3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

How tough is it to replace headlight bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How tough is it to replace headlight bulbs?

I have hated the factory bulb since I bought my truck and bought some Silver star bulbs which I hope are better than stock. From what I read they sould be be better. How do you access the back of the headlight housing to replace the bulb?

Thanks in advance

Jet~~~
Old 11-12-2005, 10:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It is very easy to replace the lamps. If you did the driver's side, there are two screws with hex heads on the left (as you look at the front of the lens), and one on the bottom right just above the crease inbetween the fender and platsic thing above the bumper, towards the rear of the marker lens. I think they were either 13mm or 15mm heads, I think. Then pull straight out towards you. I also have the Silver Stars.

I tried an auxilary relay from Painless Wiring, but the lamp out system won't let the relay energize. So, now I have The Bite Box and I love it, http://www.thebritebox.com/3g.ram.bb.stages.html. Having a problem with the "Lamp Out" indicator showing a lamp out until I turn em on, but just need to let the guy know so he can send a replacement. But it works as he said it would.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't like the factory light output either and I am too cheap to buy the britebox so I modified the fog lights to replace the factory 9006 bulb with the 9005 bulb (do a search...there are many threads on this). After that I made my own mod for about $10 and it hasn't tripped the "lamp out" indicator. It involves adding an inline fuse and 2 basic relays. Now when I turn my high beams on I get the high beams, the low beams, and the fog lights which now have high beam bulbs. It's bright!

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=74674

Changing the headlight bulbs is on page 367 of your 2004 owner's manual which includes a few drawings.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:18 AM

I read that thread and have a thought. Someone mentioned about how color made no difference in candlepower. Well, part correct. Ideally, you do want the most white light possible. Remember back in science... when you see something that is green, the reason is because it is absorbing every color that is being shined on it except green which it reflects back to you. Black absorbs every color and reflect little back, white reflects every color and absorbs very little. Therefore, an object reflects back the color it appears as minus the light being shined upon it (if a white light isn't pure white (missing some color making it appear yellowish), then no more than the same color can be reflected back.

My point is, though the lumens of a light may be the same, the lower the "color temperature" is, the less color, or full light, you will see off the objects you are looking at. The whiter the light, the more you will see. Why do you think new high end headlights, parking lot lights, Musco ball field lights... they all use metal halide or HID lighting?

-MA Licensed Electrician, Electrical Instructor, member of the International Association of Electrical Inspectors.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the idea's. From what I read my 04 takes a 9007 and one of the above guys notes a 9006 or a 9005, from what I see they will not fit?

Jet~~~
Old 11-13-2005, 10:23 AM

oops he was talking about his fog light with the 9005/06. I am headed out right ow to get a little more white light out there

Jet~~~
Old 11-13-2005, 01:27 PM

Thanks Boy's... piece of cake especially if you have a 1/4" long extension for the 10mm bolt that is hidden between the fender and lower edge of the light.

Jet~~~
Old 11-13-2005, 10:05 PM

Ya, that was it! A 10mm hex head.