3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

I contacted the Road Safety Division of the Canadian Transportation Board.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, does anyone really have a fix for this. I thought it was just me until I read this today. Mine doesn't seem real bad but I do notice it. The longest we have been in the trcuk so far was an hour and both my wife and son were complaining they had headaches. I never thought anything of this until I read this today.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by RonP
Ok, does anyone really have a fix for this. I thought it was just me until I read this today. Mine doesn't seem real bad but I do notice it. The longest we have been in the trcuk so far was an hour and both my wife and son were complaining they had headaches. I never thought anything of this until I read this today.
RonP,

Most who have had this problem, haven't really noticed it while driving down the road. It usually is a problem when movement has stopped. You may have another problem.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:44 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Now that its cooled off I have the smell back.

Last Friday I was idling at a red light and both of us had burning eyes. I will be talking to the dealer this week.
Its warm today [got up to 84F here] so it was not noticable.
Strange thing about it is it only occurs when its colder out.
Even though I have the windows up most of the time in the summer with the AC on, it never bothers me.

Of course I never got another call from the gov after the initial contact with them stating...
We are looking into it.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:19 PM

I guess I could have been more clear. Alot of the hour was spent in traffic and redlights. I don't think is bad and it could have been a pure coincidence they had headaches. Just going to keep an eye on it.
Thanks guys
Old 10-06-2004, 10:40 PM

Sick of it!!!

Welll, I'm really tired of it. There's no excuse for this. Today I bought a carbon monoxide detector as a precaution and have it in the truck. It wasn't comforting that when I held it by the exhaust pipe it didn't go off. Apparently from what I read it takes a few minutes for them to sound an alarm.

Last night I went to the NHTSA website and filed a complaint on the issue. I did a search for other people with this problem and the NHTSA has a few other complaints logged as well. So, it would be helpful if more people made them realize this is not a few isolated incidents. If you want to file a complaint, go here:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/

Maybe if enough of us complain something will be done rather than the usual dealer run-around.

~ David
Old 10-07-2004, 06:51 AM

I posted under “Diesel Smell in Cab” that Dodge might have a fix! The service manager at the dealership got what he said is a pre-TSB fix from his technical zone man. It includes a flap to close the hole in the firewall and different thickness of tape to seal the cover. He applied the fix to my 2500 at the beginning of September and since then I've got about 5000 miles on the truck and the diesel fumes have been reduced by 99%. I still get a whiff now and again but nothing like it was before the fix. The big test is coming up, I’ll be changing the oil and we’ll see if it still works, in the past its always been worse after an oil change.

Check with your dealer’s service manager, if he hasn’t heard about the fix tell him to contact the mid-west technical zone guy at Dodge, hopefully this help you.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:33 AM

Like most who have had the smell when stopped in traffic or at a light it finally went away at 25,000 miles.

I'd really like to know why that is?

Doesn't make any sense

Ron W.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by cby52
Check with your dealer’s service manager, if he hasn’t heard about the fix tell him to contact the mid-west technical zone guy at Dodge, hopefully this help you.
I've been that route. All they are willing to do is check the new trucks on the lot and of course -- they are the same and there is no TSB. I argued my point, prooved how the fumes get in the cowl, but they say there is no TSB and all the trucks are like that so anything I do to fix it voids the warranty. I'm so sick of it.

Do you by chance have any contact info for this guy?

Thanks,

David
Old 10-11-2004, 09:45 AM

Originally posted by dsteinke
I've been that route. All they are willing to do is check the new trucks on the lot and of course -- they are the same and there is no TSB. I argued my point, prooved how the fumes get in the cowl, but they say there is no TSB and all the trucks are like that so anything I do to fix it voids the warranty. I'm so sick of it.

Do you by chance have any contact info for this guy?...
Ask ("Tell") your SM to contact Ron Tucker, Service Manager at Champion Dodge 847-382-2583 for more info. I would think he would at least talk to another SM to see what's been done.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scotty, sorry to hear about your troubles. I know it's frustrating as anything to be lied to to your face by the dealer. That has happened to me before and I never went back, although I regret not going back and causing a stink. Sounds like you let it go as well, about their lying, and I urge you to confront them! It's just not right that they tell you they did something and they clearly didn't. That's just not right.

I also wonder why some trucks are having this problem and some aren't. It doesnt make sense to cover up some holes that were designed to be there for SOME reason from the factory. It would seem that something else is wrong/leaking.

My 04 had the slight crankcase vent odor in the cab when stopped at lights with the air/vent on when it was brand new. Also after the first oil change or two with d1300 it had a slight smell for 100-200 miles. However, now the smell is gone at all times. Never smell anything as long as the windows are up. I'm not sure if it's because my truck has racked a few more miles on it (makes no sense) or because I switched to Delvac 1. It seems like something must be defective or leaking on the 'stinky trucks'.

Sorry to hear about your stinky truck Scotty - especially after all the crap you went through WAITING for the darn thing - some of us have been around long enough to remember that.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:34 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Lightman, the dealer is prepared to do whatever we can to fix this. We waited over the summer as we thought the problem was gone.

Its our government that dropped the ball on enforcing a solution or even finding one as they said they would.

I have a power steering leak and a rear main seal leak that needs to be done, I plan to drop the truck off for all issues very soon.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best of luck with it, and your dealer. It's good that they 'appear' to be on your side at the moment, it's just very hard for me to not be skeptical after they lied to you about the initial repair.

If your government is anything like ours, prepare to cough on fumes for quite some time
Old 10-11-2004, 06:39 PM

I have posted this in another forum here as well as the NWbombers site........What you are getting in your cab is mostly blowby from the crankcase vent tube as well as a occassional wiff of exaust.

repeat after me.....
YOU NEED TO LENGTHEN YOUR BREATHER HOSE

I too tried the cowl fix that helped some but extending the breather hose finally fixed the promblem period.... infact I would do that before plugging up the cowl holes next time around.

The pictures that will follow will hopefully help you fix it for good I would skip the dealer it is to easy for them to _uck up anything outside the box.

Picture one is the stock end of the breather hose:
Old 10-11-2004, 06:43 PM

Breather extension picture 2:
Old 10-11-2004, 06:48 PM

This is run along the right frame rail.

Quick Reply: I contacted the Road Safety Division of the Canadian Transportation Board.