3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Installed cup smoothie, now my console lid won't open

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed cup smoothie, now my console lid won't open

I just installed a Geno's Cup Smoothie on my 08 (all of one month old). I installed washers under the latch as instructed. I used two washers because they were thin. Then I tried closing it nicely and it didn't latch, so I tried again a little harder and it closed, now there is no way to open it. I'm a good sized guy and I cannot even get that latch to budge one bit.

Before I installed it, I did have a problem once with the latch, it stuck on me but I was able to finally get it with a couple of pretty hard squeezes. I'm not knocking the Cup Smoothie, because I think I have a stubborn latch. Any suggestions on how to free this thing up? I already tried WD-40 and so far nothing but sore fingers.

Dave
Old 03-07-2008, 07:33 PM

Try pushing down gently on the front of it, if not pull up, while working the latch, mine gets better everyday with use.....
Old 03-07-2008, 07:39 PM

raise it up enough the smoothie and go down flat, it is a pain to get right
Old 03-07-2008, 07:55 PM

Tried both, no luck. This thing is stuck.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:00 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Put your palm directly above the latch and push down as hard as you can to help take the pressure off of it. Then push the handleWith the cupholder in there, it has too much tension on the latch for you to overcome with the latch handle. Been there and done that! ( Not with the cupholder though ) They can be a real bear! Take a break and have a cold beverage. Sometimes just walking away can help tremendously!
Old 03-07-2008, 08:49 PM

This is being passed along from another member that helped me out when I installed my CoverKing seat covers... hope this helps...it shows you how to shim the latch downward, worked great!

http://www.genosgarage.com/installat...older03-07.pdf
Old 03-07-2008, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by AkitaSumo
This is being passed along from another member that helped me out when I installed my CoverKing seat covers... hope this helps...it shows you how to shim the latch downward, worked great!

http://www.genosgarage.com/installat...older03-07.pdf
Yep, those are the directions they sent to me. I shimmed it with two washers on each screw. I'll give it another try tomorrow.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:26 PM

i started with that cupholder got aggravated put on the cfm intake and came back to it the horn was alot easier the latch is a pain. my cupholder would hit the seat and push up with the screw in the inside. i bought to black trim screw and put then on each side of the latch catch that help alot. mine got stuck several times during this and i didnt think it was gonna open again just walk away and come back to it
Old 03-07-2008, 11:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've installed this on my '08, my father's '05, and my uncles '06. I had the same problem on all three, with my uncles being the worst. I finally figured out the problem. On the latch, there is a little sliver of metal that, when the latch is horizontal (as in when the lid is closed), slides so that it does not interfere with the latch. When the latch is vertical (as in when the lid is open and upright), the sliver slides downwards and prevents the latch from opening. I cannot figure out why Dodge did this, but it is there nonetheless. I had to work my uncles for nearly 30 minutes to get it unlatched because the little sliver had not fallen back to it's resting position. Try pushing the cup smoothie upwards or pushing it downwards while trying the latch. Try pushing the cup smoothie in and pull out while trying the latch. If you just can't get it to budge, try going for a drive over the bumpiest road you can. Try and shake that shim loose so that the latch can operate.

When you get it opened, take the latch back off and you will be able to see the sliver i am talking about. What I did was drop some glue around the swivel-pin for the sliver and set it horizontal for about 30 minutes. This keeps the sliver from sliding around and keeps it in the "unlock" position. My uncles latch has worked flawlessly since.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:51 AM

Mine has done that once since installing the cup holder.
I pushed and pulled every way possible with no success.
I finally gave it a good thump with my fist right around the latch area and it opened right up.
Has not done it since.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:40 AM

Same problem here...used a hammer and block of wood to persuade mine to open. Now, it works fine.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:30 AM

Does sound like the "latch lock" rotated on you - the hard bang approach will get it open - just be careful not to break anything!
Is the latch handle bottom edge hitting the smoothie anywhere? If so, this will jam the latch as well - the bang approach still works. When you get it open, take a file or Dremel and trim the edge of the recess in the Smoothie back enough to eliminate the contact. I've done this on 3 now, and it eliminates the need for washers under the latch.
Good luck!
Old 03-09-2008, 12:08 AM

Okay, I tried every which way but the big bang method, no luck. I put almost all of my 260 pounds on that thing and it didn't budge. This is real close to breaking my spirit.

JIMCTD, the latch is almost touching the back of the smoothie and may have hit it when I closed it. I'll try the bang approach tomorrow, but that sure makes me nervous!

Thanks to everyone for the input. This is starting to get embarassing.

Dave
Old 03-09-2008, 01:27 AM

I had the same issue what I did is use a dental tool and inseted it to release the safety pin thing. Once I did that and got it open I then took the latch off and cut that **** safety latch out. Problem solved except when its up it could open.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:17 AM

after i got mine shimmed properly (took more than most due to the console cover that came with seat covers), the actual handle itself was what couldn't move. i took a dremmel and just widened the opening for the handle. works like a charm.

Quick Reply: Installed cup smoothie, now my console lid won't open