i just want it more and more. I just keep reading the threads about peoples problems with these trucks and frankly it worries what can I say.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:27 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Like torquefan said. My 80yo father bought a GMC diesel two years ago and has had it in the dealers nine times for many problems and is still unhappy. I think all of the brands keep changing things so the new model is "better" than last years without fixing the bugs.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This forum has almost 68,000 members at this time (according to the members list above). Most people just read the posts for future referance and to learn from others mistakes. Most members post because they have a questions about their truck. The smallest group of members post because of factory or dealer related problems. This is how we all learn about our trucks. Think of all the different parts involved to make a car/truck move, stear, stop, cool, heat, and all the electrical in that machine. We as a nation are spoiled and want every thing now with out the responsability of upkeep/maintanance and when the smallest thing fails, the entire truck is junk. All things fail and wear out! If it did not, the manufacturer would go out of business because you would never need to buy another of their product. This is what makes the world economy go around. Yes, the manufacturer (ALL MANUFACTURERS) knows (on average) when parts of the truck are going to fail and need replaced. That is how they calculate the warranty time and the cost of the extended warranty. No guess work here (sometimes misscalculations). most of us have good "luck" with our trucks and get to the 150,000mi with only normal maintanance, and some of us don't. Driving habits, Off road, mods, garage - no garage, warm climate - cold climate - rust belt, and quality of the normal maintanance done on the truck usually dictate the life span of most of the parts in the truck. With all that we ask of our trucks, do you think that Toyota will last with the same demands we ask of our trucks, put on it? NO! You have a good, solid product. Its had a few issues with small parts failing. Fix the truck and then take your wife out in the truck on a nice "DATE" that SHE will enjoy. I think things will smooth out for you.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:53 AM

I know a Ford guy who's truck has spent more time in the shop than in his driveway. He's a diehard Ford guy and refuses to give up on it. When he's done he will certainly get another one too. His son has the same exact issues with his Ford. Both of them got their trucks to haul their Fiver's around but they are both leary of doing it.

Any used vehicle is going to have issues. That's usually the reason the last owner gets rid of it.....
Old 03-07-2010, 08:40 AM

My truck wasn't bought used. I drove it off the lot with 11 miles on it.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Don't buy no ugly truck!

Our 2006 has been trouble free except for blend door breaking and that was repaired under warranty.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:56 PM

Bought my 06 new. I have 207,000 miles on it. Only problem ive had was a very early( under 10k miles) pressure plate problem which was fixed under warranty and my seatbelt signal had an issue till I disarmed it. Other than that the truck has been a dream

I think that sometimes there are just lemons out there

Quick Reply: Love my truck, but what next???