3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Just got my Recons

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Just got my Recons

The Fed Ex man just delivered my Recon Smoked Cab Lights and I just couldn't wait to put em on! So, 15 minutes after he dropped em off, they're on my truck and I must say that they look sharp on my red dually! After all the complaints that I read about the connectors, I had planned on doing away with them and soldering and heat shrinking the wires. After I looked at the connectors, I just couldn't resist the plug and play connector. I thought they were a plug that had a connection in it, but they aren't. They just stripped back some of the wires insulation, pushed them thru the holes in the plastic connector, bent them over into the grooves, and glued the wires into the connector. It looked good to me so I used them. The only problem I can see is that over time, those wires could tarnish or oxidize so I put some bulb grease on the connector before plugging them in. If I have one to go out, I'll just do away with the plugs one at a time as that fail. Also, I don't think that mine are gonna leak either. The gasket made a positive connection with my cab all the way around the light. The rubber washers are a little soft, so I tightened the screws down just to the point that they didn't mash the washer all the way down because if you do, the washer will pop up off the screw head. If I have any leaks at all, I'm gonna put just a dab of RTV around the outside of the wiring hole on the cab and replace those soft rubber washers with a little bit stiffer washer so I can tighten the lights down just a little more. Now, I'm gonna sit back and wait for the rain and see what happens! Also they're gonna have to prove me wrong on this, but I think these are good quality lights.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:13 PM

Congrats on the lights, I love the way mine look. As far as them leaking, mine did not leak for the first few months, but the first hard rain here I got a leak above the driver's side visor. Just put a little silicone under the light and put it back on. No leaks since.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:12 PM

Cool, I figured the way those washers are so soft you can't tighten down the lights as good as the stock ones were that after awhile in heat and everything those gaskets will dry out some and shrink a little and you could get a leak. For now they're awesome and it did just rain here.... no leaks right now. That's funny that I said I was gonna sit back and wait for the rain and I didn't have to wait but an hour.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Banned

I've had mine for 6 months and no troubles!!! Excellent products.. Installed them on four trucks!!!
Old 09-08-2007, 02:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
posi-locks connectors and dielectric grease-solves the corrosion issue!
Old 09-08-2007, 02:46 PM

had mine for like 5 months now i like them i used the factory screws and washers they worked and mached better and they kept goin dim on me the connection wasnt to great but if you add a little dielectric grease it works fine havent had a problem since.
good luck hope you like them
Old 09-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Banned

Heath and RECON did have a bad batch some time ago.....Heath is happy to take calls from anyone who got a set from that batch.

Having said that, I'm with Shane. Installed four sets, one set was on the 04 Dakota my son took off to college....no problems.

I have since added RECON smoked taillights (which look good on a silver truck....would look PERFECT on a red truck), the line-of-fire and BigRig lights.

As soon as they get the 07 headlights I'll have them too.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:42 PM

What? Smoked LED tail lights too! Oh no, let me check my wallet. Everytime I think I have everything!
Old 09-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Banned

gtaj4.....Something on the relative down-low....for you 02-05 guys....might want to ask Heath about projector beam headlights. The ones I have seen look AWESOME!!

I only say "down-low" because I think these are "destined" for production some time soon. There is NO secret.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Recon Website...

For those interested in Recon lights and want to visit their site directly, the proper website is http://www.gosocom.com/

Type in recon dot com and you get directed to a website that is not meant for most of us. The wife walked past right as that site came up and remarked "What the heck was I doing at that kind of site?" I swear even my dogs look at me funny now...
Old 09-09-2007, 12:14 AM

I think I read somewhere on here that Recon is making template for those of us that didn't get them from the factory so we won't have to get the ugly amber ones installed at the dealership then also buy the Recons.. anyone know if its true?
Old 09-09-2007, 02:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on the new lights! Funny you should mention them...because mine just arrived today too.

I haven't put them on yet....but maybe tomorrow. Look very nice even in the box...
Old 09-09-2007, 10:16 AM

I have the clear covers, and noticed yesterday that the three on the passenger side are turning yellow. The other two look fine. I dunno whats up with that.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Megadeth
I think I read somewhere on here that Recon is making template for those of us that didn't get them from the factory so we won't have to get the ugly amber ones installed at the dealership then also buy the Recons.. anyone know if its true?
Actually....www.gosocom.com or www.gorecon.com will get you where you need to go.

As for the template....yep! Shane sent one in a while ago....and I sent mine in to Heath (he should have received it last Tuesday). The one I sent had the additional locations for a Dakota.

Call Heath and he'll hook you up.