3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Locked Out!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:24 AM
eot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locked Out!!!!

Hey Guys,

Didnt know if you knew this or not but if you start your truck like I do in the mornings and let it run a few be CAREFULL! The dam thing locked me out. My 01 would not let this happen with the keys in ignition but this 06 did! It was 6:00 a.m I had to be on a job. It was about 10 degrees out. I recently bought this truck and had not bouught a spare key for it yet. It does have the alarm w/ the key fob. So before I broke my window out. I called the local sherriffs dept. My buddy came out laughing at me. It took him about 2 minutes to get it open. So now I have a spare and can get to it if this happens again. Just wanted to share this so keep a key with you at all times. I had the dealership make me one that will just open the door. Cause the spare that will start truck is expensive due to the chip in them. I hope this dont happen to any of you on the road! That would be bad!
Old 02-11-2010, 02:42 AM

That reminds me that maybe I sould invest in one of those spare keys

Just can't get over that price tag. darn dealers You know they probly only pay $15 for em but then turn around and put a $100 tag on it
Old 02-11-2010, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by BigBore050
That reminds me that maybe I sould invest in one of those spare keys

Just can't get over that price tag. darn dealers You know they probly only pay $15 for em but then turn around and put a $100 tag on it
I should probably go get me one that will just open the doors. I went and inquired on the cost of a new one to start the truck and IIRC they wanted over $200 for the key, cutting and programming.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:44 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought two key blanks off Ebay for $10.00 each, I had them cut for $5.00, then I had one programed at the dealer for $45.00. I am going to program the 3rd key myself using the two keys already programmed. I bought a 3rd FOB also. I already had two programmed FOB's, but just one key.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by annabelle
I bought two key blanks off Ebay for $10.00 each, I had them cut for $5.00, then I had one programed at the dealer for $45.00. I am going to program the 3rd key myself using the two keys already programmed. I bought a 3rd FOB also. I already had two programmed FOB's, but just one key.
I take it that the earlier models have a seperate FOB for the door locks instead of the HUGE all-in-one key? I sometimes wish mine were seperate. It's almost funny to me how when I'm trying to lock or unlock the doors it seems like I have to be close to the truck, but let me bend down or over something in the shop with the key in my pocket and I will hear the horn blast.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:05 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiteMule
I take it that the earlier models have a seperate FOB for the door locks instead of the HUGE all-in-one key? I sometimes wish mine were seperate. It's almost funny to me how when I'm trying to lock or unlock the doors it seems like I have to be close to the truck, but let me bend down or over something in the shop with the key in my pocket and I will hear the horn blast.
Yes, I have a separate FOB and chipped key.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:20 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
You don't need a fancy expensive key. If your locked out, your key fob will be inside. All you need to do is open the door. If a security system goes off, just reach in and press the button on the fob that you just gained access to.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:33 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Yeah, my wife's truck is an 08, I just got a regular dodge key cut to open the door as a spare.

The alarm goes off, but when you start the truck up, it goes off. No worries.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:00 AM

My 06 has never done this and let it warm up all the time. I agree the extra un-chiped key is smart and I have done this in case of lock-out... but are you sure all 06s will auto-lock?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
have an extra key in one of those magnetic hard plastic cases tucked up under the bed of the truck. its been there through 6 n.y. winters and hasnt moved! i have used it twice in 6 years! only bad part- if i need the key i have to crawl under the truck! but i carry a small tarp in my truck box so i can lay it out on the ground if need be
Old 02-11-2010, 09:04 AM

Just had this happen today on my '06. Lucky for me I was at home with an extra key inside. But, just in case I have a 3rd key planted in a magnetic box and had to use that once before. Gotta watch these smart trucks they play games with you.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I think I remember someone here that added a hidden button to unlock his doors.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:37 AM
eot

Well the dodge dealer belive it or not cut me one judt to unlock my door. Did not even charge me and i did not buy the truck there. Mine is in one of those boxes on outside of truck now! Just did not want one of you guys get locked out at say a rest stop or something like that. Because I thought i was screwed! But you know the sherriffs dept. has a small plactic wedge used at top of door then put in the top what looked like you get your blood pressre checked with. It pumped up opened the top enough then put in a coat hager and hit my window button down and got me in. But i sure could see someone charglng alot to get you in one if you were on the road somewhere. And yes my 01 had a sperate fob. I liked it alot better than this big ole key I have now.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:07 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been locked out more than I'd like to admit. And I've had the truck lock itself while running too. Just stash a conventional key on the truck that will open the door. Costs about a buck. Mine's in a magnetic Hide-a-key stuck under the bed rail where I can grab it and be in a a few second. It is annoying though and if I reach in through an open window, unlock the door, and open it from the outside it seems to set off the alarm.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:58 PM

That's odd. My doors only seem to lock if I hit the unlock button and don't open the door within 30 secs. Other than that they will stay unlockd.

Quick Reply: Locked Out!!!!