3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Line of Fire install

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Line of Fire install

Installing this is about as straight forward and easy as it gets. There's no need for a write up, but I'm sure there's some folks out there who are like me and want to see pictures of things like this and how they install before buying the parts. I couldnt find anybody with pics of what I wanted before buying it, so I'm putting some up now.

This is what came in the box

And here is the back side showing the 3M tape

First off plug the 4 pin connector into the trailer harness to make sure all the LED's light up and do what theyre suppose to. Since mine has the clear LED's for reverse I taped the white wire along with the other harness for a little cleaner looking install. I didnt think of this untill it was already mounted, so it looks like junk.

This is the part that bothered me before I bought the part. I wasnt sure I had enough room between the lip of my bumper, spare tire winch hole, and tail gate lip for the bar to mount. After test fitting I found there was plenty of room.

Next is to remove the tailgate and measure inward 2" from each corner and put a mark (this will help you center the light strip). Use the alchohol pad to clead the surface for the tape to stick (if you mount it that way) I started on the drivers side and peeled off the backing of the 3M tape, and stuck it where I wanted it, then moved on down the line.

I took the bar out from under the pass. seat to make sure I could still raise and lower my spare.

Then I routed the wires under the truck and followed the wire harness from the drivers side taillight.

Next is to plug the connector into the 4 pin trailer harness under the truck

Then I spliced the white wire (clear LED's for reverse) into the wire for my driver's side reverse light. On my 06 it is the White with Green stripe.

And PRESTO....it's done.

The screws you see hold the L shaped bracket the LED's are mounted on to some small plates that the 3M take is on. You can remove the screws and remove the plates, then use screws or bolts to attatch the LED's with. After installing it with the tape the L bracket sticks out away from the body of the truck just a tad and comes real close to hitting the lip of the tailgate when it's opened. I'm going to give this a few days to make sure I like the LEDs then remove it, paint the bracket white to blend in with the truck, then remove the tape and use stainless bolts and nuts to attatch it. I've had bad luck with tape before....even properly installed 3M tape....so I dont trust it much.

Anyways, there ya go. I also have some Recon Big Rig running lights I will be installing this afternoon. I'll take pics and do a small write up for those too.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the write up, looks good. Would like to have seen some with it lit up though.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:44 PM

Nice write up. I plan on doin this soon. Howbout some night pics with it all lit up...
Old 01-30-2009, 03:51 PM

Yup, just waitin for the sun to go down! I just finished installing my Recon Big Rig running lights too. Fixin to do a lil writeup on them with pics aswell. Waitin for the sun to go down for night shots of them too.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:07 PM

Good write up....we need a how-to section in each generation forum so things like this can become permanent.
You know a 3rd gen how-to! Maybe the mods can help us out... hint hint.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:12 PM

nice write up. i have been thinking of getting one for my ride. i noticed on the Costco website that they are selling the Line of Fire w/Reverse lights for $59 and the regular Line of Fire for $39. Those seem like good prices, so I may have to spring for one after your write up.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:58 PM

I like the idea of a how-to section!

Here's some dusk and night shots.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i had my truck line-x. so i could not use the tape. (not good adhesion) i used a couple of stainless steel nuts and bolts, along with a couple of stainless steel washers as spacers.- so i am able to get to the "hole" in case i need to lower the spare tire. i obviously primed and painted the little holes i had to drill.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:42 AM

Well done and thanks for taking the time to post this!

one question.... Do the reverse leds create and usable light while reversing?Bob
Old 01-31-2009, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Crankpot

one question.... Do the reverse leds create and usable light while reversing?Bob
I have the same light bar on my truck and the white l.e.d.'s make SOME usable light. They do def get anyone's attention that is behind you though!
Old 01-31-2009, 09:18 AM

Good write up. Instead of using the supplied taped blocks, I used some Industrial Strength velcro. I should have removed the tailgate, but I managed to get it on straight.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by 05HDRAM
Good write up. Instead of using the supplied taped blocks, I used some Industrial Strength velcro. I should have removed the tailgate, but I managed to get it on straight.
Hey the Velcro is a great idea, wish I would have thought of that when I installed mine.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Crankpot

There aint much light on the ground since the lights aim straight back....but if your fixin to back into a pole, another vehicle, barn door, ect...it helps. They aint flood lights though.