3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

I contacted the Road Safety Division of the Canadian Transportation Board.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first thanks all for the hard work..

May I ask what size is the tubing for the blow by fix???
Old 10-17-2004, 06:52 PM

May I ask what size is the tubing for the blow by fix??? [/B][
/QUOTE]

The clear tubing I bought is 3/4" I.D. You can buy it by the foot or in my case Home Depot had it already made up in 10' rolls. You also need a hose clamp and some zip ties.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:21 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I got my first wiff of fumes while in Newfoundland. It was right after I changed oil. The mechanic overfilled the crankcase. I kept telling him he was putting in too much - - he was a little challenged in the math figuring out liters, gallons, quarts, time of day, what day of the week, etc. He overfilled by 2 quarts. He started it before I caught it. We then emptied some, but I think he may have spilled some on the manifold plus the overfill and start. It took about a week to clear up, then quit. I have heard others say they smelled it right after an oil change.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:48 AM

Well I don't know if I should just fix it myself or take it to the dealer and get the problem noted and fixed....

But first looks like I will have to convince them about the problem first.... then maybe it will be a major trial to get it fixed..
Old 10-18-2004, 10:14 AM

My dealer says it's supposed to be that way just because they compared it with one other truck on the lot that is the same. They won't go any further than that.

I filed a safety complaint with NHTSA here: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/

If they get enough complaints, they're going to realize it's a problem and hopefully they can put some pressure on DC to resolve the issue.

I'm still trying to find the right part numbers. I think I have the part number for the flapper, but not the larger plug. The larger one isn't that much of an issue though as it could be taped over without any issues. I'll post the part numbers when the parts come in and are installed and verified as the correct plugs.

David
Old 10-18-2004, 10:39 AM

Well - I droped it off and told them to contact the STAR service center... I also call Ron Tucker in the Mid West and he stated to have my dealer call the Tech Service Center and they wil have the pre tsb info......................... so we shall see..
Old 10-18-2004, 11:17 AM

Would you mind PM'ing me the contact information for Ron Tucker?

Thanks

Old 10-18-2004, 12:06 PM

Well I submitted my complaint also. I had my truck in for the smell and a few other things and they said there was no fix for the problem at this time. I had no idea that the smell I was getting was exhaust fumes. Can someone post more detail on the contacts for the pre-TSB and any numbers associated with it? Thanks
Old 10-18-2004, 05:39 PM

well - dealer called and stated tech talked to STAR and here are no issues or documented cases as of right now!!

*edited added following ***

In a sense I feel stupid for telling them to call STAR and they should "know"... The dealer was very nice and just took my tuck in and told me they would contact STAR... The tech stated could not reproduce the "exhaust fumes".. I did not try the perfume test with all the windows up/etc.. but after reading this post and smelling stuff a lot at stop lights and city driving "off and on" I took it in.... I have the service ticket with all the info on it.. I am tempting to take a picture and post it for you to see....

I wonder if all I am getting is blowby exhaust form the engine hose???

Also - I do not want to keep crying wolf with the dealer and TSBs because when I really do have an issue they may not listen.... I already went in with the flash issue...

***any comments please ****
Old 10-18-2004, 07:14 PM

please is above posting.. comments welcome.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:36 PM

My dealer was no help. All they said was that there is no TSB so they cannot do anything for me.

I just wrote DC an e-mail explaining this issue in detail and referenced my complaint with NHTSA. I asked them for immediate resolution. We'll see what happens.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:25 PM

Send them to this web page they have internet at DC. I was not suprised your responce from STAR trek. As usual it is easier to fix this yourself then take it to the dealer. Out of pocket cost are under 20 bucks for all the stuff I know this should be done from the factory but just remember it's Dodge were dealing with here.

IMO the 3rd gens smell more than the other years maybe they are lowering tail pipe emissions by routing them out the breather hose........
Old 10-18-2004, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok I had three smells in my cab. The first one was exhaust, when ever I was driving I could smell a strong exhaust smell in the cab of the truck. my friends refused to ride in it with me so I did some investingating. The exhaust pipe I felt might be causing the exhaust to pool underneath the box, as it was being pushed forward and then back up underneath the truck. and being that my door seals didnt exactly seal i figured that exhaust was leaking in. Sure enough I extended my exhaust pipe about 2 to 3 inches with a tip and sure enough the exhaust smell almost disappeared, only time i smell it now is when I am sitting still. Second is raw diesel, this has come and gone and still dont know why, I have checked my shoes, made sure I didnt spill any and also made sure that I didnt over fill the tank. like I said it comes and goes. Third is the crankcase smell. I hardly ever notice it anymore but people who get into my truck say it stinks. I changed my oil to Duron and it seems to be less. Still not a total fix but non the less it is better then nothing. I have been to the dealer numerous times about these problems and all they have said is oh well, We cant reproduce it. So I guess I am stuck with the slight smells sometimes, Needless to say I explained once I put my exhaust tip on the exhaust smell almost dissapeared, all they said was well good for you. Yes makes you wonder does it, are these trucks safe to drive I get headaches all the time driving my truck not sure if it is the way the window is sloped or the fumes themselves, either way I still get them. I hope after awhile I figure this out. good luck and I hope something comes of it.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:41 AM

I'm still in disbelief that DC's first official fix for dealers on this issue is a scent additive. They offered me lemon. lmao I wonder if they have bacon available. That sounds more appealing to me. I'll have to ask them when the reply to me.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:27 AM

Bacon may just be the answer in the form of Bacon Grease mixed in with the B100 Biodiesel

Quick Reply: I contacted the Road Safety Division of the Canadian Transportation Board.