3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Lost key to my mopar locking lug nuts

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost key to my mopar locking lug nuts

I lost the key for my factory locking wheel nuts. My tires are long overdue for a rotation, and I know it’s only a matter of time till I get a flat. I’ve tried going to a couple of tire shops, but none of the shops around here had a extractor big enough to fit over the nut. The locking nut is round and smooth on the outside with the “key” portion on the inside of the nut. The outside of is a hair over 1” in diameter and a 1” extractor from snap on will not fit.

I’m trying to find a tool to remove my lug nuts. There are lots of locking lug nut removing tools out there but they all seem to be for smaller lug nuts. I have found this set http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/lti4240.html This is the only set I have found with a extractor over 1”, but I’m concerned that the 1 3/16” tool will be too big.

I really don’t want to order this set if it won’t work, I know there has to be a proper tool out there somewhere. I know I can’t be the first person with this problem. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:58 PM

I had the same problem with mine, i bought my truck and had it for 1 year befor i went to rotate the tires, only to find out i had locking lugs like the ones you described. good thing i never had a flat, i would have been hooped. i tryed vice grips, pipe wrench, kicking it. finally what i did was get a grinder, ground the lug nut so it was sort of octagon shaped, then i pounded a impact socket on it. came off no problem. of cource the lock nuts where garbage but i managed to rotate the tires.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should be able to buy a new socket at the dealer.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:41 PM

that was the first thing i tryed, and i sure Carl did to. the dealer said they dont have keys for lugnuts. and if you think about it....if it was that easy to get a lugnut key what would be the point of having locking lugnut's, if anybody could get a key that fits.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by yukon mike
that was the first thing i tryed, and i sure Carl did to. the dealer said they dont have keys for lugnuts. and if you think about it....if it was that easy to get a lugnut key what would be the point of having locking lugnut's, if anybody could get a key that fits.
I think I'm going to get rid of my lock-nut and go to the standard system. I only have the one "key", and I don't like not having a back-up. This thread has reminded me.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yukon mike
how bout buying new??
Mopar Locks
Old 01-21-2007, 01:18 PM

The first thing I do when I get a set of locks is to send the registration card in along with a check for a replacement. I keep the spare lock in the house just in case something happens to the original one.
This all stems from having to go through loosing a lock key years ago and not having sent in the registration card. I used a stripped nut removal tool (a round socket with carbide sprags inside) with an impact gun and the locks came right off.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:49 PM

My son lost my lock key years ago, before registrations, etc. I just used a grinder and made 2 flat spots that I could get a wrenck on, came right off. I had a friend who used a stripped nut removal tool, came right off, same as 06RAMCTD. Knew another person who tack welded a nut on to get his off.

CD
Old 01-21-2007, 03:16 PM

CD in NM,
Tack welding a nut on is probably a very good method to get the lock nuts off. You have the added benefit of the heat allowing the lock nuts to break free easier. Put a light coat of petroleum jelly on the wheel and the splatter from welding will not stick to the wheel itself.