3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

I contacted the Road Safety Division of the Canadian Transportation Board.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ended the breather hose into the transmission mount were it meets the frame this was because I wanted to protect the hose from snow and ice build up. I choose clear tubing so I could watch for plugging during future oil changes.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:57 PM

Here is the picture of the missing plugs under the cowl.......
Old 10-11-2004, 07:19 PM

Here is the missing flap tried to order one from the dealer they told me it was a valid part number but they could not get one...... not sure what that means......
Old 10-11-2004, 07:29 PM

My homemade flap I tested it by dumping several bucket of water it may someday plug but hopefulley by then the dealer can order me the right part.......
Old 10-11-2004, 07:31 PM

Tape over holes and flapper installed this is the passenger side were the blower sucks the air in....
Old 10-11-2004, 07:40 PM

I use the good tape made for jets got it at Boeing surplus hardware store sells simular this is the drivers side drain hole.......
Old 10-11-2004, 07:49 PM

You will need new clips from the auto parts store (Napa) to put it all back together don't bother using foam on the gasket the holes under the gasket is were the smell was getting in. The biggest problem with the 3rd gens is the clutch fan doesn't move much air under the hood unless it's hot outside or the AC is on.

That allows the smelly blowby vapor to build up in the engine compartment then leak into the cab through several unplugged holes.

I only get a wiff of exaust smell when the wind is against me at a stop now. When I climb out of the truck I do however smell the blowby residue that ends below my door. If i lived in a warmer climate I would extend that hose back to the rear axcel.

Hope this helps you guys it took me less time to do this in my driveway than it would take me to drive to the Dealer and back and I have the satisfaction knowing it was done.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:59 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I did something very similar but I wil inspect it again when I get to the dealer and we take it apart again. I may have missed a hole.

I forgot to mention, my brether hose goes clear back to the back fo the fuel tank.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:04 AM

Tighten the exaust clamps and the check the turbo bolts they could cause smell up under the hood also.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:05 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally posted by ttreibel
Tighten the exaust clamps and the check the turbo bolts they could cause smell up under the hood also.
did all that this spring so maybe they are loose...I am changing turbos and exhaust this month, will make sure its tight.

Scotty
Old 10-15-2004, 03:30 PM

A few months ago I did almost the exact fix as ttreibel. First I taped the holes in the cowl with aluminum duct tape (the good stuff that you peel and stick). I left about 1/2" for water to drain. When I drove to Home Depot to buy 10' of clear tubing, the smell was almost gone. I extended the breather vent 10' to just in front of the left rear wheel and secured it with zip ties. Result: NO MORE ODOR!!!
I just changed my oil (Delo400) and noticed the odor when I got out of the truck but none in the cab. This fix worked for me and was pretty easy to do.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:53 PM

I am wondering if the Delo 400 is developing a "smell" reputation like the famous Shell "rosmella". My breather defaintly is stronger after oil changes and seems to take 1500 miles to mellow out.

BTW if you live in cold climates or spend a fair amount of time driving in sub-zero temps you want to keep that breather hose short as possible they have been known to plug up and blow gaskets in the older Dodges. I have not heard one from a 3rd Gen as of yet plugging up. I used clear tubing so that I can keep an eye on it, the clear tubing cost 3 dollars more but is worth it for piece of mind.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:35 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Thanks for the tip on the breather hose brother of John!

I will look at some clear hose asap.

Scotty
Old 10-15-2004, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by Scotty
Thanks for the tip on the breather hose brother of John!

Scotty
He is much better looking and a nicer guy that brother John!
Old 10-15-2004, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by Big Bob
He is much better looking and a nicer guy that brother John!

...and poorer....

Bob you are going to get me in a boatload of trouble

Quick Reply: I contacted the Road Safety Division of the Canadian Transportation Board.